[Recovery] CWM-Green w/BacksideUpdater Auto-Install

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I wish I could. When I type this in, it returns "flash_image: file not found."

I have the flash_image.bin file in my DropBox. I just don't know where it goes.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Which ROM are you running? Almost all ROMs have flash_image

You put it in /system/bin/flash_image, but it shouldn't have a .bin file extension, it should just say flash_image.
You can download it here ;)

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm, I would have thought Harmonia had flash_image?!? I wonder if the app you were using moved it somewhere?

Did you try using the flash gui app?

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Yeah the flash image gui does work. But I swear I type # find flash_image and it says no such file or directory exists.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
The app probably contains it's own copy of the flash_image binary, I'm just surprised Harmonia didn't have it, still wonder if the app removed it?!?

Anyway, glad you got it flashed! ;)

Reactions: droidmyme

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
The app probably contains it's own copy of the flash_image binary, I'm just surprised Harmonia didn't have it, still wonder if the app removed it?!?

That makes sense - maybe it did!

Thanks a ton Jerry! :)

tvall

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
i just added the updater into my rom, heres some feedback:
if you mess up on the manifest(yes.. i messed up the simple part..) it makes the app fc
i just installed my rom again from the app using auto install (on the touch recovery) and it seems to be going well (typing this as its installing) so all is well! thank you jerry!

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
i just added the updater into my rom, heres some feedback:
if you mess up on the manifest(yes.. i messed up the simple part..) it makes the app fc
i just installed my rom again from the app using auto install (on the touch recovery) and it seems to be going well (typing this as its installing) so all is well! thank you jerry!

Thanks! I'm glad to hear it's working on a ROM other than BACKside, and I hope it helps your ROM development with an easier upgrade process! ;)

I need to add some error checking/catches to the parsing code. It's pretty simple code, just using splits, so it shouldn't be too hard to prevent FCs in the next version. However, the manifest is what ensures your users get your package exactly as it is meant to be delivered. So manifest errors are not allowed, and even with code improvements, should prevent the app from continuing at one point or another.

I also need to add a check of the currently installed recovery, and only show the auto-install option for those known to work with it.
(Known working and tested: CWM-Green, BobZhome, IHO, Drew's-Touch, should work with other CWM based recoveries known to work safely on the OV).

tvall

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! I'm glad to hear it's working on a ROM other than BACKside, and I hope it helps your ROM development with an easier upgrade process! ;)

I need to add some error checking/catches to the parsing code. It's pretty simple code, just using splits, so it shouldn't be too hard to prevent FCs in the next version. However, the manifest is what ensures your users get your package exactly as it is meant to be delivered. So manifest errors are not allowed, and even with code improvements, should prevent the app from continuing at one point or another.

I also need to add a check of the currently installed recovery, and only show the auto-install option for those known to work with it.
(Known working and tested: CWM-Green, BobZhome, IHO, Drew's-Touch, should work with other CWM based recoveries known to work safely on the OV).

welcome :)
and, if you care, ive taken the touch recovery and patched in your changes. will test it as soon as i find a good usb cable

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
welcome :)
and, if you care, ive taken the touch recovery and patched in your changes. will test it as soon as i find a good usb cable
Thanks, let me know when it's ready!

No wifi at home? You can adb over wifi on most IHO based ROMs. ;)

Will be making some changes to the recovery.c wipe_data option when called outside the gui, in preparation for adding that option to the auto-install steps.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

This is the second or third time someone has had that problem, but flash_image is definitely in there, so something is removing it.

Reactions: JerryScript

tvall

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, let me know when it's ready!

No wifi at home? You can adb over wifi on most IHO based ROMs. ;)

somehow i completely forgot about that!

im about to test the updater in it. but the colors are weird.. a mix of your green and the touch blue. ill fix that before i think of posting it.

i also turned wipe battery stats back on and am trying to find what makes it brick on radio updates..

edit: it worked! now to fix the colors...

Last edited:
Reactions: JerryScript

Ph1Man

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
So I bricked with this new recovery :(
I used the updater to replace the iho with this recovery, and found the button to check if I had the new radio, so i checked and still had the zv4. I then installed the new rom using it and it worked GREAT (you did an amazing job on this recovery). I then re-downloaded the radio and tried to re-install it using this recovery, and when i hit restart I got the lg logo and that was it.
I cannot boot to recovery (Home Button, Volume Down Button, and the Power Button.) and only get the lg logo when I try to enter emergency mode (Return Button, Volume Down Button, and the Power Button) (POWER + VOL DOWN + CAMERA + SEARCH).
I attempted this http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...s/52145-how-unbrick-your-phone-using-kdz.html but it could not find my phone.
Is there any way to get the computer to see my ov in this state so I can use this fix, or any other fix that might work.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
So I bricked with this new recovery :(
I used the updater to replace the iho with this recovery, and found the button to check if I had the new radio, so i checked and still had the zv4. I then installed the new rom using it and it worked GREAT (you did an amazing job on this recovery). I then re-downloaded the radio and tried to re-install it using this recovery, and when i hit restart I got the lg logo and that was it.
I cannot boot to recovery (Home Button, Volume Down Button, and the Power Button.) and only get the lg logo when I try to enter emergency mode (Return Button, Volume Down Button, and the Power Button) (POWER + VOL DOWN + CAMERA + SEARCH).
I attempted this http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...s/52145-how-unbrick-your-phone-using-kdz.html but it could not find my phone.
Is there any way to get the computer to see my ov in this state so I can use this fix, or any other fix that might work.

Why did you attempt to flash the radio with this recovery?!?
That's known to only work with certain recoveries, otherwise it bricks your phone!
(edit: have added a warning to OP not to flash radio)

First, try the various methods in the stickies in this forum to unbrick a phone.

If that doesn't work, this thread should do it, but it's a long and tedious process.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...sw-version-after-vm-rom-flash-sprint-rom.html

Sorry this happened to you. Please let us know how it goes!

Reactions: droidmyme

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Great job Jerry!! Anyway you could get the updater to check/update the recovery now also?
Thanks!

The newest version of the BacksideUpdater will sort of, since devs have to include it (or another recovery) in the manifest for the time being. Press your Menu key and select Show All Versions, then scroll all the way down. I'll will be adding the ability to have the updater check the phone for the currently installed recovery, but only for recoveries that have known log files (for CWM, its normally /cache/recovery/last_log). ;)

Last edited:

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
No go, I cant get into emergency mode, I just get the lg logo.

Does the LG logo look as if it flashes from time to time? If so, it could be a recovery boot loop.

If so, it all comes down to timing. You'll be able to see the phone with adb for a moment, and in that moment you have to be fast. You'll need to have already typed some comands in, then use your arrow keys to redo them over and over, along with cntrl+c to stop it, till you get it to work (if it works at all). Search this forum for recovery bootloop strings (I think by mmarz or whyzor, but I'm not sure). That will give you the method and commands to type in. Hope it works for you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax