Hey everyone, was wondering if it was worth flashing this update yet. I've looked through the threads to see the amount of work needed to update the phone, and wondered if someone could fill me in on an easier way, or if it is even worth the time.

Thanks!
    06-13-2012 12:53 AM
    There's only one known way to flash the radio, and that's using the full update from Virgin. Other methods (including Leslie's now-removed ZV9 update) have been proven to not actually flash the radio. So in short, there's no shortcut.

As for if it's worth it, that really depends on a lot of factors, most of which are impossible to know unless you work for Sprint (and maybe not even then!). People have reported the full range from large improvements to actual reductions in signal strength. And you can't flash back ZV4/ZV5, so ultimately you're taking a gamble. If you have terrible signal, it might very well be worth it. If it's already decent, it might not be such a good idea.
    cole2kb likes this.
    06-13-2012 01:06 AM
    Someone said they used Sprint firmware to revert to an old baseband, but I'm fairly certain it's a messy and scary process.

There have been a few users saying that Virgin pulled the update due to some problems it was causing, borking 3G and the like. However, we, as users have not been informed of this via any sort of communication from Virgin, which we would have been, and it seems just as likely that the update is not available from them anymore because the phone isn't either.

So, basically, the update is totally YMMV. If your signal strength is good, I wouldn't bother. The only other reason to flash it is some users are reporting improved performance on the ICS ROMs after the update, but this has not been researched at all.

As far as the process, it's actually really simple. There's just a lot of steps. If you decide to do it and need some help, feel free to let us know.
    06-13-2012 02:08 AM
    I found that the process wasn't too terribly complicated, but was worth it if for no reason other than the fact that Quattrimus appears to be much more stable for me as a result. I thought that JerryScript's write-up was good and easy to follow, but I don't know if everybody's experience is like mine.

What I did can be briefly summed up as followsthough it is important to note that my summary is brief for the sake of getting a general idea of its scope and steps, and may be compromised by sleep-deprivation and poor memory. Reading and following JerryScript's detailed instructions should be considered mandatory.

0. make sure you're using BobZHome's recovery
    1. put update.zip (zv9), jcase_rootme.zip, and VM670NH_recovery.img (BobZHome's recovery) in your /sdcard folder
    2. boot to recovery
    3. nandroid backup
    4. flash zv9 update
    5. boot to your shiny, new stock froyo, double check that the baseband has, in fact, been upgraded
    6. follow the slightly complicated instructions to re-root and install BobZHome's recovery (copy and paste commands if you feel nervous)
    7. nandroid restore (or flash anew, whichever you prefer)

I think it took me about an hour, if you count a few needless reboots and having a little fun playing around with my stock ROM for a few minutes. Am I missing anything?
    06-13-2012 03:24 AM
    0. make sure you're using BobZHome's recovery
    1. put update.zip (zv9), jcase_rootme.zip, and VM670NH_recovery.img (BobZHome's recovery) in your /sdcard folder
    2. boot to recovery
    3. nandroid backup
    4. flash zv9 update
    5. boot to your shiny, new stock froyo, double check that the baseband has, in fact, been upgraded
    5a. -- power down your phone. hold home, volume down, and power, and release when LG logo appears. re-flash the update.zip
    6. follow the slightly complicated instructions to re-root and install BobZHome's recovery (copy and paste commands if you feel nervous)
    7. nandroid restore (or flash anew, whichever you prefer)
    . Am I missing anything?
    Added a step in bold. You have to flash the update.zip twice, once from custom recovery and again from stock, as custom recoveries can't flash the radio.
    06-13-2012 03:41 AM
    Weird! Maybe I did it wrong, then? Or did I just get lucky?
    06-13-2012 03:59 AM
    Hey everyone, was wondering if it was worth flashing this update yet. I've looked through the threads to see the amount of work needed to update the phone, and wondered if someone could fill me in on an easier way, or if it is even worth the time.

Thanks!
    It was definately worth it for me, I get better service etc

sent from my icy cold optimus using inverted T.T.2
    06-13-2012 04:37 AM
    I het better reception, and no problems. ICS roms however do work with no problem now.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
    06-13-2012 06:18 AM
    if i were to guess i'd say they must have got a bunch of complaint reports from people on custom roms before the source was released.... on the older kernels people would get random reboots when texting as well as sms lagg and messages coming ketchup style. i've had no issues with it since the new kernel i didnt get lucky enough to have improved signal from it but i didnt loose anything either.

Someone said they used Sprint firmware to revert to an old baseband, but I'm fairly certain it's a messy and scary process.

There have been a few users saying that Virgin pulled the update due to some problems it was causing, borking 3G and the like. However, we, as users have not been informed of this via any sort of communication from Virgin, which we would have been, and it seems just as likely that the update is not available from them anymore because the phone isn't either.

So, basically, the update is totally YMMV. If your signal strength is good, I wouldn't bother. The only other reason to flash it is some users are reporting improved performance on the ICS ROMs after the update, but this has not been researched at all.

As far as the process, it's actually really simple. There's just a lot of steps. If you decide to do it and need some help, feel free to let us know.
    06-13-2012 08:00 AM
    If you can follow directions, its worth trying, it didn't help me any though. If you do it right, there is really no harm.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
    06-13-2012 08:32 AM
    In short, no, its not worth it, theres no improvement in anything, no body could prove that this update improved anything, and this update only created problems for so many users, including bricking phones with some recoveries.

Not worth it, at all.
    06-13-2012 02:59 PM
    it helped in my case. the signal before was fairly weak but it improved after update.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums
    06-13-2012 03:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD