[HELP]LS670 Screen On my VM670... black recovery+boot screens

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I damaged my phone and bought a Optimus S for parts. Operation successful, once booted i can use my phone fine.

But my recovery and boot screens are black. No LG, Android Logo, or CM7 animation.

I am using Jerry's latest Recovery. I have reflashed through the terminal.

Here's a video to help show what it's doing.
[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmQAcKoOy3Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/yt]

Last edited:

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: LS670 Screen On my VM670... black recovery+boot screens

It may be the recovery. Try Xonia

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

OK, that fails too.

THRC faild too. I think it was thunderc or something. I had it on my sdcard.

Last edited:

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I'd say just keep trying different recoveries. Try the Touch recovery? (Just don't flash the radio update using it.)

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
You had a old screen phone right? Maybe there is some embedded drivers we dont know about for the screen. Or maybe a configuration in the connection pins.

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
There is a moment where the boot animation can be seen. When the animation is about done I can hit the power button and then turn it back on I can see cm7 animation.

This leads me to believe that the screen now needs to be cycled (on / off / on) for it to refresh.

If I could get a recovery to do that while it booted maybe that would work.

Or is there a log file I could grab and post?

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
There is a moment where the boot animation can be seen. When the animation is about done I can hit the power button and then turn it back on I can see cm7 animation.

This leads me to believe that the screen now needs to be cycled (on / off / on) for it to refresh.

If I could get a recovery to do that while it booted maybe that would work.

Or is there a log file I could grab and post?

Do a logcat while its booting, I would guess that errors would show up if nothing comes to the screen.

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
It is likely that your old phone and the new one have different screens. In which case you are lucky it works at all. The boot loader initializes the screen and puts the LG logo up and it must be different for each screen. When the kernel starts the graphics system it must reinitialize the screen. But the recovery uses a dumb frame buffer so it doesn't get reinitialized. it would require a custom kernel to initialize the screen at boot to fix your issue.

Why didn't you just use the new phone with a button remapper instead? Not as fun but much easier. :)

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
It is likely that your old phone and the new one have different screens. In which case you are lucky it works at all. The boot loader initializes the screen and puts the LG logo up and it must be different for each screen. When the kernel starts the graphics system it must reinitialize the screen. But the recovery uses a dumb frame buffer so it doesn't get reinitialized. it would require a custom kernel to initialize the screen at boot to fix your issue.

Why didn't you just use the new phone with a button remapper instead? Not as fun but much easier. :)

New phone was water damaged and a sprint model. I wouldn't know where to begin to bring it over to VM.

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
New phone was water damaged and a sprint model. I wouldn't know where to begin to bring it over to VM.

Well you probably didn't want to use a water damaged phone. But the only practical differences between the two are the button placement and the radio firmware. So flashing the VM ZV9 update and using a button remapper would turn an ls670 into a vm670. In theory anyway. :)

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Well you probably didn't want to use a water damaged phone. But the only practical differences between the two are the button placement and the radio firmware. So flashing the VM ZV9 update and using a button remapper would turn an ls670 into a vm670. In theory anyway. :)

As he plan was to steal parts from another phone on the cheap I took a chance and about a non-working phone. When I got it the thing would not boot. But plugged in the usb and it started into battery mode. Pulling the usb out before it got to battery mode forced it to boot fully. I used it on wifi to test the screen for a day before gutting it.

I think there is more to it that flashing the update to make it a legit VM phone. I think I would have to steal my MEID and other numbers from my current one and put it on the sprint phone. I wouldn't know where to start.

If I was going to go through all that work I'd get my EVO 4G that my friend wants to give me.

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
There might be some sort of hardware incompatibility between the LS670 screens and VM670 internals. Totally a shot in the dark but you never know. A dmesg log may reveal some good bits as well.

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
There might be some sort of hardware incompatibility between the LS670 screens and VM670 internals. Totally a shot in the dark but you never know. A dmesg log may reveal some good bits as well.

Sorry for cross posting.

I'll collect some log files when I get a chance. I have a few busy days ahead of me and I don't know how to collect a logcat or dmesg logs yet. I will look into those in the mean time.

As it is the phone works great once booted so I'm not in a hectic rush to get it to work because it does.

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I think there is more to it that flashing the update to make it a legit VM phone. I think I would have to steal my MEID and other numbers from my current one and put it on the sprint phone. I wouldn't know where to start.

I think that's all you need to do -- just flash the ZV9 ROM, remap your buttons, and call VM to switch phones.

But I could be wrong. It's possible that VM keeps track of the exact digits on their phones and won't allow any others.

In any case, you wouldn't have wanted to do this anyway. And if you had, what does it cost to try? ;)

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
They do keep track. If they didn't they wouldn't have any problems with me using a evo 4g.

Also this phone works perfectly while fully booted. It just might need a custom compiled recovery. Currently it means I can't flash on the fly.

Last edited:

crickie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Try looking at the post at the top of this page by Leslie Ann on How to fix black screen issues. You may need to download & flash a new GUI image for the recovery. My Gen1 OV don't use it but my old man's new one does. His uses a file, Flash Image GUI to "run an image" with the recovery. The firmware on the newer 2.2.2 models are different, so they require this file flashed with the recovery or they will appear black. The file - VM670NH_recovery.img You will also need an installer- FlashImageGUI.apk from Google Play market. Make sure to save copies of both downloads in your computer under " Butt Saver Files"!! (you know what I mean!). Read Leslie Ann's Post. Her work on how to fix issues yourself is really awesome! Good luck.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae