Performance - Battery -Tips/Tweaks

notown

SAMLOKA
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Set CPU + Performance settings for CM7. I wanna share my performance tips for set cpu and Cm7 ROMs. This is mostly for those who are lucky enough to be able to Over Clock your OVs... and for those who haven't figured out what these settings do.

I hope ive made this clear enough, please contact me if you dont understand- most importantly dont change anything if you are not sure

I've read through mmarz thread and came to these custom settings.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...attery-drain-optimization-tests-part-2-a.html

I would advise you not to Overclock if you are not aware of the fatal consequences.

I've been using these settings for quite a while. I'd say my combination is set for 92% efficiency - CPU and 8% boost when needed. With my settings ive been able to achive an extra 8 hours out of my 2800MaH battery. Since its significant I'd like to share with you.

Share your settings/mods :)

Cyanogen CM7 settings.

1. Compchache RAM usage- set to 26%
2. UseJit - YES
3.Enable surface dithering-NO
4. Use 165bit trans. -YES
5.Scrolling chache-Force enable
6. Allow purging of assets-YES
7.Lock home in memory -YES
8.VM heap size -48m
9.Removed all haptic-feedback (except keyboard)

Anphetamines MOD + Launcher pro ( one of the lightest yet customizable)

These settings alone will give you a new phone feel.

Now lets move on

THESE SETTINGS ARE CONSIDERED SAFE BUT EXPERIMENTAL * USE AT YOUR OWN RISK*?

?IF YOUR PHONE IS NOT STABLE ABOVE 600MHz - 844MHz PLEASE STOP READING NOW.​

I would advise against the "conservative" scaling that gradually changes your clock speed to task if you still decide to underclock.

Conservative governor is really one of the worst you can choose for the O.V...But if you can tweak it right.. it can be THE "kickass 2.0" lol well something like that.

I went ahead and searched for a governor that can be tweaked to my specifications with what I knew.. strangly and weird enough - Conservative- was the setting that held my Min - at 806Mhz without any erratic spikes to Max..AND most importantly .. it lets me tweak it in the advanced settings using SetCpu...

In theory my Min & Max is 806MHz, but when I really need an extra burst of speed it'll trigger my FULL Max at 864MHz.

The settings that I tuned is for SetCPU ( which is free if you go to the original thread)

The last one is very important and very experimental Ive had no reboots no freezes so please report any problems

What if you need an extra boost and need your phone to go faster when you're running something intensive like a game? What If your'e willing to sacrifice some battery juice so you could let your CPU jump to your full max e.g - 864MHz-. (* Without the governor scaling up or down in between clocks* - for better performance and battery consumption. I made mine stay in these clock states. Sensitive enough that it skips all the clocks in between clock but not erratic that it spikes at normal use - it does everything from texting -browsing web - notification bar- AND ITS SMOOTH- at 806MHz -however when it sees a load over 99% - 864Mhz or your ultimate Max comes in play-hopefully to speed things up-and so it wont consume too much power it shuts off back to Min - 806% when it sees 98% load or less. Again its sensitive enough that when the min clock comes in play, it skips between the other clock speeds and goes from 864 straight back to 806MHz. Nothing in between is what im aiming for . Remember that the OV uses the same amount of battery at ANY CLOCK SPEED WHEN A CPU LOAD IS NOT PRESENT

My custom Set CPU for OV Settings

WHEN YOU RESTART YOUR PHONE MAKE SURE THESE SETTINGS STAY ON AFTER BOOT

attachment.php

806MHz min-and my stable MAX at 864MHz. ( of course, max depends on every phone) every phone is different and wont O.C the same -set this accordingly.

So - 806MHz min - 864MHZ max

(some might want to set a screen off/temp profile at 480-600 in case it gets over 40.c and you're concerned about your O.V) I should mention that 806MHZ *shouldn't* over heat your phone.. but 864MHz can get pretty warm. I don't put anything on however it is my phone.

If you have better ideas or advice please post your findings​

If youd like to know more about my settings and why i think they work then read on

If you don't know what these settings are and want to know then read the following FAQ/TUTS.

[REF][TWEAKS] Kernel Governors, Modules, I/O Schedulers, CPU Tweaks, AIO App Configs - xda-developers

[TUT] SetCPU and Advanced Settings - xda-developers

When we zoom in on the results at the high end of the CPU clock speeds, we see that the highest stable clock speed for this phone, 825 MHz, is not the most efficient. It is actually 806MHz that consumes the least amount of energy to complete the test. Even though 825 is faster, the increased power consumption counteracts its speed. It is also obvious that the slower clock speeds are way more inefficient for completing a CPU intensive task.

MIN

806MHz is the "sweet spot" for mmarz's OV.So I set my low to 806MHz. Why? Between 145-480MHz there is no noticeable battery consumption w/ CPU load but 480MHz finishes faster and uses the same amount of battery as 145Mhz - 480Mhz ..So 480MHz is the "best" for your Min AKA "idle" (when your phone is on)

MAX

After 480MHz battery consumption goes up (WHEN YOUR CPU IS ON A LOAD) BUT your CPU is faster, meaning it'll finish faster and go back to idle speeds quicker.

In the long run faster clock speeds will save battery ON A CPU LOAD (assuming you're using a governor that sets the clock speed high and then back to min -idle when done)

Governors to me are like a burst of speed that can balance battery consumption vs performance - in this case*with a cpu load*

Some people set their Min and Max at the same speed. Like so - 806-806MHz.

This is because when no load is present- battery consumption is ALWAYS THE SAME *according to the test results*

"The lower limit does not matter all that much. I now have my lower limit set at the same value as the upper limit. When idle, both high and low clock speeds consume the same power. When the CPU is needed, the higher clock speed is more efficient (to a point)."

So why not set my Min to 480MHz Min? *when screen is on*

When I'm using my phone to play a game or to simply text 806Mhz is the most balanced performance CPU efficiency vs battery consumption. I always do something when I turn on my phone. When a governor like "conservative or power save" are activated it goes from 480 through 600 - 729- etc.-etc.to your max.. its actually using more battery.

"I would advise against the "conservative" scaling that gradually changes your clock speed to task if you still decide to underclock. This will only slow you down and consume more battery power. You also don't need a separate profile for when your phone is on standby. Lower clock speeds can only worsen your battery life"

Plus once my phone is on... I HATE when if it lags.. so 806MHz Min seems to be the perfect balance for me. But we can keep the 480MHz-600 when screen is off.

"It is actually 806MHz that consumes the least amount of energy to complete the test. Even though 825 is faster, the increased power consumption counteracts its speed." -This where the profiles come in play.

I set 3 important settings.​

806MHz min-and my stable MAX 864MHz. ( of course your max depends on every phone) every phone is different and wont O.C the same -set this accordingly.

806MHz min - 864MHZ max

(some might want to set a profile for temp. at 480-600 in case it gets over 40.c and you're concerned about your O.V) I should mention that 806MHZ *shouldn't* over heat your phone.. but 864 can get pretty warm. I don't put anything on FYI but its my phone.

Now the last one is very important and very experimental. This is where I think I made a great balance between heat, performance and battery consumption.

If you are going to use SetCPU, overclocking will save you battery life. Underclocking will actually cost you. I would recommend leaving the upper limit one notch lower than what is considered stable for your phone. The lower limit does not matter all that much. I now have my lower limit set at the same value as the upper limit. When idle, both high and low clock speeds consume the same power. When the CPU is needed, the higher clock speed is more efficient (to a point). I would advise against the "conservative" scaling that gradually changes your clock speed to task if you still decide to underclock. This will only slow you down and consume more battery power. You also don't need a separate profile for when your phone is on standby. Lower clock speeds can only worsen your battery life.

So, "one notch lower than what is considered stable for you phone"-​

What if you could stay on 806MHZ (the sweet spot) for just browsing your apps, checking your notification bar, market browsing..without your phone jumping up to your full max. 806MHz should be your starting point, simple tasks IMHO shouldn't need more power. 806MHz to 864MHz performance gains are minimal but do consume more battery.

What if you need an extra boost and need your phone to go faster when you're running something intensive like a game? What If your'e willing to sacrifice some battery juice so you could let your CPU jump to your full max e.g - 864MHz-. (* Without the governor scaling up or down in between clocks* - for better performance and battery consumption. I made mine stay in these clock states. Sensitive enough that it skips all the clocks in between clock but not erratic that it spikes at normal use - it does it at 806MHz -however when it sees a load over 99% 864Mhz or your ultimate Max comes in play-hopefully to speed things up-and so it wont consume too much power it shuts off back to Min 806% when it sees 98% load or less-again sensitive enough that it skips between the other clock speeds in between 806- 8064MHz

806MHz for 'everyday' tasks such as browsing the web, texting, phone call, non intensive tasks without the sensitive spiking to my Max that consumes more power after 806MHz.

" It is actually 806MHz that consumes the least amount of energy to complete the test. Even though 825 is faster, the increased power consumption counteracts its speed."

Why won't I allow it to spike to 864Mhz if it clearly could finish faster? Well faster isn't always better in my case. I want the balance of both power and battery life. I need a phone, not a fast paper weight.

Lastly, the one setting that won't allow the Max to be too sensitive.

My Max is set to 864MHz BUT it idles & does MOST tasks (like those mentioned above) - (*even with CPU load*) at 806MHz.

This setting will jump your speed from your Min to your Max when ever it sees a load higher than 98% - and what would take a noticeable amount of time to finish the intensive task at 806MHz

This makes it for a good sweet spot balance and a boost when you need it like with higher intensive loads - e.g playing a game.

Last edited:
Reactions: lattimorej1986

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I admit I didn't read all of it as I'm falling asleep but will tomorrow, I do see a few issues though.

I know you went for performance, and you referenced Marzz's work. You also seem to have made the same mistake many have and failed to read all of it. More info was later discovered that contradicted some of what he found.

What he tested will work fine for short term loads. His, and yours however will try to burn up the phone and battery on things like navigation and music.

You should read the rest of both of his threads and my overclock thread (in its entirety as well).

Again, I only skimmed some of this, but what I read leads me to think you have at least some of it wrong.

By the way, the phone doesn't always use the same juice, it steps down at 480, which is why we set that as the low. Also, higher mhz does use more juice, even at the same voltage.

notown

SAMLOKA
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I tried to checked most of what you mentioned. I took care of the 480MHz with profiles and screen off. navigation and music when screen is off?because ive used up the same amount of battery with 806Mhz ..this is probably because when the screen is on and i listen to music I always do something if the screen is on... so like you said and what i wrote up there .. these settings does favor performance but only when you want to use your phone and the screen is on- minimal lag without the spikes of battery consumption but I think it saves battery in the long run. I do know that higher Mhz = more battery= thats why 806 seems to be a good balance for my phone.. and i with these settings want to keep it there (screen on)... unless im willing to sacrifice battery for time .. and even then that would mean very few tasks can trigger the 99% cpu load to up the clock speed to 864 with no lag .. its sensitive enough so that no clocks in between my min and max are used. For some reason this helps my battery.

Perhaps I can tune this better but so far ive had better response - less lag and longer battery life. It might be because I had no profiles before setcpu, this might only help those that do mess around with that stuff. Some users run their phone at 806/806, 729/806 I even read a 864/864 all without profiles etc.

so most of us are sacrificing battery for performance already.

With that said, users might find their " sweet spot" and use at as to their advantage. these settings are obviously for my phone, users need to use their own Max and Mins ( also mentioned )

I think its because 806 seems to be a good balance for all hands on tasks.

Thanks for the input. I hope itll help some of you out there, at least to understand set cpu and the V. . who knows maybe we can make a custom performance governor for our OVs. One that can skip less often.. E.G use 480 for idle 806 for 98% load and a max eg. 864Mhz for 99% load ....

If we can share our profiles and settings im sure we can fine tune the V. I will continue to do some testing and share what I find.

Any input would be appreciated.. please feel free to add to this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: lattimorej1986

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I had a chance to read through it...
For what you want to do it seems fine, though you seem conflicted on saving the battery. One moment you say you think it helps, and another you seem to think it is a sacrifice. The typical recommendation of Smartassv2 480/640 may induce a little lag on start, the idea is that you get the performance without the battery sacrifice.

Lag on start seems to be a big focus for you, and it shouldn't. Yes, it makes the phone laggy for a split second, but that's all, after that you shouldn't see it. You go through a lot of effort to remove that and you are really getting very little otherwise. The fact that you managed to remove it, makes me think something isn't fully powered down when the screen is off.

Why you aren't seeing the battery loss from this is a mystery, but could be due to a widget or something else has been keeping it running as well. Or maybe you are keeping more in memory. If it's the latter (most likely), then it will hurt you on apps that need memory.

One thing you should really do is several benchmarks at your higher clock speeds. Very few, if any of our phones are actually stable at 864. You may not be getting reboots, but that doesn't mean the system is dealing with higher than normal error rates, slowing your computing. Doing something fast but having to do it twice, isn't making you any faster. Which is what your phone is probably doing a lot of at that clock rate.

Also, one notch down? It's typically been 2 notches down. We found that one wasn't enough. The one way you might be able to get a clue as to where things change is running benchmarks and see where things stop scaling. As you go up, you get diminishing returns, as errors kick in, those returns should drop even faster.

If it's working for you, great.
I think it's a lot of work for basically stopping the initial lag in return for using more battery.

A.I.

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
806 as a min is nuts. The heat you're generating is very detrimental to the goal of "saving" battery life.

Secondly, conservative can be great, and I can attest to it. I've gotten around 3 days uptime on BumbleBee using tweaked conservative, at 480min and 600max. Why conservative? To really keep the CPU clocks down when I do minor tasks (scrolling primarily) and simple data transfer. It works better clocking up on a "really need it" basis otherwise it will stay low for what I do.

For me, OnDemand is too fast for scaling. Interactive stays high for no reason for me half the time. Smartass jumps around too much. Conservative keeps the clocks, and the temps, down until I really want it, which is what I want.

notown

SAMLOKA
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
806 as a min is nuts. The heat you're generating is very detrimental to the goal of "saving" battery life.

Secondly, conservative can be great, and I can attest to it. I've gotten around 3 days uptime on BumbleBee using tweaked conservative, at 480min and 600max. Why conservative? To really keep the CPU clocks down when I do minor tasks (scrolling primarily) and simple data transfer. It works better clocking up on a "really need it" basis otherwise it will stay low for what I do.

For me, OnDemand is too fast for scaling. Interactive stays high for no reason for me half the time. Smartass jumps around too much. Conservative keeps the clocks, and the temps, down until I really want it, which is what I want.

Thanks for the input, A.I. & leslie. I should mention that 806 for min is what I use for my phone ( it never over heats )I have profiles just for that just in case..ive used 806 or higher for about 6 months +.. and never got a single reboot or freeze or any weird things, before profiles .. cam test flies with flying colors. ( my settings can be tried for those who know their stable clocks ( also mentioned ) . I dont want to make this about my phone. this could help all of us. Im learning something new everyday. Its a good topic, bottom line every phone is different .. of course. However we can at least know whats going on in these little things. :p