Hi all, I recently purchased a stock Optimus V. My old phone was a Samsung Intercept which I got the courage to root eventually because of all of it's faults. I got familiar with it and it actually felt great trying out different roms. After carefully looking through this forum, it seems a bit trickier to root the V. Of course I don't want to brick my phone but rooting this phone seems like a complete new experience. I don't have a lot of apps on my phone but the one thing that bugs me is the fact that I don't receive all my text messages even when I have good reception or the person standing next to me. Would rooting the phone help that situation? If I modified this phone, would there be any way to get it back to complete stock? (i know, sounds stupid). Any thoughts/advice on this guys/girls? I purchased an insurance plan for this phone but at this point I didn't spend too much on it.
    04-20-2012 07:18 PM
    First of all, I'd most definitely say, as most others may as well, that modding the OV is much simpler than a samsung model. Not to mention the fact that you look under any samsung forum and you will see it has not been updated in weeks if not months.!
    Just read the different topics.... there are most definitely enough there! any issues or problems, you almost certainly will get a reply back in a matter of minutes or @ the most an hour )
    04-20-2012 07:33 PM
    Rooting the phone wont have much affect on improving your reception.

Going back to stock there is a way. The only down side is doing it seems to make the custom roms wonky. Not bad but the devs are working on it.

Personally I would root the phone. Install a IHO flavor that interests you. There has been a revived interest in Froyo based roms and a couple of "refurbished" versions of the originals.

The stock messaging has issues. If the person sending the text is on one of the big three carriers there is a bug that will cause them to not be delivered. Its not known what end it is on but it is always on received texts.

These two threads will get you started with a rooted and custom rom.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/opt...ustom-rom.html
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/opt...tart-here.html
    04-20-2012 07:40 PM
    The V is very ease to root and comes with a great community behind it and we are more then happy to help use/anyone get the most out of there phone.

Read through the treads and you we see just how devoted the devs are at support, the Security Update was rooted with in a week.
    04-20-2012 09:16 PM
    I frequented this website for a few weeks before I bought the phone. I have full faith in everyone here and that was a big reason why I joined. This website/posters/dev. teams are awesome! On another note, I recently purchased a 1 year insurance plan on the phone. I bought it soon after I heard about the HTC One V and EVO rumors. I figure to trade this phone in for credit towards either newer one when they arrive. I think that's why I haven't got around to rooting it yet. Just to flip the coin, what's the highest android version on a rom for an Optimus so far? I'm not looking for a lot of features/customizations, just an overall smoother and faster way to enjoy it.
    04-20-2012 09:37 PM
    You can completely restore it to stock, including the recovery if you ever feel like trading or selling your OV. Froyo, Gingerbread, and Ice Cream Sandwich roms are available for this phone. There are may different varients such as AOSP, CM7, MIUIgb, and LeWa OS which are all Gingerbread based. If you want stability without adding so many features go with a Froyo based rom such as Harmonia. The only ICS roms available are CM9, AOKP, CNA, and MIUIv4, but they're all alphas and have some bugs that are being worked on (still pretty impressive for alphas). I personally stick with IHO roms especially since they are usually updated pretty often and you have more options. I usually stick with MiRaGe or BACKside.

Have fun with the OV, if you have any problems with your device we have an excellent community. The OV was my first Android and it was one of the best purchases I have ever made. I own 3 different Androids, this is still my favorite

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk
    04-20-2012 10:04 PM
    Can you do something first? Go to Settings > About Phone and tell us what it says under "Baseband Version". If it says VM670ZV9, I wouldn't recommend any custom ROMs until the kinks get ironed out with that latest update.
    04-21-2012 01:04 AM
    Can you do something first? Go to Settings > About Phone and tell us what it says under "Baseband Version". If it says VM670ZV9, I wouldn't recommend any custom ROMs until the kinks get ironed out with that latest update.
    I think the phones may only come with ZV5 stock. Which I am still trying to decide if I want to (or even can root ZV5).
    If I could get some extra feedback that'd be cool (:

Another thing I might be able to weed out: Can it be rooted with anything base under ZV9?
    04-21-2012 08:11 AM
    Only bases these phones have are zv4, zv5, and zv9. Zv4 and 5 are rootable using gibgerbreak, but zv9 is not, you have to use jcases rooting method called gordita. But so far I don't think anyone has gotten a new phone using the zv9 baseband, the only way to get that is an update that you most likely don't want ATM.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2
    04-21-2012 08:19 AM
    My Baseband Version is VM670ZV5
    04-21-2012 05:59 PM
    My Baseband Version is VM670ZV5
    Cool, should be good to go then. The latest baseband has issues with the custom ROMs.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2
    04-21-2012 06:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD