Well I started out attempting to find out why tdm's ics variants keep crashing and rebooting on me. Maybe my kernel wasn't right? That wasnt it...tried every kernel I could find. Kept crashing and rebooting doing simplest of functions. Then I decided to try cold as ice once more,same stuff. Crashing and rebooting. At this point I'd been in and out of recovery many times wiping and flashing,etc...while finally giving up on both ics alphas and returning to iho I was doing final wipe and formats to do backup restore...then clockwork's bad layout bit me right in the ***...instead of moving down to format data...I over shot and formatted sdcard....all was lost. My stock backup,iho,everything. Had to adb a rom to sdcard via windows to get running again. The format sdcard option should be moved to another menu or removed completely. At the very least an option to disable that function until you actually want to format sdcard. Now I know it was my fault,but its location can lead anyone to over shoot and format before you realize you have. Even with the "are you sure" prompt...whos really looking every single time?? Well, taught me a valuable lesson or two. Leave shoddy alphas alone until their verified and bonafied working,and to watch "format sdcard" option like a hawk when using recovery. ::banghead::screwy:

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums
    05-11-2012 12:06 AM
    Lol, but when you click "Formant SD-Card", you have to go through like 7 "No's" and then click "Yes, Format SD-Card" and at the top, it says "Formatting SD-Card" in that "No" menu. You REALLY have to not be paying attention to not realize what you are are selecting. But, I feel your pain. I've been there. I had backed up My SD-Card once earlier in the day, and then later that day took a whole bunch of pictures for insurance before a huge hurricane was about to hit. Later that day I flashed a new ROM which messed up my phone and I formatted everything and started over. I completely forgot to Re-Back up my SD Card with the new insurance pictures, so I lost all of those when formatting. Luckily nothing was damaged in the hurricane.
    curtis1973 likes this.
    05-11-2012 12:59 AM
    we dont pay attition to that or i dont
    curtis1973 likes this.
    05-11-2012 02:04 AM
    I agree with the others here. I mean come on lol ... kidding aside ive 'accidently' formatted my sd card when i was messing about with sd ext.

However if youre in the recovery menu you can just 'mount' the phone. its the same usb cable . No abd needed. no muss no fuss. Speaking from experience this is just a case of not paying attention aka (not careful) and 2 always back up your back ups (not thinking ahead). This is almost a given, just saying.
    curtis1973 likes this.
    05-11-2012 03:21 AM
    curtis if you want the stuff from you sdcard pull it out now. stop using it. either find undelete, Recuva. I have used both and liked undelete better but recurva has high reviews.

Regarding removing the format sdcard...dont think its going to happen. Its been stated many times you are responsible for whatever you do and like others have said it is a two step process. Plus what about people that really want to format the sdcard from recovery. Ya know it is the best way to properly format your sdcard.

Also please refrain from trashing the alpha builds. If it wasnt for alpha builds we would never have working betas and final builds. Again you choose to flash this and its not the devs fault your phone doesnt play nice. There are several people dare I say several dozen that have been running these without any problems. Furthermore I see you and moan about stuff but never provide logcat reports or any type of logs to help trouble shoot your problem.
    curtis1973 likes this.
    05-11-2012 04:19 AM
    i agree with all of you. it was just a bad flub all the way around. gotta learn to be more careful in recovery.

notown likes this.
    05-11-2012 07:32 AM
    I myself have also formatted the sdcard in recovery totally by accident. It definitely is a costly mistake, especially if you don't have a backup. You definitely learn to be a bit more cautious, no matter how good you think you are, or how many times you've successfully executed it.

Although I've been a long time lurker (almost a year), this is my first post. I just wanted to say thank you to all the developers and contributers to this community. You guys definitely do amazing jobs, and continually deliver high quality products. We (I) thank you very much.

Currently running 5/10 mirage - the latest kernel has done my OV wonders. Patiently awaiting ICS.
    05-11-2012 01:12 PM
    I myself have also formatted the sdcard in recovery totally by accident. It definitely is a costly mistake, especially if you don't have a backup. You definitely learn to be a bit more cautious, no matter how good you think you are, or how many times you've successfully executed it.

Although I've been a long time lurker (almost a year), this is my first post. I just wanted to say thank you to all the developers and contributers to this community. You guys definitely do amazing jobs, and continually deliver high quality products. We (I) thank you very much.

Currently running 5/10 mirage - the latest kernel has done my OV wonders. Patiently awaiting ICS.
    it definitely is a costly mistake. lost all my sexy lady wallpapers i made!! lol :
    wasnt so distraught about the roms,apps,etc...oh well,it is what it is. and welcome to the forums officially :thumbup:
    05-11-2012 01:18 PM
    i agree with all of you. it was just a bad flub all the way around. gotta learn to be more careful in recovery.

You are not alone, I did the same exact thing. Fortunately, I had copied my sdcard to my PC, so I was able to copy it back and have everything that was there a month ago...

Yep, pay attention to what you are doing, but also back up that sdcard. Costs nothing, may save your sanity some day.
    05-11-2012 08:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD