06-04-2016 02:00 AM
1,697 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Another kernel update.

I have backported several DSP fixes from lge msm7x27 2.6.35 kernel and also updated the accelerometer drivers.

Accelerometer was getting slower with increasing uptime and especially Google Sky Map was very slow with it. My testing shows that this is fixed.

There was a sound problem that was occasionally freezing my phone while playing music especially with the Google Play Music app which is much more memory intensive than the default app. I have merged a fix especially for this and have not been able to reproduce this problem yet.

I would again appreciate testing if there are still people who want to help. You can download 06142012 kernel build from my github repo. I left the previous build there for the ones who want to revert just in case. The changes are here.

Edit: The accelerometer was locking up after resume/suspend cycle. I have fixed that and uploaded the kernel again.
    06-14-2012 01:01 PM
    mrg666, this is beautiful work. I did notice my phone slowing down a LOT using Google Play Music as well as an ANR dialog, but that was the only issue. Battery life is absolutely stellar so far, I'm in awe. I started at 100% today and will report back tonight with a screenshot of the battery graph. 122 / 844 Interactive.
    mrg666 likes this.
    06-14-2012 01:18 PM
    Well, thanks for the comments again. But let's not praise this ROM in the expense of the others. Everyone, this thread is for discussing MiRaGe and let's avoid criticizing other's work here.

Cbucz, I would appreciate if you can edit your post and remove the part unrelated to MiRaGe. I have not quoted your post just because of this.
    I apologize, as it was not my intention to criticize anyone anyone's work. post has been removed
    mrg666 likes this.
    06-14-2012 02:10 PM
    I am testing the updated accelerometer driver and there seems to be a big improvement. I would appreciate any feedback.
    06-14-2012 05:49 PM
    You're killing me here. Just updated and started testing the ROM build, now I have to update and test the new kernel. Just kidding, keep up the great work. Will report back tonight with results of the kernel test. By the way, the new build is running great. Been testing it at 122-806 interactive and it seems to be giving me slightly better battery life.
    06-14-2012 08:08 PM
    @mrg666: Some more testing of your new Interactive governor and 122 Min today. Beyond running it for another day, I had an opportunity to play Pandora for about an hour while driving in the same area where it froze last time I checked Interactive/122 with Pandora.

And bingo: Pandora had difficulty getting started in that area, and it skipped a lot -- but it didn't get stuck at 122 as it did last time I tested. Once I got closer to home, everything was smooth again. If I'd run at 245 or 480 Min (as I normally do with SmartassV2) it may have been fine throughout.

I have two more test I'd like to do, but I am 95% ready to say that your new Interactive governor works exactly as advertised. In particular that it handles low-load, non-interactive situations very well, using the lower register of clockspeeds -- as we discussed yesterday. (I did see your No frills CPU post, thanks.) Also, it is very responsive, even with low Min settings. So that governor is almost certainly a winner!

However, on the battery front I am not yet ready to say that it replaces SmartassV2 for all users (as much as I hate that name). I think it may have a tendency to shoot to Max (and stay there) whenever there is screen interaction going on. That's fine for some usage scenarios (say: idle most of the day, with an hour of gaming and occasional brief usage in between). But not all scenarios (say: several hours of web browsing, tapatalking and other tasks that do not require Max clockspeed).

Also, there is the aspect of the phone's overclockability. I'm getting a sense that Interactive is more "battery efficient" with 800+ Max, and less so on 729-768 Max.

So far these are just suspicions and gut feelings, I could be completely wrong. I'll test it and let you know what I find (when i can get the time...) Until then, please, please don't hammer me on these findings, because they really aren't findings yet :o

Thanks again for all you do!
    06-14-2012 09:26 PM
    @mrg666: Some more testing of your new Interactive governor and 122 Min today. Beyond running it for another day, I had an opportunity to play Pandora for about an hour while driving in the same area where it froze last time I checked Interactive/122 with Pandora.

And bingo: Pandora had difficulty getting started in that area, and it skipped a lot -- but it didn't get stuck at 122 as it did last time I tested. Once I got closer to home, everything was smooth again. If I'd run at 245 or 480 Min (as I normally do with SmartassV2) it may have been fine throughout.
    If the skipping is area dependent it means there is weak signal in that area. CPU governor or clock can't help with that. If skipping was due to CPU governor and/or clock, skipping would have happened everywhere.
    06-14-2012 09:54 PM
    No problems whatsoever with new kernel, overall very snappy. Interactive 480min 864 max, just putting it through its paces its no joke-IMPRESSIVE

sent from my icy cold optimus using inverted T.T.2
    06-14-2012 10:00 PM
    If the skipping is area dependent it means there is weak signal in that area. CPU governor or clock can't help with that. If skipping was due to CPU governor and/or clock, skipping would have happened everywhere.
    I know, but I go there once a week and don't normally have Pandora problems (on SmartassV2/480) except those two times I was on Interactive and 122 Min. That's why I say I think signal/reception and CPU/clockspeed are not as unrelated as we all think -- particularly when 3G data is involved. Maybe it's the re-transmits that require CPU attention, maybe the low clockspeed affects the modem processor. I don't claim to know, I am merely relaying that there seems to an observable connection.

In any case did the governor itself pass the streaming test with flying colors. If indeed this is related to CPU at all (and maybe it isn't, maybe it was just coincidence) I think it's the low Min, not the governor. Maybe that's why 245 is the stock Min.

Mrg, please understand this is not a complaint, not by any means. I am merely using this extreme situation as part of my test of governor and CPU settings. I promise I will give you more conclusive feedback. This was just to let you know what I found so far.
    06-14-2012 11:03 PM
    I have two more test I'd like to do, but I am 95% ready to say that your new Interactive governor works exactly as advertised. In particular that it handles low-load, non-interactive situations very well, using the lower register of clockspeeds -- as we discussed yesterday. (I did see your No frills CPU post, thanks.) Also, it is very responsive, even with low Min settings. So that governor is almost certainly a winner!

However, on the battery front I am not yet ready to say that it replaces SmartassV2 for all users (as much as I hate that name). I think it may have a tendency to shoot to Max (and stay there) whenever there is screen interaction going on. That's fine for some usage scenarios (say: idle most of the day, with an hour of gaming and occasional brief usage in between). But not all scenarios (say: several hours of web browsing, tapatalking and other tasks that do not require Max clockspeed).

So far these are just suspicions and gut feelings, I could be completely wrong. I'll test it and let you know what I find (when i can get the time...) Until then, please, please don't hammer me on these findings, because they really aren't findings yet :o

Thanks again for all you do!
    I have some to add to this.

When I first flashed the kernel, I was all excited because it was draining maybe 2% an hour...but that was while I was at home. As soon as I left the house, which is when my phone gets a lot more use, my battery life was -maybe- as good as Harmonia 2 or ICS, if not worse. CPU Spy shows that it doesn't seem to use some of the "mid-range" frequencies, in the 748-825 range, but spent a lot of time at 844, my max. Was what I was doing requiring that much power? I don't know, but I'm leaning towards 'no'. Random bouts of texting and Tapatalk, and I also have a tendency to flick my screen on / off to check for notifications.

Any insight on this from mrg or anybody else is much appreciated.

Dannemand likes this.
    06-14-2012 11:31 PM
    I love this rom.. O_O no joke.... It's so smooth and has the best battery life I've ever had on this phone.... Running 122 min and 806 max on interactive.. (battery lasted 10 hours before needing to be recharged ) I love it so much.... It handles mass effect and dead space flawlessly (unless the lights are shifting alot) but this kernel is great and so is this rom. Thank you mrg666 for all your hard work.

Sent from my Cybertronian QuattrOV using Tapatalk 2000 (Now With Teleka-Typing!!!!)
    06-15-2012 12:43 AM
    06-15-2012 02:16 AM
    Hey mrg666, when I first installed this rom with the kernel before the latest one, my benchmark score was 1775 and so I flashed the new one and ran another benchmark and my score is now: 1521. Any ideas?

Sent from my Cybertronian QuattrOV using Tapatalk 2000 (Now With Teleka-Typing!!!!)
    06-15-2012 06:30 AM
    I have some to add to this.

When I first flashed the kernel, I was all excited because it was draining maybe 2% an hour...but that was while I was at home. As soon as I left the house, which is when my phone gets a lot more use, my battery life was -maybe- as good as Harmonia 2 or ICS, if not worse. CPU Spy shows that it doesn't seem to use some of the "mid-range" frequencies, in the 748-825 range, but spent a lot of time at 844, my max. Was what I was doing requiring that much power? I don't know, but I'm leaning towards 'no'. Random bouts of texting and Tapatalk, and I also have a tendency to flick my screen on / off to check for notifications.

Any insight on this from mrg or anybody else is much appreciated.
    The key word is "use". Your battery drain depends on how you "use", how is the signal, how you configured your phone, your theme, background apps, sync settings .... I have no idea how you configured your phone and how you used it. But 1.5-2% per hour idle battery drain is what I get and it tells me that it is not the ROM that drains the battery. It is the "use". I had written these in the third post.

Regarding the mid CPU frequencies not used as much as the lowest and highest frequencies, that is the expected and ideal behavior. CPU must finish the tasks as quick as possible to enhance the user experience and also the battery life so that it can go back to the idle frequency as soon as possible. The middle frequencies are used mostly when the tasks are rate limited, such as playing music, playing network streaming media, transferring a file over the network ... In such cases, the cpu will be waiting (starving) for data and will be running at a frequency matching processing requirement of the data transfer rate. Play pandora radio for an hour and you will see that maximum frequency is not used as much
    cole2kb likes this.
    06-15-2012 06:57 AM
    Hey mrg666, when I first installed this rom with the kernel before the latest one, my benchmark score was 1775 and so I flashed the new one and ran another benchmark and my score is now: 1521. Any ideas?

Just a fluke due to a background process. Close the background processes and run the benchmark several times more. Better, don't run the benchmarks at all.
    glarepate and Ryuk6666 like this.
    06-15-2012 07:00 AM
    I have updated the 06142012 kernel to include the Compass driver fix as well. The sluggish response of both compass and accelerometer are fixed now. See the OP for the download links.
    Badboytoast likes this.
    06-15-2012 08:54 AM
    I have updated the 06142012 kernel to include the Compass driver fix as well. The sluggish response of both compass and accelerometer are fixed now. See the OP for the download links.
    So, I just checked it. Is the file the same name as before?
    Here's a pic of my current versions. Is there a newer version?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums
    06-15-2012 01:19 PM
    So, I just checked it. Is the file the same name as before?
    Here's a pic of my current versions. Is there a newer version?

I didn't change the version number. The current zip file includes the compass update in addition to accelerometer.
    06-15-2012 01:58 PM
    Do we flash the 06112012 build then flash the 06142012 kernel over it?

06-15-2012 03:30 PM
    Do we flash the 06112012 build then flash the 06142012 kernel over it?

It depends on what your coming from. I've been on mirage for a long time now. An yeah, I flash the kernel over top of mine no problems. But if your coming from something else, its always good to do a wipe. Less bugs. That always solves my issues

06-15-2012 03:41 PM
    It depends on what your coming from. I've been on mirage for a long time now. An yeah, I flash the kernel over top of mine no problems. But if your coming from something else, its always good to do a wipe. Less bugs. That always solves my issues

Ok thanks. I wasn't sure if the latest build and the latest kernel were together as one download or not. I don't see the link for the 06142012 kernel on the OP, just the 06112012 build.

06-15-2012 03:45 PM
    Ok thanks. I wasn't sure if the latest build and the latest kernel were together as one download or not. I don't see the link for the 06142012 kernel on the OP, just the 06112012 build.

No, the kernel is posted separately at his github

prime0025 likes this.
    06-15-2012 03:59 PM
    You can go to the Gthub link in post #126 if you just want to dl the kernel. The newest one is posted there. That's what I did and it worked fine.

I just flashed this ROM a day or 2 ago after having been on Harmonia 2.08. Both these ROMS are great. I'm going to play w/ Mirage a while longer as it is really smooth and fast. Harmonia was too. I just wanted to try something different for a while.
    06-15-2012 04:42 PM
    I'm back on mirage. (I can't quit you) I ran your current build all day, of course no problems. I will test your accelerometer fix tomorrow. I wanted to go a day without to have something to compare it to. As usual thanks. And I'm always down for being a test dummy. Its cheaper than donating.

sent from my Nokia 5110
    mrg666 likes this.
    06-16-2012 12:36 AM
    Accelerometer is definately better. Especially when I accidentally go in to landscape mode, It flips right back to portrait. Its still not perfect, but I wouldn't expect it to be. It is a cheap year and a half old phone. But it is better

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
    06-16-2012 11:03 PM
1,697 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD