06-04-2016 01:00 AM
1,697 ... 5758596061 ...
tools
    Thanks for this mod. I applied to optimus s and all's well. I did notice that the build dates are wrong though.
    Can I unzip the zip file modify the contents, re-zip and reload onto the phone? I guess the only problem I
    could think of was if there is some kind of checksum check but I don't think there is. Thought I'd ask before
    I do anything bad to the phone. I want to fix the build dates and also remove some apps.
    I would also like to know more about the files in the /data/system/dropbox directory. What is their purpose?
    Do not unzip the file and change anything and then zip it back up, you will run into problems. Make sure that your Md5 sum matches the one in the OP.

Then you can do as flapjack fiasco suggests.
    07-29-2013 09:07 PM
    Do not unzip the file and change anything and then zip it back up, you will run into problems. Make sure that your Md5 sum matches the one in the OP.

Then you can do as flapjack fiasco suggests.
    I'm not suggesting making any changes to .zip files. I'm saying edit the build.prop on the installed system. This way, you don't have to reflash anything.
    07-29-2013 09:45 PM
    The md5sums are in the OP so that you know the zip file you downloaded has not been corrupted during download or have been tampered with. As for the zip files I found out that
    the manifest within contains hash digests of the different packages and altering the contents of the zip would cause the hash digest comparisons to fail. (that's what I understand)
    Then I'm not sure what happens, possibly some things just don't run.
    07-29-2013 11:34 PM
    The zip files need to be zipped/unzipped in Linux. If you do it in Windows, it screws up the file permissions or something.
    07-30-2013 03:26 AM
    I'm not suggesting making any changes to .zip files. I'm saying edit the build.prop on the installed system. This way, you don't have to reflash anything.
    @flapjack.fiasco sorry for the confusion, i understand what your saying and i totally agree.

I just wanted to make sure that he don't unzip the mirage. zip and change anything and zip it back up BEFORE he flashed it as he stated in his first question. ;-)
    07-30-2013 05:58 AM
    Can I unzip the zip file modify the contents, re-zip and reload onto the phone? I guess the only problem I
    could think of was if there is some kind of checksum check but I don't think there is. Thought I'd ask before
    I do anything bad to the phone. I want to fix the build dates and also remove some apps.
    Do not unzip the file and change anything and then zip it back up, you will run into problems. ...
    ... As for the zip files I found out that
    the manifest within contains hash digests of the different packages and altering the contents of the zip would cause the hash digest comparisons to fail. (that's what I understand)
    Then I'm not sure what happens, possibly some things just don't run.
    The zip files need to be zipped/unzipped in Linux. If you do it in Windows, it screws up the file permissions or something.

I just wanted to make sure that he don't unzip the mirage. zip and change anything and zip it back up BEFORE he flashed it as he stated in his first question. ;-)
    I guess I've just been lucky since I've unzipped, added & deleted files (i.e., unused/outdated system apps, custom scripts, and ringtone audio) and re-zipped on every MiRaGe update that I have flashed without any issue for over a year now. I do this with 7-zip on Windows platforms. I haven't encounter any issue with checksums, hashes, permissions or whatever unknown reasons with the modified zip file. I just generate a new MD5 for the modified zip file so that I could check its integrity during transfers from PC to PC and my OVs. I do not recommend that anyone could/should be modifying the zip, but if you know what you're doing, it can be done without any issue. At least, that's been my experience...
    badblue1__ likes this.
    07-30-2013 07:17 AM
    This works in Windows or Linux, but the key is that you open the file, not extract it. That is very likely what you did tli. You can open an archive and add or remove certain files, but you will start running into problems when you extract it and then compress it again. This is the method that badblue1 has been suggesting, and it's the method you want to use before a flash. However, if you want to modify things after you've already flashed, you can modify the files on the system partition as I suggested.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    badblue1__ likes this.
    07-30-2013 08:00 AM
    ... the key is that you open the file, not extract it. That is very likely what you did tli. You can open an archive and add or remove certain files, but you will start running into problems when you extract it and then compress it again. This is the method that badblue1 has been suggesting, and it's the method you want to use before a flash. ...
    Nope, again, I guess I've just been lucky... but I've always extracted and re-zipped without any problem.
    badblue1__ likes this.
    07-30-2013 08:09 AM
    Okay, always possible, but still, I wouldn't recommend that anyone else try it. There's several well documented cases of people wrecking their installation with that method. That being said, it's not gonna do any permanent damage to your phone. Personally, I don't have the time to waste risking having to flash twice. Both methods give you the same amount of access to the files in the archive, one method just carries less risk.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    tli and badblue1__ like this.
    07-30-2013 08:26 AM
    Okay, always possible, but still, I wouldn't recommend that anyone else try it. There's several well documented cases of people wrecking their installation with that method. That being said, it's not gonna do any permanent damage to your phone. Personally, I don't have the time to waste risking having to flash twice. Both methods give you the same amount of access to the files in the archive, one method just carries less risk.
    I believe the majority of problems occur when users wantonly/unknowingly/accidentally remove/modify necessary system/dependent files, and falsely attribute the problems to the extract and re-zip process. That's the reason for me not recommending that anyone be mucking with the zip if they don't know what they're doing...
    badblue1__ likes this.
    07-30-2013 08:42 AM
    I have had no problems extracting, changing (deleting/adding system files including the framework.apk), then zipping,signing,creating md5 sum-all from phone.
    I have Root Explorer.zip signer, and AFV (Android File Verifier).

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums
    tli and badblue1__ like this.
    07-30-2013 10:22 AM
    ... I've unzipped, added & deleted files (i.e., unused/outdated system apps, custom scripts, and ringtone audio) and re-zipped on every MiRaGe update that I have flashed without any issue for over a year now. I do this with 7-zip on Windows platforms. I haven't encounter any issue with checksums, hashes, permissions or whatever unknown reasons with the modified zip file.
    This is good info, thanks. I still don't know what the files are in /data/system/dropbox. Someone must know around here.
    07-30-2013 11:16 AM
    I have had no problems extracting, changing (deleting/adding system files including the framework.apk), then zipping,signing,creating md5 sum-all from phone.
    zipping what? The entire ROM? What are you signing? The apk? I will look up what rootexplorer and afv are maybe that will fill in the blanks for me.
    07-30-2013 11:22 AM
    -all from phone.
    Okay I get it now, you do this all from the phone, you're not re-flashing the ROM. Right?
    07-30-2013 11:25 AM
    I have done this many times in past when trying to find the right combo of host ROM, ported ROM, and kernel. I used the computer only to edit the framework.apk files.
    After each combo I would zip and flash to my phone to see If everything worked.
    Took me a week to find the right combo. I then signed the zip and generated an md5 sum so it could be downloaded by others.
    No interest in the ROM anymore so I deleted it from download site,computer, and phone.
    I did everything from phone (except the framework.apk) including editing the build prop.
    07-30-2013 11:49 AM

Okay then, I must be totally wrong. I admit it. I'll stop passing along that misinformation. I do however wonder what advantage is gained by unzipping the files? I find them just as easy to work on inside the .zip as they would be extracted, so am I missing something here?
    07-30-2013 12:43 PM
    I have done this many times in past when trying to find the right combo of host ROM, ported ROM, and kernel. I used the computer only to edit the framework.apk files.
    After each combo I would zip and flash to my phone to see If everything worked.
    Took me a week to find the right combo. I then signed the zip and generated an md5 sum so it could be downloaded by others.
    No interest in the ROM anymore so I deleted it from download site,computer, and phone.
    I did everything from phone (except the framework.apk) including editing the build prop.
    The details really help, thanks. There're so many different ways to do this stuff.
    Much obliged.
    07-30-2013 03:40 PM
    Okay then, I must be totally wrong. I admit it. I'll stop passing along that misinformation. I do however wonder what advantage is gained by unzipping the files? I find them just as easy to work on inside the .zip as they would be extracted, so am I missing something here?
    You're working on unzipped copies but maybe the software you use makes it seem that you're not. But, because zipping a file compresses the file's data, to work on a zipped file it has to be uncompressed first. I didn't know what you meant at first.

I unzip, edit the files as needed, re-zip and re-flash just so that my phone matches what I have on the laptop and vice-versa. I think it is just a matter of preference.
    The main thing for me was to know that unzipping, editing, re-zipping, re-flashing wouldn't make break things. How anyone goes about it shouldn't matter.
    flapjack.fiasco likes this.
    07-30-2013 03:46 PM
    I have an LG Optimus U (LG-US670) and installed this ROM... it works great!

Note that I don't use the cellular capabilities of this phone so I have no way to test that part. I only use this phone for when I jog or do other exercise stuff. Bluetooth heart rate monitor and BT headphones work great, WiFi works great, GPS works great, etc.

And unlike the stock ROM this one lets me turn on BT and WiFi when in Airplane mode. Before I could never use Airplane mode with bluetooth.... so the unused cellular radio was draining the battery unnecessarily.

I'm very pleased....great job guys
    08-16-2013 09:22 AM
    There seems to be an issue with excessive battery drain when Bluetooth radio is enabled (even if nothing is connected to it). My phone will drain almost completely in about 16 hours. If I disable the BT radio then the battery will only drain a few percent in that same amount of time.

Any suggestions?
    08-19-2013 08:33 AM
    ... battery drain when Bluetooth radio is enabled (even if nothing is connected to it). ...
    Even though there's no connected BT device, the BT radio is still active which it will continuously try to search and acquire for connecting device--draining battery. Battery drain can be minimized only by disabling BT when not in use.
    AndyOpie150 and mrg666 like this.
    08-19-2013 08:52 AM
    Even though there's no connected BT device, the BT radio is still active which it will continuously try to search and acquire for connecting device--draining battery. Battery drain can be minimized only by disabling BT when not in use.
    Of course... I understand that when BT is enabled there will be some power usage there. But my point is that the battery drain is INSANE compared to the stock ROM. I had always left BT enabled with the stock ROM and the battery drain was pretty low. Now my phone is dead within 16 hours of just sitting on my dresser not being used. If I disable BT there is a HUGE difference. Something is wrong somehwere...
    08-19-2013 09:14 AM
    Looks like it might be an issue with the official CM7.2 on some hardware. Here is a guy talking about it with a different model Optimus:

CM7 bluetooth stack for Optimus One/p500/p509 is a battery drainer | mindful omnivore
    08-19-2013 09:16 AM
    Google msm_serial_hs_dma wakelock shows a lot of additional info. Basically if BT is enabled the phone will NEVER go into sleep mode, leading to excessive battery consumption.
    08-19-2013 09:22 AM
    ... But my point is that the battery drain is INSANE compared to the stock ROM. I had always left BT enabled with the stock ROM and the battery drain was pretty low. ...
    Never really noticed stock ROM behaviour as I've been using CM7-based ROMs for quite some time now. I also use BT only while driving so the phone is always plugged into the auto adapter when in the vehicle. And I disable BT all other times when not in use. Battery life of 16-hours with BT-enabled seemed fairly typical to me... I didn't realize there is an issue?
    08-19-2013 10:09 AM
1,697 ... 5758596061 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD