08-03-2012 02:26 AM
26 12
tools

[BOX="Get To Know Apktool"]It is a tool for reverse engineering 3rd party, closed, binary Android apps. It can decode resources to nearly original form and rebuild them after making some modifications; it makes possible to debug smali code step by step. Also it makes working with app easier because of project-like files structure and automation of some repetitive tasks like building apk, etc.

It is NOT intended for piracy and other non-legal uses. It could be used for localizing, adding some features or support for custom platforms and other GOOD purposes. Just try to be fair with authors of an app, that you use and probably like.[/BOX]

[BOX="What Do I Need To Run It?"]JRE (Java Runtime Environment). Get it here[/BOX]

[BOX="How Do I Install It?"]Windows:
    1. Download package attached to Thread
    2. Unpack the package in your C:\ directory ie: C:\apktool
    [/BOX]

[BOX="How Do I Decode A File?"]
    1. Place the apk in the same location as apktool
    2. Open Windows Command Processor.
    3. Move to the directory to where apktool is located. ie: cd C:\apktool
    4. Type in the decode command with the apk name. ie: apktool d Launcher.apk
    5. Done!
    [/BOX]

[BOX="How Do I Package My Folder Up Now?"]
    1. Open Windows Command Processor.
    2. Move to the directory to where apktool is located. ie: cd C:\apktool
    3. Type in the build command with the apk folder directory. ie: apktool b C:\apktool\Launcher
    4. Done!
    [/BOX]

[BOX="But How Do I Sign It Now?!"]
    1. Open Windows Command Processor.
    2. Move to the directory to where SignApk is located. ie: cd C:\signapk
    3. Type in the sign command with the apk folder directory. ie: java -jar signapk.jar certificate.pem key.pk8 C:\apktool\Launcher.apk C:\apktool\Launcher-signed.apk
    4. Done!
    [/BOX]

[BOX="Remember About The Framework Files!"]As you probably know, Android apps use some code and resources that are built into the Android system on your device. Apktool needs these framework files to decode and build apks.

Standard framework is embedded into apktool, so you don't need to do anything for most apk files. But some manufacturers, for example Samsung, add their own framework files and use them in system apps. To use apktool against such apps, you must pull framework from a device and install/register it to apktool.
    [/BOX]
    Paul627g, inceyet, HOD1234 and 9 others like this.
    04-10-2012 12:48 PM
    Good post. Sure some inspiring themers and devs will find this useful.
    thaunknownartist likes this.
    04-10-2012 12:51 PM
    Thanks!
    04-10-2012 12:52 PM
    Good post. Sure some inspiring themers and devs will find this useful.
    Thank you so much, I'm starting to program again so I thought I should release some guides in the forums. One day I wanna be a Diet Mod or Mod for this site. All in due time
    04-10-2012 12:53 PM
    Thank you so much, I'm starting to program again so I thought I should release some guides in the forums. One day I wanna be a Diet Mod or Mod for this site. All in due time
    Good recommendation, if your going to do a "generalized guide" like this one I would post it up in the Hacking forums. That way all members/users across the board can benefit from it.

If its going to be device specific based guide then choose the device forum of choice.
    04-10-2012 12:58 PM
    Good recommendation, if your going to do a "generalized guide" like this one I would post it up in the Hacking forums. That way all members/users across the board can benefit from it.

If its going to be device specific based guide then choose the device forum of choice.
    Good to know, next Guide I release that is universal, I will post into the Hacking section. This was just a write-up that I did real quick right now while I was updating my launcher. Thank you for the recommendation.
    04-10-2012 01:00 PM
    I love this tool... I use it every day

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2
    04-10-2012 01:42 PM
    I love this tool... I use it every day

Now a guide for everyone
    04-10-2012 01:49 PM
    I have a question: how do I sign zips using signjar? I've tried using it to resign zips but it never works

04-10-2012 02:12 PM
    I have a question: how do I sign zips using signjar? I've tried using it to resign zips but it never works

2nd to last box
    04-10-2012 02:33 PM
    Love the tool and it has been making rebuilding my OM ROM easier, and sign all the apps with the same key: everything works. The only problem I'm having is signing the phone app, it always force closes and with the new version I always get "W: Skipping "android" package group." and fails to compile.

It is the only app that does this.
    04-10-2012 04:08 PM
    Love the tool and it has been making rebuilding my OM ROM easier, and sign all the apps with the same key: everything works. The only problem I'm having is signing the phone app, it always force closes and with the new version I always get "W: Skipping "android" package group." and fails to compile.

It is the only app that does this.
    I don't understand what you mean? Explain
    04-12-2012 11:13 AM
    Okay, so I did figure it, had to use a none edited/modified Phone.apk (some how the one that I was using was corrupted) and I copied the testkey and signkey from the Android SDK and that worked.
    04-12-2012 12:17 PM
    i thought you didnt have to sign system apps?
    04-12-2012 01:11 PM
    If you look inside the META-INF you'll see that they are signed, plus when the phone boots up it looks for the signature a logcat showed me that.
    04-12-2012 01:30 PM
    i thought you didnt have to sign system apps?
    You don't have to, but it is always better too.
    04-21-2012 10:51 AM
    Useful Bump
    05-03-2012 08:09 AM
    Useful Bump
    Very useful bump. Apktool is amazing.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
    05-03-2012 08:21 AM
    For some reason I can't get apktool to work on widows! Is there a guide for dummies ( Ian serious) thanks
    05-04-2012 12:48 AM
    For some reason I can't get apktool to work on widows! Is there a guide for dummies ( Ian serious) thanks
    Do you have Java in your system path?
    05-04-2012 02:59 AM
    you need the java runtime environment installed. ypu may have java already and still can't get it to function. update java and it should operate ok. i had that problem.
    05-04-2012 09:45 AM
    ok ran into an issue after compiling my first test signed apk. i get application not installed.

i took Gallery3D.apk out of iho just as a test and decompiled it properly,then just changed two items. background that the gallery uses and the icon of the application. then recompiled and signed it. all appeared to work well. then i tried to install to see if the changes worked. but the application would not install. any ideas?

[edit] just to be more specific. i edited the icon and background image in photoshop and saved out. the images saved correctly as they were still the same format,color depth,etc. but thats all i can think it would be. that the images didnt actually save correctly.
    05-09-2012 06:13 PM
    a good debugging method is to connect your phone to your computer and run a logcat. Then while the logcat is going, try installing the apk and the logcat will tell you why it didn't install.
    curtis1973 likes this.
    05-09-2012 06:25 PM
    If that is a system app, you cant install it just push it to /system/apps.
    curtis1973 likes this.
    05-09-2012 06:42 PM
    Thanks for all.................
    08-02-2012 06:05 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD