06-04-2016 01:00 AM
1,697 ... 5657585960 ...
tools
    When updating (not switching ROMS) all you need to wipe is dalvik-cache and cache.
    After that just install the rom and gapps.
    I've never need to re-install Gapps on a ROM update.
    badblue1__ likes this.
    07-24-2013 08:22 AM
    I've never need to re-install Gapps on a ROM update.
    Most of the time you have to because the updater-scrpit might wipe the system.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2
    07-24-2013 04:23 PM
    Most of the time you have to because the updater-scrpit might wipe the system.
    Never had to re-install Gapps with MiRaGe updates here.
    mrg666 and badblue1__ like this.
    07-24-2013 04:33 PM
    never had to re-install Gapps ether, only on a new install.
    mrg666 and badblue1__ like this.
    07-24-2013 04:49 PM
    Well, unless your apps are Link2SD'd...
    07-24-2013 06:47 PM
    Well, unless your apps are Link2SD'd...
    There is no "unless"... my apps are linked. People should really read the ROM dev's posts first:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/opt...ml#post1844739
    kraven, mrg666 and badblue1__ like this.
    07-24-2013 06:54 PM
    Same here.
    When I just update all I ever have to do is relink the dalvik cache on all apps linked with Link2SD, and then uninstall the preinstalled ROM apps I don't use.
    The whole reason for not wiping the Data is so all apps, including the Gapps will be there after the update. No need what so ever to reinstall Gapps if I just wipe the cache partition and the dalvik cache.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums
    mrg666, badblue1__ and tli like this.
    07-25-2013 12:07 AM
    Just wipe cache and dalvik-cache if you are upgrading from a recent build of MiRaGE, otherwise do a complete wipe (data, system, cache, dalvik-cache). Reflashing GAPPS is only needed after a complete wipe.There is a link in the OP to the IHO wiki. You can find the installation instructions there.
    badblue1__ and tli like this.
    07-25-2013 08:07 AM
    Same here.
    When I just update all I ever have to do is relink the dalvik cache on all apps linked with Link2SD, and then uninstall the preinstalled ROM apps I don't use.
    The whole reason for not wiping the Data is so all apps, including the Gapps will be there after the update. No need what so ever to reinstall Gapps if I just wipe the cache partition and the dalvik cache.

Wait, so if I update the rom, do I unlink my apps dalvik from the SD card? I don't think I can fit them all on the phone's memory alone.

And someone said it's better to wipe everything and use Titanium back-up cause the phone is faster that way than compared to just updating. Is this confirmed true or just luck/ phone by phone basis?
    07-25-2013 09:21 PM
    Wait, so if I update the rom, do I unlink my apps dalvik from the SD card? I don't think I can fit them all on the phone's memory alone.

And someone said it's better to wipe everything and use Titanium back-up cause the phone is faster that way than compared to just updating. Is this confirmed true or just luck/ phone by phone basis?
    Just my personal opinion when doing this method...some of that might be because I've installed apps on prior ROM,s but no longer need, so when doing the full wipe and install method I don't reinstall those apps I had on my phone. Some apps will run in what I call vampire mode, basically in the background using memory and/or cpu cycles even if small. True that I could just uninstall the app, but never seem to do that, by backing them up with Titanium, I can just restore the apps I need over time after doing a fresh install.
    QuinnSF likes this.
    07-26-2013 06:57 AM

I've had the V since April of 2011. All you have to do before flashing the update is wipe the cache partition and tbe dalvik cache. Thats all.
    Once you reboot then you need to recreate the mount script, reboot, then open up Link2SD and relink the apps to the dalvik cache.
    I go back thru the system apps and delete those I don't use as well.
    The phone is just as fast as before.

You can wipe everyhing, flash the ROM and Gapps and use Titanium Backup and Root Uninstaller (used to reinstall apps that hang in Titanium Backup).

The procedure:
    Before entering recovery, backup all apps with data in the batch operations option found in the paid version of Titanium Backup (if you don't have the paid version stick to just updating the ROM as it will be too time consuming to restore apps with the free version).
    Root Uninstaller saves all apps in there apk form to the sd card. Go to folder and copy and paste to the root of the sd card all apk's that need to be on the internal storage. Link2SD, Titanium Backup, Root Uninstaller, any widget apps.
    Now go to the recovery and wipe:
    data/factory reset
    cache partition
    dalvik cache
    Format:
    boot
    data
    cache
    system
    sd ext (do not wipe sd card).
    Flash ROM and Gapps, reboot.
    Sign into google account thru the PlayStore. Reboot.
    Go to sd card and install all apk's on root of sd card.
    Open up Link2SD and create mount script. Reboot.
    Open up Link2SD. Go to menu. Select Auto link. Close and Open up Titanium Backup. Menu/batch operations/restore all missings apps and data (use this option only).
    As their restored Link2SD will auto link them.
    If Titanium Backup hangs on installing an app, reboot phone and restore app from RootUninstaller folder on sd card.
    Reboot phone when done.

07-26-2013 09:25 AM
    Just wipe cache and dalvik-cache if you are upgrading from a recent build of MiRaGE, otherwise do a complete wipe (data, system, cache, dalvik-cache). Reflashing GAPPS is only needed after a complete wipe.There is a link in the OP to the IHO wiki. You can find the installation instructions there.
    I recently upgraded MiRaGe and just wiped the cache and dalvik-cache. After rebooting, Google Maps and Navigation icons were still on my phone; however, if i touched them I received the message they were not installed. I then flashed Gapps, and then they were there. So, my experience seemed to indicate that I did have to flash Gapps. I'm using the CWM blue recovery.
    07-27-2013 01:03 PM
    Which Gapps version did you use? Never heard tell of anyone having to reflash Gapps after an update, and I've been crusing the V forums for over 2 years.

badblue1__ likes this.
    07-27-2013 02:18 PM
    If it was me, i would switch recoveries. I would go with the zengarden or cot recovery. Both have touch screen control and both have the options to get yourself out of a bootloop. Plus both are way more user friendly and far more advanced.

That's just me. F.Y.I.
    ZackVortex likes this.
    07-27-2013 02:26 PM
    Guys, I'm having a major issue. Whenever I try to install an app from Playstore, I get a 498 error message saying it can't download it. Any solution??
    07-27-2013 07:14 PM
    Guys, I'm having a major issue. Whenever I try to install an app from Playstore, I get a 498 error message saying it can't download it. Any solution??
    Don't know if this will help, but there was a thread about this : http://forums.androidcentral.com/opt...e-invalid.html
    07-27-2013 08:25 PM
    Don't know if this will help, but there was a thread about this : http://forums.androidcentral.com/opt...e-invalid.html
    Just saw that, ended up bootlooping, so I just flashed Harmonia. Now my home button doesn't work.. What a long night this was lol
    07-27-2013 08:30 PM
    I've always had the "package file is invalid" and 498 errors on the mirage build and my research leads me to believe it has something to do with the size of the cache partition... if I install every app I could ever want from the very first install--with Link2SD, as well--there doesn't seem to be a limit, but if I wait a few days I am guaranteed to have anything over ~9mb tell me I can't download/install it with a 498. If I choose option one--the install everything--I am guaranteed within the first month to have an update to an already installed app fail because of size constraints. I've tried every possible app and/or tweak to cure this and nothing works... however, I always come back to this ROM because it is, by far, the best on the OV!
    07-29-2013 11:19 AM
    Have you tried using any of cronmod's scripts instead of link2sd?
    07-29-2013 01:02 PM
    Which Gapps version did you use? Never heard tell of anyone having to reflash Gapps after an update, and I've been crusing the V forums for over 2 years.

Hi AndyOpie150,

I'm using the gapps-gb-20110828-signed. Thank you for your message.
    07-29-2013 02:13 PM
    If it was me, i would switch recoveries. I would go with the zengarden or cot recovery. Both have touch screen control and both have the options to get yourself out of a bootloop. Plus both are way more user friendly and far more advanced.

That's just me. F.Y.I.
    Hi badblue1,

I will look into those recoveries. Thank you for your message.
    badblue1__ likes this.
    07-29-2013 02:15 PM
    I've always had the "package file is invalid" and 498 errors on the mirage build and my research leads me to believe it has something to do with the size of the cache partition... if I install every app I could ever want from the very first install--with Link2SD, as well--there doesn't seem to be a limit, but if I wait a few days I am guaranteed to have anything over ~9mb tell me I can't download/install it with a 498. If I choose option one--the install everything--I am guaranteed within the first month to have an update to an already installed app fail because of size constraints. I've tried every possible app and/or tweak to cure this and nothing works... however, I always come back to this ROM because it is, by far, the best on the OV!
    I looked into this not long ago and found that the Google Play Store downloads apps directly into the cache partition before installing, so if there's not enough space in /cache for it (and maybe the .dex too) then you get an error. It's possible to get around this by deleting "/cache/download" and making it a link to "/data/sdext2/download" or some such. That causes Link2SD to not display the correct size of the /cache partition anymore but otherwise doesn't seem to hurt anything.

Apart from that, I'd keep an eye on your /cache space and keep linking app dalvik-cache files to leave 10-20 MB free.
    07-29-2013 05:12 PM
    I'm having power problems too after this update, but I'm not sure what's causing it. I've narrowed it down somewhat: there's a service process called com.google.process.gapps that's always eating CPU time while Wi-Fi is on (see picture.) It doesn't matter if Auto-sync is on or off. I thought maybe it was because I deleted Talk, but I tried putting it back and nothing changed. I'm hesitant to "upgrade" to Hangouts since it had severe crashing problems before. Any guesses?

I installed this one clean, ie. wiped everything but /sdcard, flashed ROM, flashed Gapps, reloaded apps with Titanium and Play Store. Upgrade flashes have never worked right for me.

07-29-2013 05:22 PM
    Thanks for this mod. I applied to optimus s and all's well. I did notice that the build dates are wrong though.
    Can I unzip the zip file modify the contents, re-zip and reload onto the phone? I guess the only problem I
    could think of was if there is some kind of checksum check but I don't think there is. Thought I'd ask before
    I do anything bad to the phone. I want to fix the build dates and also remove some apps.
    I would also like to know more about the files in the /data/system/dropbox directory. What is their purpose?
    07-29-2013 07:58 PM
    Thanks for this mod. I applied to optimus s and all's well. I did notice that the build dates are wrong though.
    Can I unzip the zip file modify the contents, re-zip and reload onto the phone? I guess the only problem I
    could think of was if there is some kind of checksum check but I don't think there is. Thought I'd ask before
    I do anything bad to the phone. I want to fix the build dates and also remove some apps.
    I would also like to know more about the files in the /data/system/dropbox directory. What is their purpose?
    You can do what you want on the phone itself. There's a file on the system partition called build.prop. Edit this file by using a file explorer like Root Explorer, or Root Browser, or ES File Explorer. Save your changes, reboot, and you're all set.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    tli likes this.
    07-29-2013 08:09 PM
1,697 ... 5657585960 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD