06-30-2012 12:50 PM
36 12
tools
    my guess is the missing .config error. he needs to cp the correct config to get it to work correctly. ive never had luck with make menuconfig.
    maybe he named it config instead of .config
    sellers86 likes this.
    06-28-2012 09:59 PM
    I get it to work using cyanogenmod's command

make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=/home/user/android-toolchain-eabi/bin/arm-linux-androideabi- -j`grep 'processor' /proc/cpuinfo | wc -l`

the j4 junk doesn't seem to work since I have a dual core. Cyanogenmod's is probably a smarter command to use since it finds how many cores you actually have

... I'm compiling mrg666's kernel using linaro 4.7. As for the error msg it was in my 1st post I made in this thread. But now I now know not to use the j 4 stuff unless I'm on a quad core. I'd rather just do this from my laptop instead of my quad core desktop (even though it's slower)
    06-28-2012 10:31 PM

make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=/home/user/android-toolchain-eabi/bin/arm-linux-androideabi- -j`grep 'processor' /proc/cpuinfo | wc -l`

the j4 junk doesn't seem to work since I have a dual core. Cyanogenmod's is probably a smarter command to use since it finds how many cores you actually have
    all I do is type make.........
    06-28-2012 10:35 PM
    smarty pants

I get stopped up by the simplest things
    06-28-2012 10:39 PM
    smarty pants

I get stopped up by the simplest things
    I export the arm-eabi whatever it is first though and then cd and then make...menuconfig before that if I need to edit something...
    also if you need to recompile only one part of the kernel (i.e. a certain touchscreen driver you are manually editing, edit the .c file, delete the .o file type make, it will rebuild with the new file without recreating all the .o files it will just creat the .o for the .o you deleted and makes it from the .c you edited.
    06-28-2012 10:42 PM
    I build on dual core, and I'm pretty sure most everyone else does too, and make -j4 works for me. The -j is the number of threads to use per job.

Sent from my VM670 using Android Central Forums
    06-28-2012 10:44 PM

this literally has nothing to do with anything. your error was caused my not having a .config
    06-28-2012 10:52 PM
    I'm compiling mrg666's kernel using linaro 4.7. As for the error msg it was in my 1st post I made in this thread. But now I now know not to use the j 4 stuff unless I'm on a quad core. I'd rather just do this from my laptop instead of my quad core desktop (even though it's slower)
    I use the same kernel source and build on a dual core with either make -j2 or make -j4, you where just missing your .config file.
    06-28-2012 11:10 PM
    Hmm. Well I had a config file every time I did it. I swear I'm not smoking crack.
    06-30-2012 12:35 PM
    Hmm. Well I had a config file every time I did it. I swear I'm not smoking crack.
    Is it named .config with the "." in it?
    06-30-2012 12:40 PM
    These are the two commands I use to build the kernel. First change to top directory of the kernel source.

[BOX="commands"]cp arch/arm/configs/vm670_config ./.config

make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=~/android-toolchain-eabi_47/bin/arm-linux-gnueabi- zImage modules
    [/BOX]

You can change the CROSS_COMPILE part of the second command depending on your toolchain.
    anon(235100) likes this.
    06-30-2012 12:50 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD