[ROM+Kernel] MiRaGe-CM7.2-IHO (07132013)

bjzapp

Where did u hear tht word
Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: [ROM+Kernel] MiRaGe-CM7.2-IHO

This has nothing to do with the ROM itself, but have a question and this is what I'm using---
Has anyone encountered problems with any of the File explorer apps from play either acting glitchy or FC'ing? I originally had and restored the File Expert app, then tried ES File explorer app. Both, when using, encountered problems. As you scroll and try to select items, the screen/program jumps/shakes/studders...whatever you want to call it.
But the stock Explorer/manager is fine.
Ideas or similar problems for anyone?
Thx

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the update, I'll be downloading and flashing it tomorrow (no service right now). Unfortunately, it looks like it may be my last one, I'm getting the One V in two weeks. Once again, I want to thank you for all the hard work and effort you have put into this rom and kernel. I have used this rom almost exclusively since last year and love the performance and slimness. I've tried a few others, but always came back due to features not working or being to heavily customized.

I'll be keeping my OV as a backup phone, and will still drop in occasionally to check up on things. Once again, thanks and keep up the great work.

Reactions: mrg666

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the update, I'll be downloading and flashing it tomorrow (no service right now). Unfortunately, it looks like it may be my last one, I'm getting the One V in two weeks. Once again, I want to thank you for all the hard work and effort you have put into this rom and kernel. I have used this rom almost exclusively since last year and love the performance and slimness. I've tried a few others, but always came back due to features not working or being to heavily customized.

I'll be keeping my OV as a backup phone, and will still drop in occasionally to check up on things. Once again, thanks and keep up the great work.

Enjoy your new phone and thanks for the nice comments.

AmbientMix

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Does this patch apply to the standalone kernel downloads? Or only to the full ROM packages? If only to the full ROM packages, does it apply to 07162012 too?

BTW, thanks for the good work on both ROM and kernel. :)

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Does this patch apply to the standalone kernel downloads? Or only to the full ROM packages? If only to the full ROM packages, does it apply to 07162012 too?

BTW, thanks for the good work on both ROM and kernel. :)

It is not a patch for kernel, supposed to be used only with 07272012 build of MiRaGe. Regarding other ROMs, I can only answer your question for mine since I don't know any other build for OV that has the required KSM support in the kernel and dalvik-vm. And this is for testing at the moment, based on the feedback and my testing, it will be either added as default or kept as an option in the next build.

Last edited:

tli

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site

Same here, not sure if it's KSM, but I noticed the phone seems to lag a bit more than before at times. I also had one lock-up, requiring battery removal, which I'd not experienced with the previous two builds (0707 & 0716). No new apps, nor any setting change on the phone, might've been a fluke but will continue to monitor...

HurrrDurrrDURP

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site

Same here, not sure if it's KSM, but I noticed the phone seems to lag a bit more than before at times. I also had one lock-up, requiring battery removal, which I'd not experienced with the previous two builds (0707 & 0716). No new apps, nor any setting change on the phone, might've been a fluke but will continue to monitor...

KSM in the kernel seemed to boost my performance, but in the Dalvik VM I think its slowing it down :/

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the feedback so far. Let's keep testing and reporting until the next build.

Following is another patch file to flash in the recovery that will revert the KSM patch and turn off KSM service. It can be useful for the ones who want to go back and forth.
VM670_revert_ksm_patch_07272012_MiRaGe.zip

Also, here are some hints.

You can check the values in the following text files to make sure KSM is running. You can use a root file explorer or use command
Code:
[FONT="Courier New"]cat [I]filename[/I]
[/FONT]
in the terminal. Replace filename in the command line with the given filenames below.

/sys/kernel/mm/ksm/run
/sys/kernel/mm/ksm/pages_shared
/sys/kernel/mm/ksm/pages_sharing
/sys/kernel/mm/ksm/full_scans

All of the above values should be >0 if KSM is running, they are 0 (zero) if KSM is not running.

Here are my preliminary testing results so far:
- I have not seen any difference in the performance of usage and benchmarks.
- There is a period of time after the reboot for the system to reach a steady state. This period is little longer with KSM service running.
- The battery use in the idle state is about 0.5-1% per hour more compared to the system without KSM. This is understandable since KSM has its own CPU overhead scanning the memory pages and this is done especially at the idle state.
- The battery use during normal usage is about 0.5-1% per hour less compared to the system without KSM. This is also understandable since memory savings cause less work for the android lowmemorykiller.

So, KSM seems to have no noticeable effect overall on Android, at least based on my usage scenario. It seems that this will not be a default setting in the next build unless some of you post different testing results or I find something that will change the preliminary observations above. But in any case I will keep it as an option because I like to have it as a geek trophy :) Plus there are some tunable parameters available if you check the other files in /sys/kernel/mm/ksm which we can use to tweak the system. I have not touched those yet.

Last edited:

HurrrDurrrDURP

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the feedback so far. Let's keep testing and reporting until the next build.

Following is another patch file to flash in the recovery that will revert the KSM patch and turn off KSM service. It can be useful for the ones who want to go back and forth.
VM670_revert_ksm_patch_07272012_MiRaGe.zip

Also, here are some hints.

You can check the values in the following text files to make sure KSM is running. You can use a root file explorer or use command
Code:
[FONT="Courier New"]cat [I]filename[/I]
[/FONT]
in the terminal. Replace filename in the command line with the given filenames below.

/sys/kernel/mm/ksm/run
/sys/kernel/mm/ksm/pages_shared
/sys/kernel/mm/ksm/pages_sharing
/sys/kernel/mm/ksm/full_scans

All of the above values should be >0 if KSM is running, they are 0 (zero) if KSM is not running.

Here are my preliminary testing results so far:
- I have not seen any difference in the performance of usage and benchmarks.
- There is a period of time after the reboot for the system to reach a steady state. This period is little longer with KSM service running.
- The battery use in the idle state is about 0.5-1% per hour more compared to the system without KSM. This is understandable since KSM has its own CPU overhead scanning the memory pages and this is done especially at the idle state.
- The battery use during normal usage is about 0.5-1% per hour less compared to the system without KSM. This is also understandable since memory savings cause less work for the android lowmemorykiller.

So, KSM seems to have no noticeable effect overall on Android, at least based on my usage scenario. It seems that this will not be a default setting in the next build unless some of you post different testing results or I find something that will change the preliminary observations above. But in any case I will keep it as an option because I like to have it as a geek trophy :) Plus there are some tunable parameters available if you check the other files in /sys/kernel/mm/ksm which we can use to tweak the system. I have not touched those yet.

Oh fun, something to do today! :p. I'll play around with it a bit and give you some feedback when I can mrg.

And I agree with you when removing KSM from the Dalvik VM. I think the dalvik wouldn't need a KSM because it has built in garbage collection, and if im not mystaken I think garbage collection in the Dalvik VM takes care of extra copies of files. In the kernel I can see KSM being a GREAT idea because it would help assist the kernel in memory management, but the Dalvik VM should be able to take care of itself on its own using its own built in Garbage collection :)

Also I just read from this site(The site linked on your OP) that KSM shouldn't be used in any virtual machines, Does this include the Dalvik VM or we just talking about full on architecture emulators?

Last edited:

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

Oh fun, something to do today! :p. I'll play around with it a bit and give you some feedback when I can mrg.

And I agree with you when removing KSM from the Dalvik VM. I think the dalvik wouldn't need a KSM because it has built in garbage collection, and if im not mystaken I think garbage collection in the Dalvik VM takes care of extra copies of files. In the kernel I can see KSM being a GREAT idea because it would help assist the kernel in memory management, but the Dalvik VM should be able to take care of itself on its own using its own built in Garbage collection :)

Dalvik garbage collection is for reclaiming the unclaimed locations in the memory. It scans the memory for unclaimed locations, makes them available again (reclaim), and then compacts the memory. See this link for example.

On the other hand, KSM in the kernel scans the claimed memory locations, compares the content, and merges the memory locations with the same content. See this link for example.

AFAIK, these two are doing different tasks and they are complementary to each other. Please check the links and correct me if I am wrong :)

HurrrDurrrDURP

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site

Dalvik garbage collection is for reclaiming the unclaimed locations in the memory. It scans the memory for unclaimed locations, makes them available again (reclaim), and then compacts the memory. See this link for example.

On the other hand, KSM in the kernel scans the claimed memory locations, compares the content, and merges the memory locations with the same content. See this link for example.

This is what I know. Please check the links and correct me if I am wrong :)

Thats why im thinking its horrible for the Dalvik VM, the extra processes for a compare and merge when it needs to work in a virtual architecture. It would heavily effect the physical CPU. While the kernel on the other hand is working with "real" memory, so really I think its just heavy Overhead in the CPU due to the Dalvik VM.

btw thanks for the links, I'm still intro to Computer Sci so this will be a good read!

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Thats why im thinking its horrible for the Dalvik VM, the extra processes for a compare and merge when it needs to work in a virtual architecture. It would heavily effect the physical CPU. While the kernel on the other hand is working with "real" memory, so really I think its just heavy Overhead in the CPU due to the Dalvik VM.

btw thanks for the links, I'm still intro to Computer Sci so this will be a good read!

Yeah but isn't it a pay now or pay later thing? Like if it didn't do a garbage collection it would be akin to your hard drive getting fragmented and then the CPU has to work hard anyway trying to find space for new data. Am I completely wrong?

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

KSM is certainly additional work for the CPU. But it is even more costly to use the lowmemorykiller to kill apps for opening free memory and restart those killed apps when needed. If there is always enough memory (yeah right) and lowmemorykiller is not working hard, sure ksm is not really necessary. We are testing this now.

Isn't Android so much fun? The only fun iPhone people can have is jailbreaking and they call it hacking. :cool:

Yeah but isn't it a pay now or pay later thing? Like if it didn't do a garbage collection it would be akin to your hard drive getting fragmented and then the CPU has to work hard anyway trying to find space for new data. Am I completely wrong?

Garbage collection in Dalvik VM is essential. Without it, the system just can't continue running after some time. But KSM is optional and we are only playing with it now.

Last edited:
Reactions: mlson

HurrrDurrrDURP

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site

Your have the right idea, your thinking about swap space when the computer runs out of Real memory(RAM).

But with garbage collection an app(In this case the Dalvik VM itself!), frees up memory once it(The app) goes through a cycle(Look up CPU piplines in wiki if ur curious). So it does it on the fly, my argument is that have 2 types of garbage collection(KSM and Actual Dalvik Garbage collection) might actually be to much for the CPU; As one is search, merge, store, and possibly delete(KSM) and the other search, clear(Garbage collection in Dalvik VM). Having both running isn't efficient in my opinion(Course I'm used to using C/C++ so I have a small back ground in having an automated memory cleaner).

KSM is certainly additional work for the CPU. But it is even more costly to use the lowmemorykiller to kill apps for opening free memory and restart those killed apps when needed. If there is always enough memory (yeah right) and lowmemorykiller is not working hard, sure ksm is not really necessary. We are testing this now.

Isn't Android so much fun? The only fun iPhone people can have is jailbreaking and they call it hacking .

See above to see what im talking about :p

Also... COULD NOT AGREE MORE mrg!

Open Source == Creativity
Open Source == Freedom
Open Source == POWER!

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

A hard working lowmemorykiller also makes the garbage collector work more. That is why I think KSM is a cool feature to have since it (supposedly) helps the other two work less. There is of course an intersection of the two load curves and I am not sure on which side we are. :p But as long as I don't get instability, I will keep it running on my phone to feel even geekier :)