any possible way to revert back to old radio??

colonelcack

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
So...i updated to the newest radio without hesitation thinking it can only be better since everyone else was having positive results. But after updating I lose my 3g connection on a daily basis, when driving it will go out on me even when I have FULL bars. Multiple times, sometimes the only way to get it back is to reboot.

I thought it might be the towers here because my roomates also have sprint and they said they were also having problems and called sprint. Sprint said they were in the process of upgrading the tower here and wouldn't be done until sometime in June.

But this continues to happen even when I am an hour (30+ miles) away using what I would assume are different towers. So I don't know if it's just a fluke of random timing or if the radio is making me lose my 3g over and over...is this possible to revert? It was never this bad before! I feel like my phone is almost unusable now!

I used the recommended recovery to flash it and made a backup before I did.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried doing a full wipe / re-flash of your ROM? Which one are you running? Did you follow proper steps when flashing the radio update?

Download OpenSignal from the Market and keep an eye on what tower you're connected to.

There is currently no way to downgrade the radio.

If you check OpenSignal and it tells you that even connecting to a different tower gives you the same issues, then I'd say your best bet is to go through the flashing process again to revert fully to stock, and call Virgin, and tell them the problems you've been having since the update.

CuriousNoob

Banned
Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully there's something they can do. :p

I'm gonna get a replacement and hope its not ZV9. With the update, I can't stay stable on 600 as max overflock without a random reboot.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

colonelcack

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried doing a full wipe / re-flash of your ROM? Which one are you running? Did you follow proper steps when flashing the radio update?

Download OpenSignal from the Market and keep an eye on what tower you're connected to.

There is currently no way to downgrade the radio.

If you check OpenSignal and it tells you that even connecting to a different tower gives you the same issues, then I'd say your best bet is to go through the flashing process again to revert fully to stock, and call Virgin, and tell them the problems you've been having since the update.

I'm running the latest build of backside iho. I was running an earlier build but just upgraded and am still having the same issues.

I flashed it with VM670NH_recovery.img

I don't know what steps there were to mess up...? Haven't tried a full wipe...was hoping to avoid that...

Edit:

I just got a new memory card and am now using an ext3 partition for my apps. If i did a full wipe would I still have all my apps/settings?

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
If they are upgrading the towers in your area, they probably are doing it within more than a 1 mile radius. I would wait till their tower upgrade process is complete, or till I'm in a completely different city, before jumping to any conclusions. ;)

Reactions: brotherswing

WakeUpC22

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Yea agreed with Jerry. Recently they've done quite a bit of work in norcal and the quality is pretty awful.

I flashed to v9 and don't notice anything worse or better so that tells me it definitely is tower work. Try reflashing or just seeing if the quality is better in some areas than others.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
So...i updated to the newest radio without hesitation thinking it can only be better since everyone else was having positive results. But after updating I lose my 3g connection on a daily basis, when driving it will go out on me even when I have FULL bars. Multiple times, sometimes the only way to get it back is to reboot.

Have you updated the PRL file?
Also, are you using any battery management apps?
Are you using any apps to control the radio, like turn it to 2g?
Have you used the #*#*-whatever radio change menu?
It doesn't matter if you uninstalled them, or put it back to the right setting, if you have and not re-flashed, it counts.

colonelcack

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Have you updated the PRL file?
Also, are you using any battery management apps?
Are you using any apps to control the radio, like turn it to 2g?
Have you used the #*#*-whatever radio change menu?
It doesn't matter if you uninstalled them, or put it back to the right setting, if you have and not re-flashed, it counts.

-I'm using a custom PRL yes but I have been for months now it's nothing i've changed recently, it's prl 1115

-no battery control apps

-the most i try is to turn airplane mode on/off when i lose 3g; that sometimes brings it back

-have not tried any dialer codes

-uninstalled what/changed what back to the right setting?

Do you recommend a full wipe leslie-ann? Sorry, not trying to guilt you over your radio endeavour i know you've gotten enough flack as it is. I was planning a full wipe for a while now but had hoped to get away with waiting until quattrimus was at a beta/rc1 stage to try as a daily driver.

O13

May 6, 2011
Visit site
The radio update helped my battery life a lot but I think it messed up my MMS ppl tell me they been sendin me pics an I don't get any an I sent sum an they sumtimes get it.. I don't know if its the towers or not. An also I used to get at least 2 bars when I was at home now I don't have any

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
The radio update helped my battery life a lot but I think it messed up my MMS ppl tell me they been sendin me pics an I don't get any an I sent sum an they sumtimes get it.. I don't know if its the towers or not. An also I used to get at least 2 bars when I was at home now I don't have any

Are you really still using ASOPCmod? That's your problem right there.

colonelcack

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
So if I do a full backup and i have all my user apps linked to my ext3 partition...would I have to reinstall them again or just relink them? Do the apps store data elsewhere on the phone (like libraries) that would cause them to break?

MarkD426

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Switching to a new ROM would require a re-install of your apps. Use titanium back up, it backups all your apps along with app data.

A-android-B

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to thank you guys for talking me out of the radio update until zv10 or a sure way to revert back lol. im highly considering a prl swap though, heard mostly good things if one can find a good prl

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
OP: give it some time. Service can be wonky from time to time, it may soon go back to normal. In the meantime, if you're looking for a ROM that is rock solid, definitely check out Harmonia 1.8 - highly recommended for stability and battery life.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

curtis1973

King Of Pants
Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
there is one sure fire way to go back to the old radio. get a replacement from virgin mobile. in my opinion,the update is wonky itself right from virgin mobile. they borked it up. let them eat the cost thats my take on it. roms arent the only items seeing goofy reboots,etc. several friends who aren't rooted did a straight update and now their device reboots at times without any apparent reason as to why,get force close issues in apps,etc...i do know from my own device that vm isn't sending out replacements with the borked update. ive always held the belief if my provider screws my device up with a bad update,it's on them to replace and or fix my device at their cost.

colonelcack

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Finally bit the bullet and did a full wipe/reinstalled jerry's iho. Seems like it's getting 3g a lot quicker when turning on/off the wifi...but the real test will be tomorrow's road trip. Will update with results...

colonelcack

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Hallelujah! The full system wipe seemed to do the trick. 3G is rock solid.

Thanks for the help. Perhaps it should be noted in the main radio upgrade post that some people need to do a full wipe if having connectivity issues after flashing.

Wonder why it affected me and not everyone else...could have to do with the fact that I haven't done a full system wipe in 6+ months? Who knows! I'm just glad to have a usable phone again! :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma