[FIX] No data/wrong SW version after VM ROM flash from Sprint ROM

jccjr1982

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
My story: (Feel free to skip)

So I accidentally flashed (yes it was actually an accident, not ignorance) the update.zip with the touch recovery.... Big mistake as it bricked my phone.

A heavy brick too; I couldn't access the phone via ADB or the recovery. Luckily "Emergency mode" was accessible, which allowed me to use the LGmobile support tool (I love how phones nowadays are almost unbreakable).

Since the Optimus V support tool ROM packages are basically broken (missing a vital DLL file), I flashed an Optimus S ROM in hopes I could root it then install a non-broken VM ROM. (In case you are wondering I tried injecting the DLL from the Optimus S package into the Optimus V package.... didn't work.)

The Sprint ROM booted, but not without problems (such as the Sprint initial set-up process taking over the phone). Eventually from an ADB shell root, I installed a custom recovery (NOT the touch recovery this time :-[).

I then flashed a stock Optimus V ROM. No data but I presumed this was because of the Sprint package flash screwing up something more internal. I then did the update.zip the right way this time (About Phone > SW Update) since I had now had the stock ROM/non-touch recovery.

Data was still broken and my phone still had the Sprint SW version in the About Phone section.

Don't bother with Virgin mobile support, nothing on their end nor anything they tell you to do will fix this.

Anyways enough of my story and I'll get to the point and tell you how to fix this.

(Typical disclaimer: I am not responsible for anything bad that may happen, and you are doing this at your own risk!)

Fixing the "SW Version" back to VM

1: Put the official VM670ZV9 Update.zip (located under "Resources" on that page) on the root of your microSD card.

2: Boot into stock recovery. You may find that it changed to holding down the volume down button, search key, and power button, while phone is off.

3: Wipe data + cache/factory reset.

4: Apply sdcard:update.zip

SW version should now reflect "VM670ZV9" instead of the Sprint LS version.

Getting data back working on your phone

Requirements:
QPST v2.7 build 366 installed
CDMA Workshop v3.8.0(Demo available from this page)
LG Mobile Device USB drivers installed and working on your computer
Your MEID HEX (located behind battery on your phone)

1: Retrieve your MSL code

• Make sure USB Debugging is enabled on your phone
  • Connect phone to computer
  • Make sure/Set your phones USB COM port to a number below 10 (Device Manager > Ports > LGE Android Platform USB Serial Port > Properties > Port Settings > Advanced > COM port number)
  • Open CDMA Workshop
  • Select the port number from step above
  • Hit "Connect."
  • Under the "Security" tab, locate "SPC / User Lock."
  • Change to "LG method," and then click "Read."
  • Your MSL code will appear. write it down, then close the program.

Note: The following steps may need to be done while phone is off, yet connected to your computer. Also, make sure your antivirus/security software is NOT "sandboxing" QPST!

2: Open "QPST Configuration".

3: In the "Ports" tab, select "Add New Port" and enter the COM port of your phone (same COM port from the above step).
Your phone should appear in the the "Active Phones" tab.

4:Click "Start Clients" on menu bar, then select "Service Programming".

5: Select your phone.

6: Click "Read from Phone".

7: Enter your MSL code when prompted (You may get an error a few moments later. Don't worry about it).

Now the critical part: (you may want back up this configuration in case you jack something up ["Save to File" button on lower right])

8: Go to "M. IP" tab. Add/Edit these profiles as necessary.
Note: For the below entries, make sure to replace the red MEID_HEX text with your actual MEID HEX (fool-proof place to find it is on phone, behind battery)

Profile 0
enab: no
nai: (blank)
tethered nai: (blank)
ha spi: 3
aaa spi: 2
rev tun: no
home: 0.0.0.0
primary: dynamic (255.255.255.255)
secondary: not set (0.0.0.0)
dmu pub: 0
mob auth: (blank)

Profile 1

enab: yes
nai: MEID_HEX@mdata.vmobl.com
ha spi: 21EF
aaa spi: 21EF
rev tun: yes
primary: not set (0.0.0.0)

Profile 2

enab: yes
nai: MEID_HEX@prov.vmobl.com
ha spi: 21EF
aaa spi: 21EF
rev tun: yes
primary: not set (0.0.0.0)

9: Click "Write to phone".

Phone should now reboot, with working data! :cool:

Last edited:

00_wrath_00

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I may brick my phone on purpose to see if this actually works lol. Thanks for posting this may come in handy.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

Badboytoast

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: [FIX] No data/wrong SW version after VM ROM flash from Sprint

Good to know there's hope! If something similar happens to my phone could I send it to you :cool:

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

Way to go! I'm sure there are more than a few users who will be very happy you wrote this up! ;)

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Excellent!
This could probably unbrick quite a few phones bricked under various circumstances.

At this point, it's getting near impossible to completely, and permanently brick this phone. Tough little buggers with a good community backing it up.

WakeUpC22

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site

Post edited for clarity and files

Had to un-soft brick my phone again and streamlined the process.

Unbricking your LG Optimus V.
1) Download the following files
LGNPST.zip
LS670ZV8_23.zip
optiauto-sfx.exe
Official OV9 Update.zip

2) Install LGNPST and Extract the Optimus S bin
A) Extract LGNPST to a folder and run LGNTPS_Components_Ver_5_0_12_0.msi, LGNTPS_General_v1.2_Lab_Version.msi, LGNTPS_Generic_Models_ver_5_0_10_0.msi restarting if needed​
B) Copy LGNTPS.exe And the Model folder to C:\LG Electronics\LGNPST.​
C) Drag and drop the LS670Z.dll over reggie.exe to register the dll.​
D) Extract the bin from LS670ZV8_23.zip to an area that is easy to locate, ie your desktop.​

4)Enter Emergency Mode.
Power off the phone completely (pull battery if necessary). Then hold down the BACK ARROW, VOL DOWN, POWER while plugging the usb cable to the phone.

5) Open LGNPST.exe as administrator, and select the bin in step 2-D
After formatting, the phone should reset. Unplug the usb so that it does not go directly to the charging screen.

6) On your desktop computer, run optiauto-sfx.exe.
After the phone finishes boot, run optiauto on your desktop. Press A and follow the on screen instructions. Note that there is another reboot at the end of the successful root.

7) Place the update.zip onto the root of your sd card.

8) Enter recovery mode. (Menu, Volume down, and Power)

10) Reset data and cache then toggle sig verification before flashing update.zip

12) Use JC's brilliant data recovery instructions above

Credits:
LGNPST guide originally from LGNPST Setup for The LG Esteem For n00bs! - Android Forums
OP for his guide
Devs smart enough to code the tools and utilities that made this possible.

Last edited:

framirezferrer

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks jccjr! You're my hero! After flashing the new radio through the old thunderc recovery I bricked my wife's phone. I was ready to shell out some money and buy a new one when I found this. Brought back the phone back to life. Everything works MMS, 3g, etc.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Reactions: glarepate

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
If your not bricked and use qpst to make a backup restoring data can be a one click operation.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

can someone tell me what i did wrong i get this as my msl code |~20

Kind of need more info.... what state is your phone in when your trying? what rom? what recovery?

if your on stock zv9 then you can try the cdma workshop and qpst steps while powered off in charge mode or while in stock recovery. i useually use the stock recovery for this purpose.

payterx

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site

Phone still has no data. I can call and send text messages, but had no data before and after trying this.

framirezferrer

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Most likely your QPST settings are reverting back to the old ones. Go back to stock recovery and install once again update.zip, then try entering the new settings on QPST.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Reactions: erosgomez

amanda41943420

May 6, 2012
Visit site

I downloaded vmware and having a problem putting cdma workshop on it because its visual machine. How can I put it on there without giving me problems?Please let me know

draetheus

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

I'm guessing there is no hope if your ESN was zeroed out during optimus s flash?

JokerToker

May 15, 2012
Visit site

1: Retrieve your MSL code

• Make sure USB Debugging is enabled on your phone
  • Connect phone to computer
  • Make sure/Set your phones USB COM port to a number below 10 (Device Manager > Ports > LGE Android Platform USB Serial Port > Properties > Port Settings > Advanced > COM port number)
  • Open CDMA Workshop
  • Select the port number from step above
  • Hit "Connect."
  • Under the "Security" tab, locate "SPC / User Lock."
  • Change to "LG method," and then click "Read."

• Result : "This method is available in registered version only"
    :-\

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz