Sorry if these threads happen a lot, but I couldn't find any. But I am really new to all of this and am taken away by how involved this stuff is. It is soooo cool Anyways, I have the Optimus V, and was wondering about the whole rooting and roming (is that the correct term?) process. Since I am out of school for summer, I have lots of time to mess with these electronic things, so I thought I would like to modify my phone. However, I have quite a few questions.

First, when rooting a phone, what exactly is the process? I'm looking for either a source with all the steps clearly written, or somebody who could help me out with directions. Is Gingerbreak what everybody uses, even if they dont plan on using Gingerbread? I think what I would like to try running first is Harmonia. It sounds simple, yet can go as far as I would like to take it.

Second, I am very confused about Roms and Recoveries. My first question is how do you make a backup? Please excuse my novice questions, I am quite new to this. What I mean is what do you do? Is there some guide that could help me with this? I again could not find one. Where do you save this backup? Your computer? Also, what exactly is a recovery? Maybe someone could point me towards some online manual that explains like roms and recoveries? I hate to be asking all these beginner questions, because I am sure you guys hear these all the time.

Third, I see quite often people will say put this file in a /sdcard or whatever-the-name-might-be file. How would you make one of those? Because I am pretty sure that I don't have a lot of these files on my sd card.

Fourth, I assume that all these downloading, flashing, etc procedures are done while your phone is connected to your computer, correct? Or do you remove the card and just put that in your computer?

Fifth, where can I find information on what terms like flashin or even rom mean? or the hashtag mark (#)? Im assuming hashtags are commands?

I suppose that will be all I ask for now, as Im sure a lot of the other questions I have will get answered by gaining knowledge about the topics I have posted. Again, please excuse my lack of any knowledge of what seems common knowledge around here, as I am quite new to all of this. But I do know that you never press the factory reset, lol so I guess I know something
    06-12-2012 08:23 PM
    Not to be rude in ANY way but.....since you have the time now---there are [HL]many[/HL] appropriate threads in the Hacks/Rooting/ROMS section as well as all the stickies to help you accomplish this process.
    Seems ridickulous to start ANOTHER post just for this....?

:roll:
    inceyet likes this.
    06-12-2012 08:37 PM
    Not to be rude in ANY way but.....since you have the time now---there are [HL]many[/HL] appropriate threads in the Hacks/Rooting/ROMS section as well as all the stickies to help you accomplish this process.
    Seems ridickulous to start ANOTHER post just for this....?

:roll:
    I agree. Took me literally 5 seconds to find this thread answering all your questions:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho...d.php?t=156548
    06-12-2012 08:40 PM
    Thank you for your input, and I dont feel you are being rude at all, but I did already read that sticky and still felt confused after that. I guess I will read it again. In the geberal hacking/rooting forum, will that information about rooting and such still be applicable to my phone?
    06-12-2012 08:43 PM
    Thank you for your input, and I dont feel you are being rude at all, but I did already read that sticky and still felt confused after that. I guess I will read it again. In the geberal hacking/rooting forum, will that information about rooting and such still be applicable to my phone?
    Yes... as long as you're in the VM Optimus forum. This stuff is dedicated and developed for our phone model.
    May have to watch though if you have a phone with or without the ZV9 update.
    You can find that in the settings under About Phone
    06-12-2012 09:05 PM
    If it's just general information such as explaining exactly what root is/does then yes For exact rooting methods and roms stick to the forum meant for your phone.

And we don't mean to be so short with you, it's just that most people don't even bother looking for information, they just expect to have their hands held and walked through each and every step instead of taking a little time to read...
    bjzapp likes this.
    06-12-2012 09:07 PM
    If it's just general information such as explaining exactly what root is/does then yes For exact rooting methods and roms stick to the forum meant for your phone.

And we don't mean to be so short with you, it's just that most people don't even bother looking for information, they just expect to have their hands held and walked through each and every step instead of taking a little time to read...
    Oh alright, then I will check that forum out. and it is okay, I can understand. On forums I have been part of for a long time about things I know about like r/c trucks, I would get annoyed with the beginners as well, so I understand
    06-12-2012 09:10 PM
    Wow we are totally in agreement! Is there a way to PM you on here? idk..wanna know you
    06-12-2012 09:23 PM
    Oh alright, then I will check that forum out. and it is okay, I can understand. On forums I have been part of for a long time about things I know about like r/c trucks, I would get annoyed with the beginners as well, so I understand
    On the other hand, I don't want you to not understand something and mess up your phone, so if after searching and reading if you're still confused, please don't be afraid to ask. There are tons of helpful people here
    inceyet likes this.
    06-12-2012 11:14 PM
    On the other hand, I don't want you to not understand something and mess up your phone, so if after searching and reading if you're still confused, please don't be afraid to ask. There are tons of helpful people here
    Will do sir
    06-13-2012 07:23 AM
    Well, I finally did it guys Just an hour ago I flashed BACKside IHO ROM which is CM7.2, and flashed a Clockwork MOD recovery (I believe it was clockwork mod, I don't know how to check.) After I play with this for a week or two, I am definately going to start trying the cool things like ICS and Harmonia, etc. I just took this one as the guide seemed simple and straightforward. I used the sticky about simple rooting, recovery, and custom rom
    06-20-2012 09:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD