Restarts and random reboots.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Its probably one of the most processor intensive times in the life of the phone. Your phone is working at 100% to get everything booted and running so it gobbles up battery.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
It is the same reason they suggest letting your pc idle instead of turning it off all the time. It take more power to power up the come out of a sleep state.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Correct... Don't get the wrong idea, its good to reboot your device every now and then and I always recommend booting in to recovery every few days or at least once a week and doing a dalvik cache/cache partition wipe. It cleans up the accumulated garbage and your phone runs like a champ again for another few days until it loads up again.

Reactions: Dave Begue

Zhara

Queendroid
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok, that makes sense, but why then does it sometimes show MORE charge after a reboot? This just happened to me...

46025d8a-c674-0191.jpg

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Ok, that makes sense, but why then does it sometimes show MORE charge after a reboot? This just happened to me...

Click to view quoted image
It just happens that way.. I've seen it too... Don't know the "exact" particulars to why it happens but it can vary from reboot to reboot.. I maybe off base a bit here but I think it has to do with accumulated stats in your battery cache, which users always believe but wiping it will produce better battery life which we know isn't true..

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Battery meters aren't perfectly accurate.

Depending on how they measure, it can be a matter of tolerances, or even temperature of the battery.

epicb0dyc0unt

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I think I see a bit of an issue. I am running the new MIUI build that I got from VMroms (btw thanks leslieann for the site) and when my sdcard randomly ejects I have to take it out and put it back in and it forces a reboot.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Large drains in battery after a crash/reboot are usually caused by kernel panic. The kernel is attempting something that causes it to shoot up to 100% usage at the highest cpu speed allowed. This will often overheat the cpu and cause a freeze or crash and subsequent reboot. Kernel panic can be caused by lots of different things.

The reason you sometimes appear to have more battery life is due to how the battery meter works. There is no way to determine a battery's current charge without applying a load to it, and then using algorithms to determine the battery level. This is not perfect, and cannot be made to be perfect.

I've been riding an electric bike for my commutes to work now for over 3 years, and have learned a bit about batteries along the way, and how to take proper readings from them. Believe it or not, it's an imperfect science even with today's technology.

epicb0dyc0unt

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
google the term "bump charging"

If the phone still does that after your battery is calibrated then it may be getting near replacement time.

After Googling that it kinda makes sense as to why I am down to 67% with my phone sitting idle at school.

just ya know...tapatalkin' from my OpV

Dave Begue

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Correct... Don't get the wrong idea, its good to reboot your device every now and then and I always recommend booting in to recovery every few days or at least once a week and doing a dalvik cache/cache partition wipe. It cleans up the accumulated garbage and your phone runs like a champ again for another few days until it loads up again.

I have never heard of doing this before outside of flashing a rom update. So if I do these two wipes I will still have all my old system and data stuff there? hmmmm didn't know. I been using sd maid for a while, don't know if that is good or bad. SD maid probably doesn't touch any of the cache things right?

_Severability_

May 2, 2012
Visit site
I have never heard of doing this before outside of flashing a rom update. So if I do these two wipes I will still have all my old system and data stuff there? hmmmm didn't know. I been using sd maid for a while, don't know if that is good or bad. SD maid probably doesn't touch any of the cache things right?

Oh get use to that effect in here my friend.. LeslieAnn and others kind folks here are very patient with the android ignorant and have forgotten more on this topic than you and I will ever learn imo.. Join the club ;).. Dalvik is a java cache and is just like wiping cookies on a pc but a little different.. All the old programs will still be there after the wipe..Just don't push the wrong button and it will be ok.. Or LeslieAnn will correct me and give you the truth lol.. Read and Enjoy.. Lots of you tube vids out there too if your more visual in how you learn like me..

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Yes you will still retain your system data/settings. Just don't do a DATA WIPE/FACTORY RESET.

Oh get use to that effect in here my friend.. LeslieAnn and others kind folks here are very patient with the android ignorant and have forgotten more on this topic than you and I will ever learn imo.. Join the club ;).. Dalvik is a java cache and is just like wiping cookies on a pc but a little different.. All the old programs will still be there after the wipe..Just don't push the wrong button and it will be ok.. Or LeslieAnn will correct me and give you the truth lol.. Read and Enjoy.. Lots of you tube vids out there too if your more visual in how you learn like me..
Exactly... Well stated and your correct, LeslieAnn, Jerry and all the other in house AC Devs probably have forgotten more than we will ever know ;)

Myself, I know a fair share and have a lot of theming and some ROM building experience but it doesn't stack up to what our devs do on a daily basis.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conrad Edmund