07-19-2012 07:37 PM
174 12345 ...
tools
    I just read that Jellybean source is promised in July.
    Delicious. If none of you have watched the promo vid for project butter go watch it. Its a pretty drastic difference between ICS and JB.
    06-29-2012 05:30 AM
    There are both ICS really. Jellybean is really just a refinement of ICS so everything will port over very fast.
    I think you may be underestimating the challenges to porting that can be created by updating the kernel, toolchain, and making some refinements to the base system and user interface. How long has ICS been out, and we still don't have a rock-stable, fully-featured ICS rom for our OVs? I hope you're right, but we should perhaps be careful not to get too demanding of our shrinking pool of devs*, much less our little old phones with their slow, single processors and small screens.

* Our phones are [being] discontinued, and people with the means to do so are slowly migrating to new phones as their current phones age or even stop working.
    06-29-2012 06:06 PM
    I get hungry when I think about android >_<
    dzdzjb likes this.
    06-29-2012 10:28 PM
    I think you may be underestimating the challenges to porting that can be created by updating the kernel, toolchain, and making some refinements to the base system and user interface. How long has ICS been out, and we still don't have a rock-stable, fully-featured ICS rom for our OVs? I hope you're right, but we should perhaps be careful not to get too demanding of our shrinking pool of devs*, much less our little old phones with their slow, single processors and small screens.

* Our phones are [being] discontinued, and people with the means to do so are slowly migrating to new phones as their current phones age or even stop working.
    It doesn't matter how long it takes for ICS, the same thing happened with CM7. -.-

Took along time for it to be perfect. So its NOT all about ICS.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
    06-30-2012 04:27 AM
    It doesn't matter how long it takes for ICS, the same thing happened with CM7. -.-

Took along time for it to be perfect. So its NOT all about ICS.

Even Cm7 still isn't perfect. Theres the headphone issue with calls and the lock ups from the rotation animation.
    06-30-2012 07:48 AM
    Even Cm7 still isn't perfect. Theres the headphone issue with calls and the lock ups from the rotation animation.
    OK this bothers me....... This is not cm7. This is not cm9. THIS IS JELLYBEAN!!!!!!!!!!

I don't care who u are this is an awesome song
    06-30-2012 07:56 AM
    OK this bothers me....... This is not cm7. This is not cm9. THIS IS JELLYBEAN!!!!!!!!!!

How does that make it any different than any other iteration . We just don't know enough about yet to judge whether or not it will be compatible with our phones.

06-30-2012 12:03 PM
    How does that make it any different than any other iteration . We just don't know enough about yet to judge whether or not it will be compatible with our phones.

Its bothers me cuz people act like its cm9 or cm7 and comparing it. It bothers me for some reason

06-30-2012 12:40 PM
    JB is basically ICS with a improved UI kinda like Gingerbread was like to Froyo
    06-30-2012 01:06 PM
    Its bothers me cuz people act like its cm9 or cm7 and comparing it. It bothers me for some reason

THIS bothers you? I'm sorry, but is new OS's all you care about? All your post seem to be comparing one thing to another or asking for something to be fixed.

You don't understand that CM9 isn't perfect yet, and like Anthony said, CM7 still isn't perfect. You should be happy that we even have this stuff. Show respect to the devs.

anthonycr and dzdzjb like this.
    06-30-2012 01:14 PM
    Hmmm porting Gnex JB to OV ICS.........what a challenge that will be...
    06-30-2012 02:28 PM
    Hmmm porting Gnex JB to OV ICS.........what a challenge that will be...
    well seeing as they are different OS's, it would be quite the challenge
    06-30-2012 02:46 PM
    Lol.
    sellers86 likes this.
    06-30-2012 02:48 PM
    And extremely risky at that

Sent from Oliver, Destroyer of Worlds & Connoisseur of Bean-Shaped Confections
    sellers86 likes this.
    06-30-2012 02:50 PM
    I had an idea about Jellybean. I understand that porting new OS's are difficult, and while JB looks great, it isn't a must-have for me. However, if a dev ever does attempt JB, what if they just port parts of it?

For example, Google Now is an app. What if we just ported Google Now to ICS or IHO? Would that be possible?

Again, I'm not asking for JB or any of it's features. Just an idea.
    06-30-2012 03:27 PM
    I had an idea about Jellybean. I understand that porting new OS's are difficult, and while JB looks great, it isn't a must-have for me. However, if a dev ever does attempt JB, what if they just port parts of it?

For example, Google Now is an app. What if we just ported Google Now to ICS or IHO? Would that be possible?

Again, I'm not asking for JB or any of it's features. Just an idea.
    Yeah that would possibly work.

I think that there is some confusion about porting versus building, let me clear it up for those who are confusing the two.

Porting is taking one rom and copying parts of it into another rom of the SAME level OS. Like porting miui 2.3 to gingerbread 2.3. You can't port 2.3 to 2.2 or 4 to 2.3 because they are different sdk levels. At most you can try copying apps between them but even that is likely to fail.

Building is starting with source code and making a level of android work on a phone that didn't before.

And anyone trying to make jellybean from a gnex work on our OVs.... good luck. Even if it boots you won't be able to see anything because its screen is four times the resolution of our phone
    sammyz likes this.
    06-30-2012 06:20 PM

I think that there is some confusion about porting versus building, let me clear it up for those who are confusing the two.

Porting is taking one rom and copying parts of it into another rom of the SAME level OS. Like porting miui 2.3 to gingerbread 2.3. You can't port 2.3 to 2.2 or 4 to 2.3 because they are different sdk levels. At most you can try copying apps between them but even that is likely to fail.

Building is starting with source code and making a level of android work on a phone that didn't before.

And anyone trying to make jellybean from a gnex work on our OVs.... good luck. Even if it boots you won't be able to see anything because its screen is four times the resolution of our phone
    Thank you for clearing this up...................................how many people ask me per day to port ICS on OV to OM......if I had a nickel for everytime someone asked me to port ICS, I'd have $1
    dmmarck and jonny5449 like this.
    06-30-2012 06:39 PM
    Thank you for clearing this up...................................how many people ask me per day to port ICS on OV to OM......if I had a nickel for everytime someone asked me to port ICS, I'd have $1
    Lol

dmmarck likes this.
    06-30-2012 07:03 PM
    Lol you just love talking about Metro PCS xD
    06-30-2012 07:19 PM

I dont think Google now will work with an ics rom. Isn't is specially made for JB. I mean its like using the phone.apk from ics on GB. It doesn't work. I think its the same with Google Now.
    06-30-2012 07:21 PM
    I dont think Google now will work with an ics rom. Isn't is specially made for JB. I mean its like using the phone.apk from ics on GB. It doesn't work. I think its the same with Google Now.
    It might, 4.1 is just an update to 4.0.......GB apps work on froyo ROMs.....
    06-30-2012 07:24 PM
    Lol you just love talking about Metro PCS xD
    Where was MetroPCS in my post?? I said ICS...
    06-30-2012 07:25 PM
    Where was MetroPCS in my post?? I said ICS...
    but you said OM. That's optimus m that metro PCS has. But lets not get off topic. There's already too many threads with that kind on nonsense
    06-30-2012 07:28 PM
    It might, 4.1 is just an update to 4.0.......GB apps work on froyo ROMs.....
    Welllllll nothing is impossible so I guess we can? Somehow?
    06-30-2012 07:29 PM
    That would be awesome if we could get JB working...
    07-09-2012 02:39 PM
174 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD