im wondering what is the highest i can over clock my optimus v without it having problems?
    04-21-2012 04:19 PM
    Its usually different for each one I've heard. I find 748 mhz to be just fine for what I use it for ; Facebook, email, text, Google voice, YouTube, Instagram...
    04-21-2012 04:30 PM
    They recommend overclocking it a notch at a time and running it for a while. Use some pretty demanding apps and once you reach the point it's not stable drop back 2 notches. My Optimus V won't overclock past 600mhz
    04-21-2012 04:38 PM
    I never saw any benefit at all to overclocking - even if it's stable, you're still gonna fry it. I always keep min at 480 mhz and the max at 600... that way it seems to always be responsive for me.
    04-21-2012 05:14 PM
    Sorry Rev. Joe, but that is blatantly untrue.

You need to read up on what is known as binning and understand what overclocking truly is, it's not just simply cranking up a number. Yes, you can overclock just changing a number, but the how and why it works is what you really need to understand before making statements like you did.

At any rate, we have had some Optimus V's running at 864 for the better part of a year with no issues. Mine has been mid 700 for an entire year. Sure you could fry a processor overclocking, however that is only if you are careless, and on cell phones the chipset won't usually overclock high enough to do serious damage anyhow. We had to make a special kernel just to hit 864.
    04-21-2012 07:45 PM
    My Optimus v sits at 844mhz/600mhz for over 4 months now. I just bumped it up to 867mhz, and it's smooth sailing :-D

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    04-21-2012 08:09 PM
    Sorry Rev. Joe, but that is blatantly untrue.

You need to read up on what is known as binning and understand what overclocking truly is, it's not just simply cranking up a number. Yes, you can overclock just changing a number, but the how and why it works is what you really need to understand before making statements like you did.

At any rate, we have had some Optimus V's running at 864 for the better part of a year with no issues. Mine has been mid 700 for an entire year. Sure you could fry a processor overclocking, however that is only if you are careless, and on cell phones the chipset won't usually overclock high enough to do serious damage anyhow. We had to make a special kernel just to hit 864.
    i was just saying that I noticed no benefit to overclocking. even when I had it bumped up a little bit after 15 or so hours my phone would always need to have the battery pulled because it was unstable.

Now I can use my phone stable at 600 mhz over multiple days without having to ever worry about app crashes of freezes. I realize that some people might have luck overclocking, i did not after reading the overclocking thread that was bumping around maybe as much as a year ago.

i dont think what I said was 'blatantly untrue' since i was just relaying the experience i had with my ov and figured that the best advice to OP was not to mess with it since his question was "how high can i crank it"
    04-22-2012 04:09 PM
    i dont think what I said was 'blatantly untrue' since i was just relaying the experience i had with my ov and figured that the best advice to OP was not to mess with it since his question was "how high can i crank it"
    The untrue part is saying that you will fry it, there is very little risk if you do it right.

As for no benefit, we have tests that prove it can actually improve battery life.
    04-22-2012 05:26 PM
    Mine is running perfectly fine at 480/804.
    04-22-2012 05:32 PM
    In my opinion, it is unnecessary caution NOT to check out and make use of the extra clockspeed headroom that many OVs have, both for performance and battery reasons - and assuming it is done right.

On the other hand, it is outright stupid to just crank up numbers without some basic knowledge of what it actually does.

LeslieAnn's OC thread is a great place to start. And I'm generally to the cautious side.
    04-22-2012 07:03 PM
    If you use SetCPU, you can see how much time the processor spends in each state. I think I'm in the 825 mhz range less than 25% of the time, but bumping up my min to 480 was an improvement in both speed and battery life.
    04-22-2012 07:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD