Unbricking Your Optimus V

WakeUpC22

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Updated for clarity and brevity.

Note to mods: Apologies in advance if this thread is inappropriate in any way shape or form or if this is stating what is obvious/written eslewhere. I left how tos that are obviously against TOS out but apologize in advance if this information is against terms still. In any case, this took me several days over a span of several weeks to gather this information.

Backup your AAA Key, and other must dos before attempting to unbrick
1) How to back up your AAA Key (and perform Oh $hit maneuvers)
Get into emergency mode and follow asadullah's tutorial (learn from him, he's the man) procedure on getting the AAA key. Write the AAA Key down and do not lose it. If you do, you can kiss data goodbye. There is thus far no algorithm to generate it however, I may have come up with something thanks to asdullah's program keys. Will break my phone again when I have time.

2) Back up the settings.
Here is a guide that amounts to the same results as mine but details everything including backing up the AAA key. You can opt to follow the first 3 sections then go back to mine or use his from start to finish. Whatever you choose be sure you read through as much as possible to understand the process. You don't want to find out later you hosed your phone as you didn't understand a step.

3) Search for other alternatives no matter how unfixable the phone appears to be
Fixing a black screen
Boot loop fixing if you have recovery
ADB Push while in battery mode

4) May zero out other settings
While the AAA key is likely the most important part of your phone, flashing in general has a chance of zeroing system sensitive settings which will make your phone a nightmare to fix. CWMs won't save you from a total AAA, MEID, ESN wipe, and yes, in a related note THIS procedure has a good chance of zeroing your MEID and ESN as well. Detailing such a recovery is against TOS but backing up is not. Make full backups using QTPS then follow asadullah's video. It includes information on how to write certain things back if need be.

News, etc.
Back somewhat. Testing to see if a new method I tried works on a pre-bricked phone I have right now. Wish me luck :)

Credits:
asadullah http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...62784-how-get-aaa-password-off-optimus-v.html
LGNPST guide originally from LGNPST Setup for The LG Esteem For n00bs! - Android Forums
jccjr1982 for his data recovery guide http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...sw-version-after-vm-rom-flash-sprint-rom.html
Devs smart enough to code the tools, procedures, and utilities that made this possible.

Instructions:
1) Download the following files
LGNPST.zip
LS670ZV8_23.zip
optiauto-sfx.exe
Under "Resources" Download the Official OV9 Update.zip

2) Install LGNPST and Extract the Optimus S bin
A) Extract LGNPST to a folder and run LGNTPS_Components_Ver_5_0_12_0.msi, LGNTPS_General_v1.2_Lab_Version.msi, LGNTPS_Generic_Models_ver_5_0_10_0.msi restarting if needed​
B) Copy LGNTPS.exe And the Model folder to C:\LG Electronics\LGNPST.​
C) Drag and drop the LS670Z.dll over reggie.exe to register the dll.​
D) Extract the bin from LS670ZV8_23.zip to an area that is easy to locate, ie your desktop.​

3)Enter Emergency Mode.
Power off the phone completely (pull battery if necessary). Then hold down the BACK ARROW, VOL DOWN, POWER while plugging the usb cable to the phone.

4) Open LGNPST.exe as administrator, and select the bin in step 2-D
After formatting, the phone should reset. Unplug the usb so that it does not go directly to the charging screen.

5) On your desktop computer, run optiauto-sfx.exe.
After the phone finishes boot, run optiauto on your desktop. Press A and follow the on screen instructions. Note that there is another reboot at the end of the successful root.

6) Place the update.zip onto the root of your sd card.

7) Enter recovery mode. (Menu, Volume down, and Power)

8) Reset data and cache then toggle sig verification before flashing update.zip

9) Follow JC's how-to-get-back 3g instructions here.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...sw-version-after-vm-rom-flash-sprint-rom.html

10) Profit ---- hopefully!

Last edited:
Reactions: AndyOpie150

WakeUpC22

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Be sure to include citations and links to the author's pages where you got the tools, specifically the Optiauto.

Unfortunately the opti auto was found from another uncredited link both here and on xda.

Am currently going through finals so when I have time, I'll update.

WakeUpC22

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks drae, fixed the files. Oddly, there is no direct linking to vm's update. I believe the url is based on session though I am not sure.

On an aside, there is a tiny chance that I may have found a way to recover the AAA Shared secret. I am currently seeing if it was a fluke with DFS or if it was a regenerated key, but it occurred after I played around with phone programming codes.

We'll see.

draetheus

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Sadly I can't extract the AAA key or anything else off my phone using the youtube tutorial from asadullah. LGNPST gives me no phone settings, and DFS gives me an error when I try to read the Mobile IP settings. Are you supposed to be able to get this data off an already bricked phone? In the tutorial the "phone" he's using isn't in emergency mode (which is the only thing I can get to).

WakeUpC22

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
When you connect your usb cable to your phone do you see the serial connection in your CP? If so that means it is detected with an assigned port. Otherwise, you can try going into the reboot recovery screen.

On that note Otherwise, what happened to your phone that got it bricked? Are you able to use ADB push in recovery mode? Also if your recovery screen is black you may be able to adb into it after gettig the black screen.

Ph1Man

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Once you are in emergency mode use this guide, http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...-how-fix-bricked-lg-optimus-v-s-firmware.html , but only the first 3 sections (1. ---Flashing the S firmware---, 2. ---Getting MSL code---, and 3. ---Root and recovery---). Make sure you flash the update.zip twice to get the radio. ( Once from the recovery you flashed, to install the update, then again before you root with the stock recovery to ensure you replace the sprint radio)

Then Follow only the second section of this guide; http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...fter-vm-rom-flash-sprint-rom.html#post1707315 ( only do the second section entitled Getting data back working on your phone)

Reactions: WakeUpC22

draetheus

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Stupidly flashed radio update with CWM green recovery. I was able to unbrick by flashing optimus S .bin through emergency mode, but all my important info (ESN/MEID) had been zeroed out. I restored the MEID and ESN through DFS tool, and luckily I had made a service programming backup from QPST earlier. Unfortunately I still have no data even after following the data restore tutorial. Most likely because I was never able to recover the AAA key.

WakeUpC22

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Once you are in emergency mode use this guide, http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...-how-fix-bricked-lg-optimus-v-s-firmware.html , but only the first 3 sections (1. ---Flashing the S firmware---, 2. ---Getting MSL code---, and 3. ---Root and recovery---). Make sure you flash the update.zip twice to get the radio. ( Once from the recovery you flashed, to install the update, then again before you root with the stock recovery to ensure you replace the sprint radio)

Then Follow only the second section of this guide; http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...fter-vm-rom-flash-sprint-rom.html#post1707315 ( only do the second section entitled Getting data back working on your phone)

Agreed. That poster lists his process in a far more comprehensive manner than I did so I'll link it in my first post.

Stupidly flashed radio update with CWM green recovery. I was able to unbrick by flashing optimus S .bin through emergency mode, but all my important info (ESN/MEID) had been zeroed out. I restored the MEID and ESN through DFS tool, and luckily I had made a service programming backup from QPST earlier. Unfortunately I still have no data even after following the data restore tutorial. Most likely because I was never able to recover the AAA key.

Sorry to hear that and don't be so harsh on yourself. While others here state that it's OUR fault for farking up our own phone and not taking precautions, mistakes happen along the way of backing up as well.

Anyways CONFIRM that everything is zeroed. Follow asadullah's video exactly then make sure that you really did zero everything.

But what state is your phone in now? Is the com port being detected now?

If the AAA key is zeroed I was able to regenerate an AAA key by using ##786# on the dialer then resetting to default. HOWEVER, I do not know whether or not this key is for debug purposes or if it actually was the formerly used key. That phone that is semi broken was pre broken before so i don't have the pre-existing password.

Last edited:

draetheus

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
If the AAA key is zeroed I was able to regenerate an AAA key by using ##786# on the dialer then resetting to default. HOWEVER, I do not know whether or not this key is for debug purposes or if it actually was the formerly used key. That phone that is semi broken was pre broken before so i don't have the pre-existing password.

I did this and saw that it changed by mobile number and IMSI back to factory default, so I flashed my QPST backup and...no dice. It looks like whatever AAA key is generated by this is not the same one as the original, and will probably only work with a new activation.

daftande

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Well I have tried various recoveries and roms and still cant get my MSL/SPC.
I need it to change my MEID back from all zeroes.
Anyone got any tricks for fixing my MEID?

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Well I have tried various recoveries and roms and still cant get my MSL/SPC.
I need it to change my MEID back from all zeroes.
Anyone got any tricks for fixing my MEID?

try flashing this recovery and useing cdma workshop while booted into it. its just the stock recovery from the zv9 update. it'll work on either screen version. if you get stuck... post where you get stuck and either me or someone else will reply. Good luck :)

daftande

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
SO turns out the MSL/SPC is reset to 000000.
I still can't get the "write" function for the ESN in CDMA Workshop to "stick" even though it says completed.
In settings>about>phone settings> ESN is still all zeroes :(.
How can I fix the ESN/MEID?

Last edited:

daftande

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I actually am on this version of recovery now, it was the only I got to work in CDMA Workshop.
When I put in my ESN to WRITE it says its ok but it never shows up in settings>phone>status. Help?

BuggerZ

May 29, 2012
Visit site
SO turns out the MSL/SPC is reset to 000000.
I still can't get the "write" function for the ESN in CDMA Workshop to "stick" even though it says completed.
In settings>about>phone settings> ESN is still all zeroes :(.
How can I fix the ESN/MEID?
CDMA never worked for me, but DFS did.

http://www.4shared.com/rar/KYIViXej/DFS_3101.html?cau2=403tNull

P.S. ESN never writes for me, but if you write the MEID, it fills in the ESN on it's own, and it stuck for me.

daftande

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
DFS looks like the way to go!
I have it working with the SPC 000000.
In the general tab there is ESN and MEID.
ESN can read but MEID cant, which did you use? Can you give me your DFS steps?
THANKS!!

BuggerZ

May 29, 2012
Visit site
DFS looks like the way to go!
I have it working with the SPC 000000.
In the general tab there is ESN and MEID.
ESN can read but MEID cant, which did you use? Can you give me your DFS steps?
THANKS!!
You'll have to fish through the interface to find the right buttons, but keep looking, you'll find it eventually...

- First I opened the port to the phone.
- Then I unlocked the phone with SPC 000000.
- I knew my MEID, so I went to the tab where you can read/write MEID, I put MEID in, pressed write, and it wrote the MEID AND the ESN (ESN was auto generated). Trying to write the ESN only refused to work for me, which is what I suspect is your issue with CDMA, besides CDMA not seemingly working correctly in the first place.
- I pressed read on MEID and ESN, and it was correct.

Took me a long time to figure that out, but it worked great.

Reactions: AndyOpie150

daftande

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
When I click MEID READ HEX and DEC are blank.
Then I put in my HEX MEID, it generates a DEC MEID, I click WRITE.
The status log says "Mode Change" OfflineD OK.
Now when I click read again the MEID is still blank in HEX/DEC?
Any ideas?

BuggerZ

May 29, 2012
Visit site
When I click MEID READ HEX and DEC are blank.
Then I put in my HEX MEID, it generates a DEC MEID, I click WRITE.
The status log says "Mode Change" OfflineD OK.
Now when I click read again the MEID is still blank in HEX/DEC?
Any ideas?
Did you unlock the phone with SPC 000000 first? Up in the top left-hand corner of the program you should see "000000". Near there is a button to send SPC and unlock the phone.