01-05-2016 04:35 PM
2,975 ... 4142434445 ...
tools
    I've been pondering what to do about space issues in jb and one possible solution is to override the partition sizes in the kernel to give more space to system and less to data. This would make sdext pretty much mandatory. It would also require a matching recovery kernel. And it would mean a full wipe would be necessary when switching to/from other roms.

How many people don't use sdext and/or would not want to do this?
    Seems like a very feasible idea. I'm using sd-ext already so let me know if you need someone to test.

What kind of recovery kernel are you suggesting?

Sent from my Quattrimus ICS Optimus V
    07-22-2012 12:11 AM
    Seems like a very feasible idea. I'm using sd-ext already so let me know if you need someone to test.

What kind of recovery kernel are you suggesting?

Sent from my Quattrimus ICS Optimus V
    A recovery kernel with the same partition override.
    07-22-2012 12:14 AM
    Can't seem to get any themes to work for some reason...
    On the latest AOKP nightly. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong here. I reverted back to the system theme, rebooted, and then I always get a message saying that the theme was not "compiled correctly". I've tried 6 or 7 different themes all to the same effect.
    Any ideas?

EDIT: I tried setting my LCD density to hdpi and still nothing.
    07-22-2012 12:17 AM
    I've been pondering what to do about space issues in jb and one possible solution is to override the partition sizes in the kernel to give more space to system and less to data. This would make sdext pretty much mandatory. It would also require a matching recovery kernel. And it would mean a full wipe would be necessary when switching to/from other roms.

Is it really that big? I slimmed it to 87 mb... and I didn't slim down any apps. My advice would be remove all ringtones/notification tones except the default, and remove the boot animation(add them in separate files). 87 mb is only 3-4 mb bigger than my cna rom... and for the record, I don't use sd-ext and don't plan to. I don't install many apps. I have about 70mb of internal data storage after everything is installed.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
    skealoha86 likes this.
    07-22-2012 12:18 AM
    I don't feel that JB adds much to this old phone. For the sake of stability ICS should be the last OS version.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums
    07-22-2012 12:19 AM

SD next is the greatest thing ever

07-22-2012 12:32 AM
    I don't feel that JB adds much to this old phone. For the sake of stability ICS should be the last OS version.

The OV era should go on not end
    We will keep it going not end it
    I have a dream where OV's will live on and on an will keep advansing
    Thumb up if u agree lol

This Song Rocks:
    Forever Given Forever You
    By: Evanescence
    07-22-2012 12:34 AM
    I believe JB offers just as much to this phone as any.

07-22-2012 12:37 AM

Have you played with it? Its about 1000000000000000x smoother. Without an overclock. Ill keep working on it even if everyone else gives up.

07-22-2012 12:38 AM
    Have you played with it? Its about 1000000000000000x smoother. Without an overclock. Ill keep working on it even if everyone else gives up.

Rock on sellers rock on

This Song Rocks:
    Forever Given Forever You
    By: Evanescence
    sellers86 likes this.
    07-22-2012 12:47 AM
    I would go for it tdm, you could probably ask drew to make a custom cannibal recovery for this purpose. I mean he is making a JB ROM for the S *shrug* and a sd-ext partition is really no big deal in my eyes.
    07-22-2012 12:49 AM

I too am willing to do this. I have a spare LG Optimus V sitting around that doesn't have an OS on it right now. Just the custom recovery. It's my test phone and would be perfect for this.
    07-22-2012 12:59 AM
    Your world tdm.. We're just livin in it with some sweet phones that were supposed to be in the ground already! never would have thought we would make it to the RAZR with these things let alone any of the new galaxy's

07-22-2012 01:11 AM
    A little background: I got this idea from the teamhacksung i9000 kernel. That phone has a combined boot/recovery partition (just one of the strange and proprietary things samsung does), so there are no worries about matching the main and recovery kernels.

No, jb is not that much larger than ics, and cm10 may well squeeze on there. But I'm already removing things to make ics fit. And aokp ics has already lost SwagPapers, so aokp jb may not even fit at all. And aokp is just as popular as cm. I really don't want to stop building it.
    07-22-2012 01:14 AM
    Can't seem to get any themes to work for some reason...
    On the latest AOKP nightly. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong here. I reverted back to the system theme, rebooted, and then I always get a message saying that the theme was not "compiled correctly". I've tried 6 or 7 different themes all to the same effect.
    Any ideas?

EDIT: I tried setting my LCD density to hdpi and still nothing.
    Have you tried any of my mdpi themes? http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=1892632
    There all mdpi only and are all on the play store and all free. They are cm9 but may work on aokp
    07-22-2012 01:16 AM
    A little background: I got this idea from the teamhacksung i9000 kernel. That phone has a combined boot/recovery partition (just one of the strange and proprietary things samsung does), so there are no worries about matching the main and recovery kernels.

No, jb is not that much larger than ics, and cm10 may well squeeze on there. But I'm already removing things to make ics fit. And aokp ics has already lost SwagPapers, so aokp jb may not even fit at all. And aokp is just as popular as cm. I really don't want to stop building it.
    I'm just glad that the OV doesn't have 256 mb of ram or it'll be hell getting ics to play nicely with it.
    07-22-2012 01:23 AM

Any chance boot from sd could be a viable option? I remember reading this off xda last year where they had success using this method on the V. Don't believe it specified ROM, but I would assume GB. Might be a good alternative to allow for aokp file size.
    EDIT: did specify cm7

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1166177

[DEV][Proof-of-Concept] Boot from SD on Optimus V

07-22-2012 01:33 AM
    Have you tried any of my mdpi themes? http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=1892632
    There all mdpi only and are all on the play store and all free. They are cm9 but may work on aokp
    I applied your Halo theme and it worked, but I was more looking for a red and black theme to go with my background. So I guess I should just be looking for mdpi themes.
    Though I thought changing the LCD density in the settings would make it hdpi and xhdpi compatible.
    But thanks though! At least I know what to look for now.
    07-22-2012 01:53 AM
    aokp is choice ics... anyone running ics should already be partitioned so i dont really see any conflict... :-)
    inceyet likes this.
    07-22-2012 01:56 AM
    I applied your Halo theme and it worked, but I was more looking for a red and black theme to go with my background. So I guess I should just be looking for mdpi themes.
    Though I thought changing the LCD density in the settings would make it hdpi and xhdpi compatible.
    Look in also by acr development in the play store and I believe one of my team mates Anthony has a red and black one.
    07-22-2012 01:56 AM

If someone can point me in the direction on how to do it I wouldn't mind.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
    07-22-2012 01:57 AM

Well considering that most people that are using quattrimus are beginning to use ext, I don't see why doing the same with JB would be a problem. I'd LOVE a jb rom, cause "jb" are my initials, cheesy, I know xD

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2
    07-22-2012 01:57 AM
    I recommend AfterBurner. And make sure the themes you're downloading are CM9/AOKP mdpi themes, and NOT CM7 themes.

benslgdroid and inceyet like this.
    07-22-2012 01:59 AM
    Well considering that most people that are using quattrimus are beginning to use ext, I don't see why doing the same with JB would be a problem. I'd LOVE a jb rom, cause "jb" are my initials, cheesy, I know xD

Haha you too?

07-22-2012 01:59 AM
    Look in also by acr development in the play store and I believe one of my team mates Anthony has a red and black one.
    If you're talking about the afterburner theme I had already found and applied it lol. Thank you for your help. I am happy with it.

EDIT: Ha apparently nitestalkr already recommended it. Thanks guys. Looking good.

And thanks tdm for this ROM. I'm loving ICS on my poopy old Optimus V.
    nitestalkr and benslgdroid like this.
    07-22-2012 02:01 AM
2,975 ... 4142434445 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD