Google Maps - Location Not Found (solved by using old version)

mechanibal

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Current phone setup: Optimus V IHO Backside04172012 (came from Stock Rom 2.2.2 Hitachi screen and did full wipes before flashing)

I noticed when using the latest Google Maps 6.5.1 that when it initially loads and I have GPS enabled, it intermittently fails in finding my current location. If I push the GPS symbol in the Maps app, it will sometimes say 'Location Not Found' and the GPS icon is not blinking in the notification bar. Sometimes after clicking around in the app, restarting the app, or disabling/enabling GPS via notification widget, it will finally find my current location. Sometimes it starts up and finds location in about 5 seconds with no problems.

It appeared that GPS was starting up fine in other apps like GPS Test, so I went to FreewareLovers click here for LINK
and tried out previous versions. I tested the following versions:
6.5.1, 6.5.0, 6.3.0 - intermittent location finding issue
6.2.0, 6.1.1 - reliably finds my location

Has anyone else noticed a similar issue?

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Current phone setup: Optimus V IHO Backside04172012 (came from Stock Rom 2.2.2 Hitachi screen and did full wipes before flashing)

I noticed when using the latest Google Maps 6.5.1 that when it initially loads and I have GPS enabled, it intermittently fails in finding my current location. If I push the GPS symbol in the Maps app, it will sometimes say 'Location Not Found' and the GPS icon is not blinking in the notification bar. Sometimes after clicking around in the app, restarting the app, or disabling/enabling GPS via notification widget, it will finally find my current location. Sometimes it starts up and finds location in about 5 seconds with no problems.

It appeared that GPS was starting up fine in other apps like GPS Test, so I went to FreewareLovers click here for LINK

The problem here is that if you start navigation without gps enabled and then enable it while the app is running, it doesn't sense that gps is on. Its just because it asks if the gps is on when it first turns on... the solution being that you need to enable gps before entering the app, or if you forget, just back out of the app and re enter (as you suggest).

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

mechanibal

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: Google Maps - Location Not Found (solved by using old version

The problem here is that if you start navigation without gps enabled and then enable it while the app is running, it doesn't sense that gps is on. Its just because it asks if the gps is on when it first turns on... the solution being that you need to enable gps before entering the app, or if you forget, just back out of the app and re enter (as you suggest).

Just to clarify, GPS is enabled before starting Google Maps app in all cases.

cmerlyn

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site

The only time I have problems with 6.5.1 is when I don't have WiFi location on, and I am indoors. That is understandable, can't see the satellites, can see WiFi.
I did run FasterFix, which increased the number of satellites I can pick up when outside. You might try that, but I suspect you may be a victim of a questionable GPS chip, which the OVs tend to have on occasion. Mine seems pretty good, some others not so good. Nice that a simple downgrade to an older version solved the problem, though. Good thinking on that.

Glerp

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site

I don't know if this is specifically relevant to this thread but I had to chime in. I've been experiencing the same Google Maps GPS issues with the latest update.

My phone: I have a Moto Atrix on ATT, and I'm in San Diego CA.

After updating to the latest version of Maps, I noticed that when I opened the app it couldn't find my location. It would only give me a general area with a big blue circle around the blue arrow (it was only picking up the local towers, not satellite). My satellite was enabled, my wifi was not. Prior to the updated it could find my location no problem with just the satellite alone.

I had to uninstall all updates on Google Maps, and then it was able to find my location again.

I like some of the new features of Maps, but if it can't find my location the app is useless to me (I use GPS location every day).

Any other Atrix users out there having the same issue? It's quite annoying.

dahawley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I had a Motorola Bionic and the Google Maps and associated navigation worked fine. The keyboard broke so I got a brand new Galaxy S3 - now I have the same issue outlined in this post. Finds my "general" location but not zeroed in like it used to and I can no longer navigate. Tried Sygic - not that great...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz