What governs screen rotation?

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
So, as some of you know I am trying to dev the bumblebee rom. With the new update from virgin mobile, it was suggested that I "upgrade" bumblebee from 2.2.1 to 2.2.2, so I set off to work doing this. Of course whatever can go wrong will go wrong and I have run into an issue that (although I know someone could probably do for me) I just really want to understand. The problem at hand is the subject of screen rotation.

How does screen rotation work and how does the kernel deal with this?

I am stumped, because as I develop the update, I did necessary changes and then flashed the vm update zip, with some bumblebee features added but the STOCK KERNEL entact. Now, everything works at this point, screen rotation, wifi, usb, yadda yadda.

Then I boot into recovery and flash the picasticks remix for the new screens. Everything boots normally, wifi works, usb works, etc etc... except ROTATION does not work. Obviously I have deduced that rotation is kernel linked, but how is is kernel linked, and why wont the darn thing rotate. In an attempt to see of I could get it working, I replaced all the lib files and all the bin files with old bumblebee ones, and still everything but rotation works. I don't get it. What is getting in the way of it rotating?

I want to understand and I'm thinking that I am missing something very obvious... I know building a new kernel would probably do the trick, but I don't think the source for the vm kernel is available.

If you've read completely through this blabbering, I thank you.

tvall

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
The source for the original kernel is available. The source for whatever came with the zv9 update isn't.

I'd try the iho kernel and see what happens with that. If that works, check the commit history for anything related to rotation then rebuild the stock kernel with whatever changes you think are necessary

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
So I flashed your kernel and everything but usb storage works. It seems that you have hit the nail squarely, although I don't know what exactly the mount error is due to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech