Can someone explain to me in layman's terms how to make a boot animation? Until I learn all the Techno talk pretend I'm five and explain everything slowly and carefully. The closest I've ever been to making one was designing backgrounds for my friends MySpace pages on pimpmyprofile.com.(Yes, I said MySpace. It was that long ago.) Anyways some help would be greatly appreciated. I do have an idea for a dark Ryu boot animation along with a matching theme.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums
    07-05-2012 01:29 PM
    Can someone explain to me in layman's terms how to make a boot animation? Until I learn all the Techno talk pretend I'm five and explain everything slowly and carefully. The closest I've ever been to making one was designing backgrounds for my friends MySpace pages on pimpmyprofile.com.(Yes, I said MySpace. It was that long ago.) Anyways some help would be greatly appreciated. I do have an idea for a dark Ryu boot animation along with a matching theme.

Love street fighter soooo good luck

Looking for good cm9 or cm7 themes??? visit this site for good themes. http://forum.digitalhouseoftreats.com/
    07-05-2012 01:49 PM
    I actually just made my first boot animation last night. So, I'll tell you what I've learned, which might not be specifically "right" answers, but should get you started.

My bootanimation consisted of two parts. Seperated into two seperate folders, "part0" and "part1". The first part contained a set of images in PNG format, sized for our phones (320 x 480), that I only wanted to play once. The second part contained a set of images to loop after the first part played.

So, you make those up how you like, just using Photoshop or whatever your preference is. When saving them, you can name them whatever you like, just make sure to have them numbered, and no spaces. So, something like "my_boot_000.png, my_boot_001.png"... etc...

Next, you need a text file named 'desc.txt'. It contains the following:
    Code:
    320 480 30
    p 1 0 part0
    p 0 0 part1
    The 320 is the width of the screen. The 480 is the height. 30 is the "speed" of the animation, you can adjust this to your liking.

Picking apart the next line, p 1 0 part0
    p -- the p is just there, not sure what it stands for.
    1 -- The 1 tells it how many times to play.
    0 -- The 0 is a delay in milliseconds.
    part0 -- part0 tells it which folder to play.

So, the next line is p 0 0 part1. This is basically the same, although the 0 instead of the 1 causes it to loop until the phone has booted, which is what I wanted.

After you get all that done, you're going to make a zip file called 'bootanimation.zip'. It should look like this:

bootanimation.zip
    part0
    part1
    desc.txt

Copy it into the appropriate place in your ROM. I was running AOKP, so it was /system/media/bootanimation.zip

You can download my animation and pick it apart if you'd like, just to look at a "finalized" one. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/72059024/bootanimation.zip
    07-05-2012 01:53 PM
    Any screen shots!

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
    andrewnelson23 likes this.
    07-05-2012 03:30 PM
    It's just the standard AOKP boot animation realized for our phones.

Android Central Moderator
    Words to live by: there are always two sides to every story.

07-05-2012 06:30 PM
    Nice to see they made you a mod Cole

I am developing an application to help spread animations around... should be ready as soon as I get my first boot animation working correctly.
    sammyz and cole2kb like this.
    07-05-2012 10:12 PM
    I actually just made my first boot animation last night. So, I'll tell you what I've learned, which might not be specifically "right" answers, but should get you started.

My bootanimation consisted of two parts. Seperated into two seperate folders, "part0" and "part1". The first part contained a set of images in PNG format, sized for our phones (320 x 480), that I only wanted to play once. The second part contained a set of images to loop after the first part played.

So, you make those up how you like, just using Photoshop or whatever your preference is. When saving them, you can name them whatever you like, just make sure to have them numbered, and no spaces. So, something like "my_boot_000.png, my_boot_001.png"... etc...

Next, you need a text file named 'desc.txt'. It contains the following:
    Code:
    320 480 30
    p 1 0 part0
    p 0 0 part1
    The 320 is the width of the screen. The 480 is the height. 30 is the "speed" of the animation, you can adjust this to your liking.

Picking apart the next line, p 1 0 part0
    p -- the p is just there, not sure what it stands for.
    1 -- The 1 tells it how many times to play.
    0 -- The 0 is a delay in milliseconds.
    part0 -- part0 tells it which folder to play.

So, the next line is p 0 0 part1. This is basically the same, although the 0 instead of the 1 causes it to loop until the phone has booted, which is what I wanted.

After you get all that done, you're going to make a zip file called 'bootanimation.zip'. It should look like this:

bootanimation.zip
    part0
    part1
    desc.txt

Copy it into the appropriate place in your ROM. I was running AOKP, so it was /system/media/bootanimation.zip

You can download my animation and pick it apart if you'd like, just to look at a "finalized" one. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/72059024/bootanimation.zip
    I'm running quattrimus so how do I place the zip in my rom? And you did all of that on Photoshop only?

07-06-2012 10:17 PM
    I'm running quattrimus so how do I place the zip in my rom? And you did all of that on Photoshop only?

You place it in system/media.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2
    07-06-2012 11:56 PM
    Yes, I just used Photoshop. It has batch actions and macros, so I did it manually to one image, it recorded my steps and I had it apply them to the whole folder, took a matter of minutes.
    07-07-2012 12:55 AM
    Yes, I just used Photoshop. It has batch actions and macros, so I did it manually to one image, it recorded my steps and I had it apply them to the whole folder, took a matter of minutes.
    That's Wzup. Thanks.
    07-07-2012 12:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD