[ROM+Kernel] MiRaGe-CM7.2-IHO (07132013)

yaconsult

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: You really need link2sd on this phone

Yes, often the best solution is to start fresh. Save anything you need, then wipe EVERYTHING - internal and external. Create new partitions and format them - I used ext4. And leave a nice big partition for link2sd to use - I split my 8 GB sdcard into half FAT and half EXT4. Install the rom. Install link2sd as one of the first applications. Again, check the beginning of this thread for recommended settings to have link2sd automatically move everything that can be moved to external storage. When you get everything working the way you like, do a full backup. MRG666 has produced the best performing, most functional ROM for this phone and for that, we thank him!
Link to Link2SD frequently asked questions.

Well, I installed MarketFix, started it, and clicked the button to have it do its magic. I then went to the Market and tried updating apps, but they failed just like before.

I watched my free space using "adb shell" while installing updates and indeed the cache partition gets to 100% utilized which triggers the "package file invalid" error. Not sure why MarketFix didn't work for me. (I even tried enabling it a second time, rebooting, etc.)

I also didn't have luck with Link2SD and having it try to relocate the cache partition to SD card. Maybe I need to completely wipe this phone and start over....something may be screwed up somewhere....

Last edited:

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
You don't need such a large partition. A 1.5GB partition is optimal for both Link2SD and the system. Notice I said "system" as well. Too big a partition is hard on the system.
You will also cause your SD card to fail way sooner than it should.

Rule of thumb: You should not use more than 20% of the actual user space on the SD card for the partition.

I have been using Link2SD with a 16GB Sandisk class 4 micro SD card (The fastest read speeds of any class or manufacture at 40MB/s)
With MiRaGe ROM apps open in a blink of an eye.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

codyahiggins

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Is there any way to access the service menu without having to go back to stock. Or has it been taken out? I have reasons for needing it. I'm not on the latest version of this ROM, I'm on the version before it

...I Lost The Game...

yaconsult

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Interesting - so you say that having 4 gb fat and 4 gb ext4 partitions on my 8 gb class 10 memory card is not optimal? You have 1.5 mb fat and 1.5 mb ext? What do you do with all the extra space on your 16 gb card? Can you me where the optimal calculations come from so I can do some research?

You don't need such a large partition. A 1.5MB partition is optimal for both Link2SD and the system. Notice I said "system" as well. Too big a partition is hard on the system.
You will also cause your SD card to fail way sooner than it should.

Rule of thumb: You should not use more than 20% of the actual user space on the SD card for the partition.

I have been using Link2SD with a 16GB Sandisk class 4 micro SD card (The fastest read speeds of any class or manufacture at 40MB/s)
With MiRaGe ROM apps open in a blink of an eye.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using AC Forums mobile app

upconvert

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Interesting - so you say that having 4 gb fat and 4 gb ext4 partitions on my 8 gb class 10 memory card is not optimal? You have 1.5 mb fat and 1.5 mb ext? What do you do with all the extra space on your 16 gb card? Can you me where the optimal calculations come from so I can do some research?

He meant 1.5 gb.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for catching my serious typo upconvert.
yaconsult: What I usually do is partition the sd card with the recovery. I choose for it to make a 1.5GB partition on my 16GB class 4 sd card. The recovery formats the partition to ext.3, but most GB, ICS, and JB ROMs do best with an ext.4 formatted partition. I change the format using either Mini Tool Partition Wizard in Windows or Gparted in Linux.
This just makes it easier for the phone to recognize the newly partitioned and formatted sd card.
The primary large partition is the FAT32 partition which is still used for storage by the phone. The ext.4 partition is used just for Link2SD or any ROM with a SD ext script.

PS: I have noticed that with 90 something apps linked to the ext.4 partition with Link2SD that it only used less than 600MB of space. I have trimmed down my apps to just 69 linked apps (I had a few that never got used), so just recently I'm seeing if a 1GB partition will work just as good with Link2SD (the smaller the partition, the better it is for the phone).

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
PS: I have noticed that with 90 something apps linked to the ext.4 partition with Link2SD that it only used less than 600MB of space. I have trimmed down my apps to just 69 linked apps (I had a few that never got used), so just recently I'm seeing if a 1GB partition will work just as good with Link2SD (the smaller the partition, the better it is for the phone).

The 1GB partition should work for what you need; this is exactly the size of my ext4 partition. I don't have as many linked apps as you do. I move any program that Link2SD indicates with the SD card symbol to the storage partition (29 GB for me on a 32 GB SD card). I've found that a balanced combination of linked apps + apps that can be moved to SD helps with keeping more system RAM clear for programs to use.

jamoosh

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
On a similar note to the previous post, I just swapped out my 32GB card for a 2GB card. I don't need that much space, and I thought that smaller might be a little faster. Also, I wanted my 32GB for my MP3 player-but that's a little irrelevant.
Anyway, I formatted the 2GB to roughly the following, 768MB Fat32 partition, 768MB Ext4 partition, and the leftover ~256MB for cache/swap. I copied the stuff from the old 32GB card to the appropriate partitions and directories in the 2GB SD and put it in the phone and powered it on, then went into Link2SD and ran Link2SD, Recreate mount scripts and Relink application files, and so on.

For the most part it seems to be working normally, however I cannot install applications from the Play Store. My Gmail and Voice apps were gone, so I tried to reinstall them. Voice I was able to sideload, but most other applications give me some errors, the following is the market error that I receive:

"Gmail could not be downloaded due to an error (498)"

It seems like the programs are not linking or accessing the Ext partition appropriately. Perhaps, there is something that I configured incorrectly.
Did I miss a step in setting up the SD card?
Are the partitions too small to work properly?

Finally, thanks to the developer for this ROM and to the helpful people in these forums!

Edit:
I just wanted to provide the current storage information, as it is likely relevant.
Storage: Used/Total/Free
Internal: 53/179/126
SD Card: 447/766/320
SDCard 2nd: 61/878/816
System: 97.43/164/67.07

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Link2SD needs at least a 1GB partition to work properly.
The problem with your 2GB SD is as follows.
First: Read speed is not dependent on the size of the SD card or it's class designation (just used for write speed). Read speed is the most important for allowing your apps to be read quicker thus opening quicker, and performing better.
Read speed is a product of the SD card manufacturer and the android device. The Sandisk class 4 micro SD cards seems to have the highest read speeds with our V's (my 16GB,new, tested out at 40MB/s read speed).
Second: You should never use more than 20% of the actual available space on the SD card for the partition. It will eventually cause the SD card to prematurely fail before it's time.

Get an 8GB Sandisk class 4 from WalMart. They can be had for about $10.00. Make the partition 1GB and format to ext.4.

jamoosh

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi, Thanks so much for the detailed response.
I've got an 8GB SDHC around somewhere. I can use that, I think.
Thanks again for all of the information.

Edit: By the way, based on your information, I decided to swap back to the 32GB SDHC for now, I ran the Ext4 script again, but I continue to receive the same error when trying to download from the Play Store. Everything seems to be correctly configured. This is peculiar to me. I tried to run Fix Permissions application as well, as I could not find the option in my recovery. I'm not sure what else to do. Do you think I should just re-flash the ROM, or is there some other easier step that might solve the problem?

Thanks again.

Last edited:

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
To safely run the fix permissions option it needs to done in a terminal.
Code:
fix_permissions

I hate to say it but you might have to reformat both the FAT32 partition and the ext.4 partition.
You can do this with Mini Tool Partition Wizard.
Unmount the SD card and put into the computer.
Open Mini Tool Partition Wizard.
Just left click the partition then select to delete. Click on the apply arrow. Left click the same partition and then select to create a new partition.
For the FAT32 pick Primary and FAT32
For the ext.4 pick Primary and ext.4
Click on the apply arrow.
In task bar of computer select the safely remove device Icon. Select the drive letter of your SD card. When it says safe to remove, remove.
Put back into phone and let it remount the SD card, then unmount and put back into computer. Transfer saved data back to the SD card.

Note: It is always better to unmount/mount sd card than to pull/replace with power off. It is always better to use the Icon in the task bar of the computer than to just pull the SD card. This will keep the SD card from becoming corrupt.

You might also have to flash the ROM and Gapps again.

Last edited:

brendonla

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to post for any folks coming here with LG Optimus V's that this is a VERY STABLE ROM - a lot of thought and care went into this. Just put Mirage on a phone that was acting very strange and after a complete wipe, did an install and absolutely no problems. I have the IHO ROM on another LG Optimus V, but I really like Mirage better - just might put it on the other phone. Thank you!

drwtsn32

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Just wanted to post for any folks coming here with LG Optimus V's that this is a VERY STABLE ROM - a lot of thought and care went into this. Just put Mirage on a phone that was acting very strange and after a complete wipe, did an install and absolutely no problems. I have the IHO ROM on another LG Optimus V, but I really like Mirage better - just might put it on the other phone. Thank you!
YES....I love this ROM! The only main issue I have is with Bluetooth.... when it is enabled, the battery drains like mad. Other than that it's great!

jamoosh

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks again for all of the information.
To answer the question about the partition sizes, the 32GB SDHC is as follows:
1-30GBFat32
2-1.5GBExt4
3-260MB Swap
Initially, I used Gparted in linux to partition the card. Perhaps this is an issue. I will keep fooling around with it until it's figured out.
This is a great ROM, any issues encountered here are user specific.

Thanks again.

To safely run the fix permissions option it needs to done in a terminal.
Code:
fix_permissions

I hate to say it but you might have to reformat both the FAT32 partition and the ext.4 partition.
You can do this with Mini Tool Partition Wizard.
Unmount the SD card and put into the computer.
Open Mini Tool Partition Wizard.
Just left click the partition then select to delete. Click on the apply arrow. Left click the same partition and then select to create a new partition.
For the FAT32 pick Primary and FAT32
For the ext.4 pick Primary and ext.4
Click on the apply arrow.
In task bar of computer select the safely remove device Icon. Select the drive letter of your SD card. When it says safe to remove, remove.
Put back into phone and let it remount the SD card, then unmount and put back into computer. Transfer saved data back to the SD card.

Note: It is always better to unmount/mount sd card than to pull/replace with power off. It is always better to use the Icon in the task bar of the computer than to just pull the SD card. This will keep the SD card from becoming corrupt.

You might also have to flash the ROM and Gapps again.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
No need for a swap partition. No need unless you are running Swapper 2 which is quite harmful in the hands of someone with limited experience. Can mess up an SD card in a heart beat.

Last edited:

jamoosh

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
No need for a swap partition. No need unless you are running Swapper 2 which is quite harmful in the hands of someone with limited experience. Can mess up an SD card in a heart beat.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, I will heed your warning.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2