Jellybean thoughts

terthii

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I had an idea about Jellybean. I understand that porting new OS's are difficult, and while JB looks great, it isn't a must-have for me. However, if a dev ever does attempt JB, what if they just port parts of it?

For example, Google Now is an app. What if we just ported Google Now to ICS or IHO? Would that be possible?

Again, I'm not asking for JB or any of it's features. Just an idea. :cool:

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I had an idea about Jellybean. I understand that porting new OS's are difficult, and while JB looks great, it isn't a must-have for me. However, if a dev ever does attempt JB, what if they just port parts of it?

For example, Google Now is an app. What if we just ported Google Now to ICS or IHO? Would that be possible?

Again, I'm not asking for JB or any of it's features. Just an idea. :cool:

Yeah that would possibly work.

I think that there is some confusion about porting versus building, let me clear it up for those who are confusing the two.

Porting is taking one rom and copying parts of it into another rom of the SAME level OS. Like porting miui 2.3 to gingerbread 2.3. You can't port 2.3 to 2.2 or 4 to 2.3 because they are different sdk levels. At most you can try copying apps between them but even that is likely to fail.

Building is starting with source code and making a level of android work on a phone that didn't before.

And anyone trying to make jellybean from a gnex work on our OVs.... good luck. Even if it boots you won't be able to see anything because its screen is four times the resolution of our phone

Reactions: sammyz

sammyz

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site

I think that there is some confusion about porting versus building, let me clear it up for those who are confusing the two.

Porting is taking one rom and copying parts of it into another rom of the SAME level OS. Like porting miui 2.3 to gingerbread 2.3. You can't port 2.3 to 2.2 or 4 to 2.3 because they are different sdk levels. At most you can try copying apps between them but even that is likely to fail.

Building is starting with source code and making a level of android work on a phone that didn't before.

And anyone trying to make jellybean from a gnex work on our OVs.... good luck. Even if it boots you won't be able to see anything because its screen is four times the resolution of our phone

Thank you for clearing this up...................................how many people ask me per day to port ICS on OV to OM......if I had a nickel for everytime someone asked me to port ICS, I'd have $1

Reactions: jonny5449

ilikechicken123

May 4, 2012
Visit site

I dont think Google now will work with an ics rom. Isn't is specially made for JB. I mean its like using the phone.apk from ics on GB. It doesn't work. I think its the same with Google Now.

sammyz

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I dont think Google now will work with an ics rom. Isn't is specially made for JB. I mean its like using the phone.apk from ics on GB. It doesn't work. I think its the same with Google Now.

It might, 4.1 is just an update to 4.0.......GB apps work on froyo ROMs.....

K

kobequintana

Should there be a Jellybean Rom for the OV

Sent from my LG-VM670