06-04-2016 02:00 AM
1,697 ... 1819202122 ...
tools
    How do you back port all of this stuff? I want to get into kernels, but I need some background first.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    Start with learning C, developing, debugging, and building software in C, using the GNU compilers and make utility. Then, get familiar with configuring and building the Linux kernel and finding your way around its code base. In the next stage, start modifying the code and resolving dependencies, testing, debugging.

Just to make sure (and I have read through the 19 pages), I do not have to wipe anything if I am just flashing an update?? Is it better to wipe cache and davlik cache and then flash the update?
    Please read the stickies in this forum. I have not repeated those very useful information here. Basically, you are always supposed to wipe cache and dalvik-cache before updating your ROM. If the current ROM is not MiRage, a full wipe is recommended (i.e. /data, /system, and /cache).
    sellers86 and flapjack.fiasco like this.
    07-16-2012 10:33 PM
    Start with learning C, developing, debugging, and building software in C, using the GNU compilers and make utility. Then, get familiar with configuring and building the Linux kernel and finding your way around its code base. In the next stage, start modifying the code and resolving dependencies, testing, debugging.
    OK thanks. I may start working on a kernel after I get back from cedar point

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    07-16-2012 10:38 PM
    @mrg--- are you gonna update your github/kernel/downloads?... I was looking for the new kernel but doesn't look like its been updated yet...
    07-16-2012 11:50 PM
    The new rom is great, quite snappy and really responsive and super quick

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2
    mrg666 likes this.
    07-17-2012 05:59 AM
    @mrg--- are you gonna update your github/kernel/downloads?... I was looking for the new kernel but doesn't look like its been updated yet...
    I had forgotten uploading the latest kernel build to github. It is there now.
    07-17-2012 07:15 AM
    Well, it is worse for me. I have to build the ROM every time I update.

I will leave the removal of 01mvdalvik to the ones who want to do it. Removing that script to increase space in /cache causes other complications that I don't want to deal with. For example the ones who are not linking /data to sdext2 will start complaining about low space in /data this time since the purpose of 01mvdalvik is to balance the storage space between /cache and /data. I can't recommend everybody to link their /data to sdext2 either.
    Ah ok. No worries, I'll just have to remember to remove it!

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums
    07-17-2012 11:16 AM
    Ah ok. No worries, I'll just have to remember to remove it!

Have you investigated link2sd at all?

It should clear up most of your storage problems.

Bonus, it doesn't break widgets while apps are on your SD. :thumbup:

Sent from my mirage'd OV.
    mrg666 likes this.
    07-17-2012 06:13 PM
    Have you investigated link2sd at all?

It should clear up most of your storage problems.

Bonus, it doesn't break widgets while apps are on your SD. :thumbup:

There are so many tricks/mods to link /data to the SD card. I don't want to get into that discussion. Whatever method we choose, there will be disadvantages and problems since OV does not have large internal storage as the other high-end phones do. The best practice is to sticking with one of the methods (I use and recommend Link2SD) and learning to deal with it. I don't want to use a method that is making the ROM dependent on the SD since not everybody has a large SD card. Also, SD card reliability and read/write speeds vary so wildly. If I link /data to sdext by default, people will be bringing here many other complaints due to sdcard performance and failure. For my sanity, I will avoid that.
    07-18-2012 11:42 AM
    Hey mrg666 have you had issues with updating the ROM when using link2sd? I keep missing apps after an update and have to do a clean install more often than I would like to.

My process for flashing updates is wipe Dalvik, flash, restart, recreate mount scripts, restart. But then is where apps start going missing. What steps am I missing?

sent from my Ginger Cream Rover using Tapatalk
    07-18-2012 03:16 PM
    Hey mrg666 have you had issues with updating the ROM when using link2sd? I keep missing apps after an update and have to do a clean install more often than I would like to.

My process for flashing updates is wipe Dalvik, flash, restart, recreate mount scripts, restart. But then is where apps start going missing. What steps am I missing?

sent from my Ginger Cream Rover using Tapatalk
    I can only recommend reformatting/repartitioning your SD and completely wiping your phone before reflashing the ROM. If you are still having such problems, try replacing the sdcard. This is clearly a problem specific to your phone or sdcard.
    07-18-2012 03:20 PM
    I had missing apps too when I updated.

After recreating mount scripts in link2sd and rebooting I noticed my /cache was totally full and some apps were missing.

I relinked dalvik cache files and library files with link2sd and that took care of the full cache. When I rebooted again my missing apps were back.

I dunno. Maybe if you have a lot of apps not all can make the transition without creating mount scripts, rebooting, linking dalvik cache and library files to make more room, rebooting again.

Dunno if that made sense, but basically I had the same problem and an extra reboot solved it.

07-18-2012 03:58 PM
    whats the name of the app with the clock and weather in it?

Just moved to this rom and liking it so far

07-18-2012 06:03 PM
    I use link2sd also, and prior to flashing a new build, I copy the 11link2sd init script from my local system into the /system/etc/init subdirectory of mrg's flashable zip. I use Astro file manager for this.

This way, the normal link2sd magic is done on first boot and I don't have to reload widgets or deal with missing apps.
    mrg666 and Schlidel like this.
    07-18-2012 06:27 PM
    whats the name of the app with the clock and weather in it?

Just moved to this rom and liking it so far
    The clock widget is Smoked Glass Weather Clock
    ThatGuyLurkin likes this.
    07-18-2012 08:24 PM
    Wonder why I never seen that before. :O

Hey MRG, do you use the default ADW Launcher? Or a side Launcher.

Sent from my Triumph using Tapatalk 2
    07-18-2012 09:21 PM
    Wonder why I never seen that before. :O

Hey MRG, do you use the default ADW Launcher? Or a side Launcher.

Sent from my Triumph using Tapatalk 2
    Default ADW. Although I had bought ADW EX, ADW is just fine for me on the small screen of OV.
    ThatGuyLurkin likes this.
    07-18-2012 09:28 PM
    I use link2sd also, and prior to flashing a new build, I copy the 11link2sd init script from my local system into the /system/etc/init subdirectory of mrg's flashable zip. I use Astro file manager for this.

This way, the normal link2sd magic is done on first boot and I don't have to reload widgets or deal with missing apps.
    Found this while looking for something else - I've used QtADB before but had not seen this modified version by nijel. Simplifies the process by copying the init script, wiping, installing rom, inserting script, etc.... (haven't tried it yet but I will soon or at next update).
    I have this built into QtADB Update ROM Function. You select your ROM on /sdcard, check box "Copy Link2SD mount script to the updated ROM" and press "Update". Your phone will reboot to CWM recovery, 11link2sd will be copied to temporary location, cache and dalvik will be wiped, ROM will be flashed, 11link2sd will be copied back to the new ROM's /system/etc/init.d folder and the phone will reboot in Android. All in just one click. Can't get easiest than that.
    EDIT: also I usually need to reboot 2 or 3 times after re-linking my apps before they all show up.
    07-18-2012 10:59 PM
    @groo79, Schlidel, terthii, and everyone who have missing apps with Link2sd after the first boot following a ROM update

I have made some modifications in the init scripts that I think will eliminate the missing apps problem that some of you are experiencing when using link2sd. There is a patch below for flashing right after wiping cache/dalvik-cache and flashing the ROM update.

The patch modifies the 01mvdalvik script to avoid moving dalvik-cache to /cache directory also adds 11link2sd script so that it can be executed during the first boot. 01mvdalvik script also cleans up the /data/tombstones directory. I have left that part intact. Actually, I added clean up of /data/system/dropbox directory as well. Here is the download link to the zip file.

VM670_link2sd_patch.zip

A couple of remarks:
    - If you set the "relink lib files at boot" and " relink dex files at boot" options in link2sd, you don't need to go to link2sd and do the dex and library file linkings manually.
    - After the first boot, the dex files are created in the internal memory and link2sd starts automatically linking them to sdext2. However, if there is not sufficient space in /data for the initially created dex files, system will have problems. So, if you are installing too many apps, link2sd is not for you and this patch will not help. My estimate based on the free space in /data for the number of apps that can cause problem with link2sd is >70 if there are no other apps filling up /data.

Please post your feedback here if you try.

Edt: I have modified the updater-script in the zip file to set the required permissions and ownership of the init scripts ... just in case.
    07-19-2012 06:03 PM
    The flashable zip appears to work, but I have a FAT32 partition instead of ext2/3, so link2sd didn't work correctly on first boot.
    07-19-2012 07:42 PM
    Sounds like a sweet patch mrg666.

Ill have to try it next when I update.

Tell me if this makes sense if you could. The problem of the missing apps was that /cache was filling up with regenerated dalvik-cache before it could all be moved and linked to SD. The patch puts the regenerated dalvik-cache directly to SD then link2sd script is added so it will load on first boot and relink dalvik etc.

Do I understand it right?

Edit: Wait, the dalvik-cache is put into /data not the SD, then linked.

07-19-2012 09:25 PM
    Mirage I can confirm the patch for ls670 works thanks

Looking for good cm9 or cm7 themes??? visit this site for good themes. http://forum.digitalhouseoftreats.com/
    mrg666 likes this.
    07-19-2012 11:33 PM
    Sounds like a sweet patch mrg666.

Ill have to try it next when I update.

Tell me if this makes sense if you could. The problem of the missing apps was that /cache was filling up with regenerated dalvik-cache before it could all be moved and linked to SD. The patch puts the regenerated dalvik-cache directly to SD then link2sd script is added so it will load on first boot and relink dalvik etc.

Do I understand it right?

Edit: Wait, the dalvik-cache is put into /data not the SD, then linked.

CM moves dalvik-cache to /cache from /data to balance the storage space. If you use link2sd it is then linked to /data/sdext2. I just eliminated the first link to decrease the complexity. Why would you move it (actually it was bind mount in 01mvdalvik) to /cache first and link back to /data/sdext2 via link2sd? I think that was the source of missing apps problem. For the ones who don't use any linking method, dalvik-cache is still moved to /cache by default if the patch is not used.
    flapjack.fiasco and Schlidel like this.
    07-20-2012 07:36 AM
    I tried to update a couple days ago to no avail, everything seemed to be working fine, except for 2 of my apps that refused to restore. The deal is, I'm not using link2sd or any other app to SD mod program; I have plenty of space both in system and data, so I spread my apps evenly between them (got like 40MB free in each with everything installed) and I run my games from the SD card.

When I updated, I wiped the cache, wiped the dalvik cache, flashed the kernel, flashed the ROM, and rebooted. Everything came up, but the apps I had installed in the system partition were gone. OK, no problem, I have backups on the SD card, I can restore with Titanium Backup. Ran it, restored a bunch, rebooted, rinse and repeat. Since it restores the apps to where they were installed, I didn't need to do any moving. The last two apps to restore seemed to take forever and hang, so I got out of Titanium and figured I'll just reinstall those manually... problem was one of them is the preinstalled app WHERE, and the only APK I have is within Titanium's Backups (with an obfuscated filename of course). So I started with the other app, which was QR Droid 5.1, I had an APK for that. Oops, install failed with "missing shared library" error... then the ROM locked up and I had to do a battery pull.

Rebooted, tried it again, same error. Ok, Factory Reset in Clockworkmod Recovery, Flashed my pre-update backup and rebooted. Everything is fine. Go back to recovery, having checked the ROM files against the MD5 for errors, repeated the update flash procedure... reinstalled my apps again... same problem when I get to QR Droid and WHERE.

So I'm now back on the 06292012 ROM. I flashed the newest kernel again, but since I don't know where it's messing up, I will wait till the next version and try again, unless someone has an idea what's up. :: shrug ::

Either way, I thought you'd like to know mrg666. Love this ROM
    mrg666 likes this.
    07-20-2012 07:03 PM
    Why run a malfunctioning rom just because it's the latest os. I'll stick with functionality and performance. I'll stick with MiRaGe.

mrg666, Schlidel and LeoLawliet like this.
    07-20-2012 08:53 PM
    I tried to update a couple days ago to no avail, everything seemed to be working fine, except for 2 of my apps that refused to restore. The deal is, I'm not using link2sd or any other app to SD mod program; I have plenty of space both in system and data, so I spread my apps evenly between them (got like 40MB free in each with everything installed) and I run my games from the SD card.

When I updated, I wiped the cache, wiped the dalvik cache, flashed the kernel, flashed the ROM, and rebooted. Everything came up, but the apps I had installed in the system partition were gone. OK, no problem, I have backups on the SD card, I can restore with Titanium Backup. Ran it, restored a bunch, rebooted, rinse and repeat. Since it restores the apps to where they were installed, I didn't need to do any moving. The last two apps to restore seemed to take forever and hang, so I got out of Titanium and figured I'll just reinstall those manually... problem was one of them is the preinstalled app WHERE, and the only APK I have is within Titanium's Backups (with an obfuscated filename of course). So I started with the other app, which was QR Droid 5.1, I had an APK for that. Oops, install failed with "missing shared library" error... then the ROM locked up and I had to do a battery pull.

Rebooted, tried it again, same error. Ok, Factory Reset in Clockworkmod Recovery, Flashed my pre-update backup and rebooted. Everything is fine. Go back to recovery, having checked the ROM files against the MD5 for errors, repeated the update flash procedure... reinstalled my apps again... same problem when I get to QR Droid and WHERE.

So I'm now back on the 06292012 ROM. I flashed the newest kernel again, but since I don't know where it's messing up, I will wait till the next version and try again, unless someone has an idea what's up. :: shrug ::

Either way, I thought you'd like to know mrg666. Love this ROM
    Unless you intend to change the kernel already included in the ROM, you don't need to flash kernel before ROM. Actually, you need to flash the kernel after the ROM if you want to use another since flashing the ROM will overwrite the kernel with the included boot image. Also, you say you are installing apps in /system and /data. As I understand, you are moving some of the user apps into /system. That is probably causing your troubles during the ROM update. I would recommend you to buy a larger sdcard and install your apps there.
    07-20-2012 09:15 PM
1,697 ... 1819202122 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD