[ROM+Kernel] MiRaGe-CM7.2-IHO (07132013)

rebel69ization

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I have merged minor updates for the cpufreq driver from 2.6.32.59 and backported the latest interactive governor from lge-kernel-msm7x27 kernel in the CM repo. The details of the changes and the flashable zip are available in my github repo. The kernel seems to be running fine based on my preliminary test. It would be great if there are some brave androidians who can test the cpu frequency scaling under different tasks. Thanks in advance!

Ill be your huckleberry

sent from my LS670 optimus V using inverted T.T.2

Reactions: mrg666

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ROM+Kernel] MiRaGe-CM7.2-IHO

Are we testing InteractiveX or Interactive governor?

Interactive.

InteractiveX is just a derivative of interactive and I have not seen any advantage of locking the minimum cpu frequency when screen is off. Just the opposite, it creates more trouble.

I use and recommend interactive governor. Just use the updated interactive governor in the latest kernel and choose the minimum CPU frequency as 122. It gives much better battery life and does not cause any extra lag.

Last edited:
Reactions: r00t

rebel69ization

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Running the new kernel, buttery smooth and fast mrg
42570784-9894-1bf2.jpg
42570784-98aa-e7b6.jpg

Reactions: mrg666

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

Running the new kernel, buttery smooth and fast mrgClick to view quoted image
Click to view quoted image

Not interactiveX, please test and use the updated interactive governor. I will be removing interactiveX and smartass in the next build since they are based on the old interactive governor. This will reduce kernel size and eliminate idle code.

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

Sorry I haven't been helping test your latest kernel, mrg. Just a lot of things on my plate these days, not much spare time.

One request: Would it be possible (and acceptable) for you to leave SmartassV2 governor in there? A lot of people (myself included) use it along with a 480Mhz Min setting and have really good results with it.

I am aware that you and whyzor recommend Interactive/122. Personally I have not had good results with that in the past -- it was particularly bad when streaming high bitrate Pandora on 3G with screen off. Admittedly, that was on the originial Interactive governor, not your new one :eek:

But I do remember back then your results were different for some reason, even on the original Interactive. I guess phones are different and we all use them in different ways. One size doesn't always fit all. For my part, I would just like to keep the CPU/governor setup I have now, since it works so well for me.

Edit: I remember now: One of my conclusions when I last tested CPU settings was that connection quality affects it: Being in an area with poor Sprint/VM signal quality seems to demand more CPU. Not sure why: Maybe it's the re-transmits, maybe the throttling affects clockspeed of the modem processor, I don't know. But with Interactive/122, streaming high bitrate Pandora on 3G simply killed my phone once the screen went off.

Last edited:

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

Sorry I haven't been helping test your latest kernel, mrg. Just a lot of things on my plate these days, not much spare time.

One request: Would it be possible (and acceptable) for you to leave SmartassV2 governor in there? A lot of people (myself included) use it along with a 480Mhz Min setting and have really good results with it.

I am aware that you and whyzor recommend Interactive/122. Personally I have not had good results with that in the past -- it was particularly bad when streaming high bitrate Pandora on 3G with screen off. Admittedly, that was on the originial Interactive governor, not your new one :eek:

But I do remember back then your results were different for some reason, even on the original Interactive. I guess phones are different and we all use them in different ways. One size doesn't always fit all. For my part, I would just like to keep the the CPU/governor setup I have now, since it works so well for me.

I can keep smartassV2 but only if you test the updated interactive governor (with 480 minimum if you want) and post your feedback. Otherwise, I don't want to keep idle code in the kernel without a good reason.

Edit: BTW, I have no problem with Pandora on 3G with interactive governor (not interactiveX) when screen is off and using 122 minimum.

Last edited:

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

I can keep smartassV2 but only if you test the updated interactive governor (with 480 minimum if you want) and post your feedback. Otherwise, I don't want to keep idle code in the kernel without a good reason.

Thank you, sir, that's fair. I'll find some time -- hopefully tonight. Ideally this test requires driving around in town, in order to force tower changes while streaming. Don't know if I'll get to that today, but I'll try.

Still, I know many others use SmartassV2 as well, including among Harmonia 2 users, since LeslieAnn resommends it. I am sure you wouldn't (and shouldn't) be keeping it just for me!

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

Edit: BTW, I have no problem with Pandora on 3G with interactive governor (not interactiveX) when screen is off and using 122 minimum.

I know, I remember that from last time we had that discussion. Please see the update to my earlier post: What kind of connection quality do you have in your area? It affects this. Also, are you testing Pandora with high bitrate setting?

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

Thank you, sir, that's fair. I'll find some time -- hopefully tonight. Ideally this test requires driving around in town, in order to force tower changes while streaming. Don't know if I'll get to that today, but I'll try.

Still, I know many others use SmartassV2 as well, including among Harmonia 2 users, since LeslieAnn resommends it. I am sure you wouldn't (and shouldn't) be keeping it just for me!

We have time don't worry. And don't waste gas just for testing.

I know, I remember that from last time we had that discussion. Please see the update to my earlier post: What kind of connection quality do you have in your area? It affects this. Also, are you testing Pandora with high bitrate setting?

I use the "higher quality audio" setting which has warning about the sound skipping. The connection quality is -94 dBm which is pretty bad. There are no skips. I am listening Mark Knopfler right now. He is amazing :)

Dannemand, you are a good reason to keep Smartass V2. Let me know, I will keep it if you say you need it. But I am hoping that you will approve it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dannemand

Dannemand

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

I use the "higher quality audio" setting which has warning about the sound skipping. The connection quality is -94 dBm which is pretty bad. There are no skips. I am listening Mark Knopfler right now. He is amazing :)

Dannemand, you are a good reason to keep Smartass V2. Let me know, I will keep it if you say you need it.

Thank you, very nice of you!

I promise I'll test this and give you feedback. Maybe whatever I found back then doesn't apply anymore, both with the updates you made to Interactive and with me now being on ZV9 and an updated PRL (I was on stock PRL back then).

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

Thank you, very nice of you!

I promise I'll test this and give you feedback. Maybe whatever I found back then doesn't apply anymore, both with the updates you made to Interactive and with me now being on ZV9 and an updated PRL (I was on stock PRL back then).

Not only the governor, there are many other major updates in the kernel since then.

rebel69ization

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Not interactiveX, please test and use the updated interactive governor. I will be removing interactiveX and smartass in the next build since they are based on the old interactive governor. This will reduce kernel size and eliminate idle code.

Interactive engaged, will report after work

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon