Oops! Need advice.

laxman3737

May 23, 2012
Visit site
So I accidentally flashed the kernel on my OV. The phone turns on but after the lg symbol the phone screen goes black and does the vm start up sound. and it rings but the screen is still black. I called VM and told them my screen/phone was not working and they said they would send me a replacement phone and that I have to send the broken one in. The phone is rooted and I don't want my account terminated/suspended. should I zap it in the microwave for a few seconds? and advice? this is urgent.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
My honest advice? Fix your mistake and tell them you don't need the replacement anymore. Tell them it just started working again or something. Flash the stock update.zip from the Virgin Mobile website and re-root.

laxman3737

May 23, 2012
Visit site
nvm. I got it to work. the phone restarted but is on the lg screen and has been for about a minute; is this normal?

edit: it seems like it is permanently stuck on the lg screen. but I did the vm update. I am still going to send it in and say that the update did not work and the screen is stuck.

Last edited:

DKGerbil2

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
The phone is rooted and I don't want my account terminated/suspended. should I zap it in the microwave for a few seconds?

nvm. I got it to work. the phone restarted but is on the lg screen and has been for about a minute; is this normal?

People like you really shouldn't be rooting and installing anything.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
READ READ READ READ READ READ.

Reboot into recovery and do a factory reset/wipe data. Then flash the zip again.

And no dont send it in. That is fraud. and If they find out and feel like making a example out of you can sue you for minimum of $10,000 and possible jail time.

Own your mistake. Chalk it up to a lesson learned.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm happy to try to help you, but do you even want it at this point?

---

Pull the battery, put it back in. Hold down the volume down, home, and power key, and let it go as soon as the LG logo appears. Tell me what you see. If you can get a picture, even better.

laxman3737

May 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm happy to try to help you, but do you even want it at this point?

---

Pull the battery, put it back in. Hold down the volume down, home, and power key, and let it go as soon as the LG logo appears. Tell me what you see. If you can get a picture, even better.

its black

laxman3737

May 23, 2012
Visit site
ok guys so, I think I am screwed so I think I am going to upgrade to the optimus elite and just buy a new phone because it is one sale and already has gingerbread. I cannot lie to vm, I am too honest of a person and it would eat me up inside. thanks for the input.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so, that means that you flashed a recovery that isn't compatible with your phone's screen.

Install the Android SDK: http://dl.google.com/android/installer_r18-windows.exe

Install the Java JDK: Java SE Development Kit 7u3 Downloads -- choose the version that corresponds with your computer, i586 for 32-bit and x64 for 64-bit.

After all that, go to Start > Programs > Android SDK Tools > SDK Manager and UNCHECK any boxes that are checked already.

Then, check the box next to Android SDK Platform Tools

Press the button that says 'Install 1 package...' on the bottom right. Let it do it's thing. Go have a smoke or something in the meantime.

Now, here's where the fun begins. Download the following two files and copy them to your SD card.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/72059024/flash_image
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/72059024/VM670NH_recovery.img

Put the card back in your phone. Pull battery, put back in, hold vol down, home, and power, and let go as soon as the LG logo appears. Plug your phone into your PC.

Go to "Start" > Run and type in "cmd" (without the quotes.) Press enter.

cd into the platform-tools folder that the Android SDK installed. If you left everything default, your command will look like "cd C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools\"

type in "adb devices" and press enter. You should see a string of numbers and then the word 'recovery'.

Now, type "adb shell" and press enter.

Then, in the adb shell, type the following commands, one at a time.

su
mount -o remount,rw /system /system
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
mount -o remount,ro /system /system
flash_image recovery /sdcard/VM670NH_recovery.img

If you get any errors, STOP, post back here, be as detailed as possible.

If you get no errors, and it's done doing it's thing, unplug your phone. Pull the battery, put it back in, and boot holding vol down, home, and power, and let go of power at the LG logo. You should now be at your custom recovery, which you can use to flash the LG Stock update.zip, and then go from there.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
ok guys so, I think I am screwed so I think I am going to upgrade to the optimus elite and just buy a new phone because it is one sale and already has gingerbread. I cannot lie to vm, I am too honest of a person and it would eat me up inside. thanks for the input.

We all make mistakes. Sorry it took me so long to get back, I had a lot to type. I may be passing out soon, so don't go whipping out the debit card until I have a chance to get back to you tomorrow morning, at least. :)

laxman3737

May 23, 2012
Visit site
We all make mistakes. Sorry it took me so long to get back, I had a lot to type. I may be passing out soon, so don't go whipping out the debit card until I have a chance to get back to you tomorrow morning, at least. :)

ok I will give what you posted a shot. you have been so helpful. I will contact you in the morning if this works or not. :)

laxman3737

May 23, 2012
Visit site
Okay, so, that means that you flashed a recovery that isn't compatible with your phone's screen.

Install the Android SDK: http://dl.google.com/android/installer_r18-windows.exe

Install the Java JDK: Java SE Development Kit 7u3 Downloads -- choose the version that corresponds with your computer, i586 for 32-bit and x64 for 64-bit.

After all that, go to Start > Programs > Android SDK Tools > SDK Manager and UNCHECK any boxes that are checked already.

Then, check the box next to Android SDK Platform Tools

Press the button that says 'Install 1 package...' on the bottom right. Let it do it's thing. Go have a smoke or something in the meantime.

Now, here's where the fun begins. Download the following two files and copy them to your SD card.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/72059024/flash_image
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/72059024/VM670NH_recovery.img

Put the card back in your phone. Pull battery, put back in, hold vol down, home, and power, and let go as soon as the LG logo appears. Plug your phone into your PC.

Go to "Start" > Run and type in "cmd" (without the quotes.) Press enter.

cd into the platform-tools folder that the Android SDK installed. If you left everything default, your command will look like "cd C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools\"

type in "adb devices" and press enter. You should see a string of numbers and then the word 'recovery'.

Now, type "adb shell" and press enter.

Then, in the adb shell, type the following commands, one at a time.

su
mount -o remount,rw /system /system
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
mount -o remount,ro /system /system
flash_image recovery /sdcard/VM670NH_recovery.img

If you get any errors, STOP, post back here, be as detailed as possible.

If you get no errors, and it's done doing it's thing, unplug your phone. Pull the battery, put it back in, and boot holding vol down, home, and power, and let go of power at the LG logo. You should now be at your custom recovery, which you can use to flash the LG Stock update.zip, and then go from there.

when I click "install one item" it says 'done. nothing was installed' (forget that part, I ran it as an admin and it worked, ) I am trying your method as soon as it is done downloading

Last edited:

laxman3737

May 23, 2012
Visit site
now I get a cannot connect to daemon message. Would it be easier to just buy a new phone like the elite? I recently won enough money in a hockey pool that will cover it....

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
That's up to you man. That ADB error is beyond me, I've never gotten it before. Try rebooting your PC?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams