If you've been thinking of messing with your IMIE, think hard.

Legislation is in the works that will make changing certain parts of your smart phone's code a federal crime.

Carriers Commit to Stolen Cell Phone Database | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

https://twitter.com/#!/ChuckSchumer/...24809402400768

I've posted this to prevent those who are just following instructions they found somewhere online from committing a crime without realizing it.
    04-10-2012 02:59 PM
    This is actually two parts.

The first is the same as we already see, where Sprint blocks stolen phones. However, this doesn't stop people from taking a stolen Sprint Phone over to Cricket (who is notorious for it) and using it there. That is the national database and is normal in many other countries.

The second half makes it a crime to stop people from changing the ID number to a different phone to evade the database. The original federal law stated you couldn't change that number for any reason. This was later changed to be legal, so long as it was done without the intent to defraud. That is the current federal law. So changing it to evade the database would still be intent to defraud.

It looks like they haven't even removed the intent portion, since it says it's a crime to evade the database. Based on that, it would still be legal to take two legal phones, and swap these numbers (if the article presents it correctly and depending on how the law gets written). Which also means they having done anything really except create a national database, which I think is a good idea since so far carriers haven't done squat really.

I also love how it can take up to 18 months to reach the national database. WTF!
    So you can steal it, take it to another carrier for 18 months before they shut it off? That is pretty pointless since many people only keep a phone for 1-2 years anyhow.
    04-10-2012 04:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD