A few questions regarding the VM670ZV9 update

jccjr1982

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

I skimmed through some of the threads regarding VM670ZV9, and couldn't find anything regarding these questions...

1: If I have already updated to VM670ZV9, does the radio update portion stay even if I re-root/flash to a custom ROM afterwards?

2: Do any of the current custom ROM packages include radio updates/"downgrades"?

Basically I want to start fresh with my phone: restore my stock ROM, completely wipe my cluttered SD card, update to VM670ZV9 via the official means, re-root my phone, then install a new recovery + ROM. (With hopes that the latest radio update stays on my phone).

I know I could just flash the radio update posted by LeslieAnn, but I really want to start with a clean state since I done and tested so much with my phone.

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
The radio is a separate processor and it's locked up pretty tight. No ROM update will touch it except the VM update. And once you do the update there is no way to go back.

Reactions: jccjr1982

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Correct me if I am wrong, but a radio is not a processor at all. It is a signal amplifier and receiver, and in this case the signals are radio waves.

And yeah, the radio is going to be totally seperate from any file system or device you can access.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't know much of anything about the radio but it has an API and firmware. So I call it a processor. :p

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Maybe it is more accurate to say that the baseband processor talks to the radio and the baseband processor has an API and firmware. No matter, the answer is the same.

CuriousNoob

Banned
Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Maybe it is more accurate to say that the baseband processor talks to the radio and the baseband processor has an API and firmware. No matter, the answer is the same.

Ruined my overclock. :p

Virgin Mobile isn't all that slow. :(

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site

No, this is totally false. I'm not sure that you even know what a processor is or does. When you talk about a processor, you are talking algorithms. API is an interface between two pieces software, not software and hardware. A baseband might be attached to a microcontroller, bus, and/or flash memory, but it is certainly not a processor.

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
No, this is totally false. I'm not sure that you even know what a processor is or does. When you talk about a processor, you are talking algorithms. API is an interface between two pieces software, not software and hardware. A baseband might be attached to a microcontroller, bus, and/or flash memory, but it is certainly not a processor.

Okay so perhaps it's technically not a processor. I'm not a hardware engineer by any means. What do you call the piece that apparently has upgradable firmware, communicates with the cellular radio, has a control mechanism, and relays data back and forth to the kernel?

At work we produce boxes with specialized cards to do various things like SSL offload, and they have similar characteristics. Most of the time they are just called "the foo card" or "the foo chip". But sometimes they are called processors. So perhaps your definition of processor and mine are slightly different.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
You call it a radio? Dude I'm no electrical engineer either, but it's just weird that if you think a chip has firmware it is a processor. Any microchip with flash memory can have firmware. Firmware is just EEPROM dude.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
No, this is totally false. I'm not sure that you even know what a processor is or does.

You know you are a genius. tdm is not smart at all he should stop working on getting ics working for our phones because he is using the improper word for the phones radio.

gawd tdm you are such a noob man. Why are we even trusting you can continue to develop the ics we have right now.....

Enough of the snarky posts.

To the OP tdm is correct the radio is locked on these phones there is no way to change it other than via a LG update.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
You know you are a genius. tdm is not smart at all he should stop working on getting ics working for our phones because he is using the improper word for the phones radio.

gawd tdm you are such a noob man. Why are we even trusting you can continue to develop the ics we have right now.....

Enough of the snarky posts.

To the OP tdm is correct the radio is locked on these phones there is no way to change it other than via a LG update.

Oh yeah man, definitely. Let's all call radios processors, there's no problem with that at all. And totally forgive me for trying to clarify and help correct people's misconceptions, I guess that's a terrible idea. And ... blah blah blah. I'll stop now, no point in getting nasty.

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Oh yeah man, definitely. Let's all call radios processors, there's no problem with that at all. And totally forgive me for trying to clarify and help correct people's misconceptions, I guess that's a terrible idea. And ... blah blah blah. I'll stop now, no point in getting nasty.

A great idea for you would be to shut up. There's no reason to be a jerk about it. Tdm is one of the geniuses behind the OV. Who cares if he called a radio a processor. Big deal. Leave it at that

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
A great idea for you would be to shut up. There's no reason to be a jerk about it. Tdm is one of the geniuses behind the OV. Who cares if he called a radio a processor. Big deal. Leave it at that

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

No thanks. That's not really a great idea actually, I use my freedom of speech and I was only stating the facts.

Last edited:

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
No thanks. That's not really a great idea actually, I use my freedom of speech and I was only stating the facts.

I think it's a great idea! You see, freedom of speech is only one of our constitutional freedoms. There's that fifth one as well.

You weren't "stating the facts", you were being semantic. Look up processor in a dictionary. I think you'll find several definitions, depending on the dictionary, and they're fairly broad.

I imagine that the definition you're using is that of an integrated circuit that can do arithmetic, manipulate data, etc., etc. That is one definition of a processor. Then again, someone who mechanically separates meat at a slaughterhouse is also a processor.

What's that you say? That's not a fair comparison, and it's obvious by the context what we're talking about. Well, your right, but that doesn't make it any less true.

You see what we're doing here. I'll tell you: WE'RE WASTING EVERYONE'S TIME!

If you have the uncontrollable urge to go around clarifying, make sure that it's at least relevant to the conversation. Whether it's an amplifier, a processor, a lampshade, or birth control method, as long as it functions, who really cares? (by the way, that last sentence is a completely inaccurate Shakespeare quote)

This space intentionally left blank.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Yeah its probably a good idea to stop.
I dont have a problem going there but for the sake of the community I suggest you not.

Ive tried to type out a reasonable response, however as most people here can vouch, its hard for me to react reasonable to arrogant trolls. Again Im going to avoid engaging you for that reason. You are looking for this type of response and Im not going to fall for it. Be aware Im just going to report your posts from here on out if they appear to be fishing for a fight. Im sure the other member of this forum will feel the same way.

Reactions: flapjack.fiasco

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Besides, it's not an issue of it's either a radio or it's a processor. More and more components these days are built with processors embeded, so does that make it a processor as well?

The radio interplays with several different processing stages, and while it doesn't do the number crunching itself, it does have to handle signal processing.

Here's a bit more info in an easy to understand format. ;)

Reactions: flapjack.fiasco

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze