Can you run the factory reset after restoring back to default OS?

spmoore93

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I've read in multiple places that after installing a custom ROM (Which I did) never run the factory reset.

All's well.

However I'm returning the phone to the store so I went into my recovery and restored the backup I made earlier, so now my main OS is how it was before I installed IHO. Since I did that can I run the original factory reset to clear all of my personal data and what not before I give it back to the store?

Also I will probably look this up, but since I'm making a thread I figured I would ask this while I'm here. Is there a link to the default recovery page the LG Optimus v (2.2.2) came with so I can go ahead and re-install the factory recovery page instead of the touch recovery I added?

Edit:
It's still rooted since when I did the backup via the custom touch recovery I already rooted the phone, so I'll undo that first and then check back on this thread. Also going to try clearing data via custom recovery to see if I can bypass this altogether.

(Still would like to know if I can revert back to original recovery and how.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: Can you run the factory reset after restoring back to default

If you are rooted and have a custom recovery, you CANNOT use the factory reset.

LeoLawliet

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I've read in multiple places that after installing a custom ROM (Which I did) never run the factory reset.

All's well.

However I'm returning the phone to the store so I went into my recovery and restored the backup I made earlier, so now my main OS is how it was before I installed IHO. Since I did that can I run the original factory reset to clear all of my personal data and what not before I give it back to the store?

Also I will probably look this up, but since I'm making a thread I figured I would ask this while I'm here. Is there a link to the default recovery page the LG Optimus v (2.2.2) came with so I can go ahead and re-install the factory recovery page instead of the touch recovery I added?

Edit:
It's still rooted since when I did the backup via the custom touch recovery I already rooted the phone, so I'll undo that first and then check back on this thread. Also going to try clearing data via custom recovery to see if I can bypass this altogether.

(Still would like to know if I can revert back to original recovery and how.

You should never factory reset from the OS as long as there's a custom recovery installed. I'm honestly not even sure it's safe, I never tried it.

Sent from my LG-VM701 running Mobster Rom via Tapatalk

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Just flash the VM update as a whole, that will return it to stock except your data, then you can factory reset.

spmoore93

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site

Just flash the VM update as a whole, that will return it to stock except your data, then you can factory reset.

I'm not too sure what you mean.

So far I went into my custom touch recovery and restored my pre-IHOROM backup. (Default OS that came with phone, but was rooted.)
Then I went into the custom touch recovery again and did a wipe/factory reset which removed all of my apps.

At this point I just want to re-install the original recovery and make sure the phone isn't rooted still. How do I do this? Simple steps or links would help me greatly! Thank you for responding by the way.

Edit:
Phone is still rooted. So back to my last question, how to un-root and re-install original recovery.

Edit2:
http://www.prepaidandroid.org/index...e_your_Optimus_V_to_almost_original_condition

This was posted in one of the stickies however it says only with older phones, I have a 2.2.2 which is newer.

Last edited:

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

First step, NOT OPTIONAL: Flash either Bobzhome / IHO or Xionia recovery. Touch recovery will brick your phone with this process.

LG Optimus V Android Phone | Virgin Mobile <-- Go there, scroll down, on the right side you'll see a link for Software Update, click it and it will download "update.zip". Copy that to your SD card.

Wipe all your data in recovery and flash the update.zip. Once completed, reboot the phone, it will boot up but then in a few seconds reboot again, no worries, this is normal. Let it do its thing.

Once it boots, you'll be in stock Android. Turn off the phone, boot into recovery, wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache, and flash the update.zip AGAIN, this time you will notice you're running stock recovery.

Bam, stock Android, not rooted or anything, with stock recovery, ready for return.

Reactions: LeoLawliet

spmoore93

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site

First step, NOT OPTIONAL: Flash either Bobzhome / IHO or Xionia recovery. Touch recovery will brick your phone with this process.

LG Optimus V Android Phone | Virgin Mobile <-- Go there, scroll down, on the right side you'll see a link for Software Update, click it and it will download "update.zip". Copy that to your SD card.

Wipe all your data in recovery and flash the update.zip. Once completed, reboot the phone, it will boot up but then in a few seconds reboot again, no worries, this is normal. Let it do its thing.

Once it boots, you'll be in stock Android. Turn off the phone, boot into recovery, wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache, and flash the update.zip AGAIN, this time you will notice you're running stock recovery.

Bam, stock Android, not rooted or anything, with stock recovery, ready for return.

Could you throw me a link to Bobzhome please?
And just to confirm, Bobzhome's recovery will work with the new screen as well correct?

Edit: Nevermind :L

Edit2: Thanks, everything worked. The stock recovery is there and the stock OS as well. Thanks a ton.

Just to note, it did it's little "restart after a few seconds" thing during the second reset, cache wipe, update, reboot, not the first. :)

Last edited:

A-android-B

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site

If you don't mind, could i ask you why you are returning it? found something you dont like or got a better deal somewhere else? You dont have to answer if you dont want to.

ninjajp247

May 6, 2012
Visit site

The iho i downloaded keeps freezing my screen, i turn it on and the intro goes from virgin mobile to IHO, and just as the droid froyo is walking it says always backup before flashing. The robot opens its chest and flashes this message. Then frozen. Any ideas?

My optimus v is a VM670, 2.2.1

ninjajp247

May 6, 2012
Visit site

and whats the point with the froyo strobing the light like a disco ball? do i wait for it to finish?

LeoLawliet

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
It's a boot animation. I would install a different IHO rom if I were you. I almost got a full brick from the latest BACKside and it almost happened to my friend's OV too. Completely borked my recovery and a bunch of other stuff.

Sent from my LG-VM670 running IHO MiRaGe using Tapatalk

ninjajp247

May 6, 2012
Visit site

well i had clockwork mod, when i Dl'd the IHo it was supposed to be a new rom.

now i need to wipe it all and start again? ive had clockwork so long i forgot it HAD an original. How do i pull it up?

edit: or is that not a part of rom manager? cause i use that.

Last edited:

Conrail16

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site

DON'T USE ROM MANAGER! Seriously, you're playing with fire; it isn't compatible with the OV.

ninjajp247

May 6, 2012
Visit site

ok, well im just gonna restore my backup and then try again, gonna get rid of the backside IHO. its getting annoying now.

I thought backside was highly recommended? how come it doesnt work then?

Rom manager was the first and only rom program i have used. it was free, what can i say....

Conrail16

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site

Did you download Backside from ROM Manager, or from the forums? The ones posted on ROM manager are outdated and are sometimes bugy.

ninjajp247

May 6, 2012
Visit site

the forum.

ive never downloaded any other roms with it. thought i had to pay for them.

just been using gingerbread/Su/clockwork, it gave me extra space and a backup, all i used it for. didnt think changing the os was possible till recently. It should be easier than this...

Last edited:

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

. didnt think changing the os was possible till recently. It should be easier than this...

It cant get any easier that it all ready is.

The problems you are having are user error I promise this.

From recovery do a factory reset/data wipe, then wipe cache partition, select mounts and storage, format boot,cache,data,sd-ext,system. ONce that is done back out to main screen then reflash the rom. If you are still having issues then you have a bad download. Re-download the rom again and follow my instructions and flash the new download.

ninjajp247

May 6, 2012
Visit site

did all of that actually, in that order. So lets not pretend its as easy as it sounds. When i did my research the IHO i Dl'd was supposed to be the ONE. No fuss no muss.

so im moving on, been waiting for a new recommend on a rom 5 posts ago, no one has answered it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12