View Poll Results: Is the 'fix black screen with custom recovery' thread obsolete?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 27.27%
  • Sort of, I'll explain my answer below.

3 27.27%
  • No

5 45.45%
07-28-2012 03:43 PM
29 12
tools
    Thoughts? Opinions?
    07-20-2012 01:00 AM
    Thoughts? Opinions?
    I would say it is, but I do think there should be a general warning against ROM Manager.

All other recoveries made for the OV are made for the New/Old screens. So no point at all really... anyone else agree/disagree? *shrug*?
    07-20-2012 01:19 AM
    This had the answer I needed when I replaced my screen with a LS670 screen. So now no matter what recovery I use they are all black. My boot animations are the same. So now I use Screencasting to flash roms.

So my vote is "Sort of".
    07-20-2012 01:27 AM
    This had the answer I needed when I replaced my screen with a LS670 screen. So now no matter what recovery I use they are all black. My boot animations are the same. So now I use Screencasting to flash roms.

So my vote is "Sort of".
    You should be able to use the cannibal recovery from the optimus s form, if and only if the optimus v version doesn't work with your phone!

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
    07-20-2012 03:38 AM
    Are you thinking it's obsolete because of the unbrick guide?
    I think it would be best to put up a warning about ROM Manager and then to have a link to that thread if they used it to flash a recovery.
    07-20-2012 09:54 AM
    No, if you do a google search, a lot of old stuff still comes up. Thay why people are still using aospcmod

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
    07-20-2012 10:02 AM
    No, if you do a google search, a lot of old stuff still comes up. Thay why people are still using aospcmod

Don't type that word lol, now people are going to google it and then download it and post a new thread "aospcmod help?"
    07-20-2012 10:07 AM
    The Google searches used to point towards the threads here, yes, but since they have been archived, there has only been one post about "the ROM that shall not be named" in the last month, at least, and that was because someone wanted to try it "just for fun."
    07-20-2012 10:12 AM
    The Google searches used to point towards the threads here, yes, but since they have been archived, there has only been one post about "the ROM that shall not be named" in the last month, at least, and that was because someone wanted to try it "just for fun."
    Google search cm7 optimus v. Last time I did (it was archived) it still came up.

07-20-2012 10:57 AM
    Google search cm7 optimus v. Last time I did (it was archived) it still came up.

A video referencing Zelfie's CM7 comes up, but when someone follows the link, they will be taken to an archived thread, or broken link. The first result are links to another forum referencing Backside, and Bobz CM7.

Then, IHO is referenced, and another archived thread.

AFTER that, the Cyanogenmod 7 Wiki comes up, which is where it gets tricky, it still references asopCMod.

I'll see if I can get that changed.

I'm totally okay with keeping that thread up there, just trying to clean things up and getting input from you all instead of just going for it.
    07-20-2012 12:24 PM
    A video referencing Zelfie's CM7 comes up, but when someone follows the link, they will be taken to an archived thread, or broken link. The first result are links to another forum referencing Backside, and Bobz CM7.

Then, IHO is referenced, and another archived thread.

AFTER that, the Cyanogenmod 7 Wiki comes up, which is where it gets tricky, it still references asopCMod.

I'll see if I can get that changed.

I'm totally okay with keeping that thread up there, just trying to clean things up and getting input from you all instead of just going for it.
    I think its a good idea. You know how noobs seem to find the oldest things available lol

07-20-2012 12:39 PM
    I think its a good idea. You know how noobs seem to find the oldest things available lol

So true^ is androidcentral the only location to get "not naming the ROM"? Or are there other locations? I would put in all the OPs of archived ROMs that either
    1) support for this ROM is gone, do not ask questions about it. Or
    2) support for this ROM has moved here: (insert link)

Depending on what happened is what you would put.

Sent from my Optimus M
    sellers86 likes this.
    07-20-2012 02:06 PM
    except for people installing old stuff archived elsewhere, i think the devs have it well covered with current roms and recoveries.
    i only put up that thread originally because the cause of the black screen was under debate and i thought it was important to post a fix.
    i say move it to archived hacks, but if it's not too much clutter it does score high on Google, and it has a lot of backlinks.
    HurrrDurrrDURP and sellers86 like this.
    07-20-2012 10:48 PM
    People are still referring people to that link, I'm not entirely sure what's easier to get working for this common problem with people using ROM Manager, either the thread where you replace recoveries/roms or my unbrick guide. The second post of that guide can also fix the black screen in recovery problem. Anyone know which one is easier? I have never done the black recovery fix....I have a ZV4 (currently on ZV5) optimus v.

Edit: why can't we contact the dev and get this black recovery either thrown out or replaced with a recovery that works on all of our phones? I'm so tired of the same thread being posted every freaking day!!!
    Sent from my Optimus M
    07-20-2012 11:10 PM
    It really doesn't get posted that often. Trust me, I read every single one now, lol. Sammy, one of the reasons I was wondering about how relevant it was, is because your unbrick guide seems like it would be an easier process to lead a "noob" through then the black screen post.

Alternatively, I'd like to re-do it, or maybe have three stickies, Leslieann's guide, Current ROMs for the Optimus V, and Methods for Unbricking. Just thinking out loud here. Maybe I should just leave it alone, too. All insight is appreciated. This is your forum too.
    sammyz and sellers86 like this.
    07-20-2012 11:31 PM
    It really doesn't get posted that often. Trust me, I read every single one now, lol. Sammy, one of the reasons I was wondering about how relevant it was, is because your unbrick guide seems like it would be an easier process to lead a "noob" through then the black screen post.

Alternatively, I'd like to re-do it, or maybe have three stickies, Leslieann's guide, Current ROMs for the Optimus V, and Methods for Unbricking. Just thinking out loud here. Maybe I should just leave it alone, too. All insight is appreciated. This is your forum too.
    While yes it is our forum also, you are the moderator. It is your decision. You do what you think is best for the community. That's what you're here for. I'm glad your giving us a say though

07-20-2012 11:45 PM
    Alright I was over exaggerating xD more like once sometimes twice a week someone either here or on androidforums.com makes a thread asking am I bricked? Black screen in recovery mode, etc.

But there is still a useful use for the fix black screen recovery thread. Getting data out of the phone. That can't be done if they follow my unbrick method. Some people actually use their smartphones for more than what most of us here use it for. Some people have text messages they need saved, some have apps that have data they need like some kind of organizer or something. If they had a black screen recovery, the simple fix is use flash image GUI to get it replaced (if they also flashed an old rom that doesn't support the new screens with ROM Manager as well, then they already lost that info). If someone is stuck in a recovery bootloop, backup the rom, then follow my unbrick guide. And yes there will be situations where people screw up their entire phone and there wont be a way to recover any of the lost info.

Sent from my Optimus M
    07-20-2012 11:48 PM
    Edit: why can't we contact the dev and get this black recovery either thrown out or replaced with a recovery that works on all of our phones? I'm so tired of the same thread being posted every freaking day!!!
    Sent from my Optimus M
    I think there's been several attempts to contact the dev, but there's never been any response. I could be wrong about that though. Someone like LeslieAnn or Jerryscript or Bobzhome or BigSuperSquid, who's been around longer, would know better than I would.

07-22-2012 12:11 PM
    I think there's been several attempts to contact the dev, but there's never been any response. I could be wrong about that though. Someone like LeslieAnn or Jerryscript or Bobzhome or BigSuperSquid, who's been around longer, would know better than I would.

far as i know, no positive response ever from koush about fixing the recovery in rom manager.
    it was definitely brought up to him.
    sorry.
    flapjack.fiasco likes this.
    07-22-2012 08:11 PM
    Perhaps if we mounted an organized campaign to make Koush aware. Maybe, just maybe, if enough of us contacted him, we could get a response. If we did get him to change the recovery, we wouldn't have to worry about this anymore.

If there's any kind of positive response to this idea, I'll start a thread so we can organize and just generally bug the hell out of him until he does something. Anyone up to the challenge?
    sammyz likes this.
    07-24-2012 10:29 AM
    Perhaps if we mounted an organized campaign to make Koush aware. Maybe, just maybe, if enough of us contacted him, we could get a response. If we did get him to change the recovery, we wouldn't have to worry about this anymore.

If there's any kind of positive response to this idea, I'll start a thread so we can organize and just generally bug the hell out of him until he does something. Anyone up to the challenge?
    Do it! On AC, XDA, and androidforums.com and any small forum supporting this phone.

Sent from my Optimus V running Optimus S firmware on MetroPCS
    07-24-2012 11:08 AM
    Do it! On AC, XDA, and androidforums.com and any small forum supporting this phone.

i think he's more the IRC than forum type.
    he was hassled pretty extensively when the problem was identified. good luck!
    at least it doesn't bork /all/ the OV's, just the new ones. the sprint optimus has even worse twitchiness with rom manager and it's /still/ on the Market (play, or whatever they call it now.)
    i doubt he could be "bothered" to fix it.
    an awesome dev, he is, but not very responsive to the optimus s/v crowd historically.
    sellers86 and flapjack.fiasco like this.
    07-24-2012 01:30 PM
    i think he's more the IRC than forum type.
    he was hassled pretty extensively when the problem was identified. good luck!
    at least it doesn't bork /all/ the OV's, just the new ones. the sprint optimus has even worse twitchiness with rom manager and it's /still/ on the Market (play, or whatever they call it now.)
    i doubt he could be "bothered" to fix it.
    an awesome dev, he is, but not very responsive to the optimus s/v crowd historically.
    I meant to get everyone on board with bothering the dev for him to fix it...the faster his inbox gets full with emails, the faster he'll do something.

07-24-2012 04:43 PM
    I meant to get everyone on board with bothering the dev for him to fix it...the faster his inbox gets full with emails, the faster he'll do something.

Or he'll make Rom Manager drop support completely.
    07-24-2012 05:21 PM
    Or he'll make Rom Manager drop support completely.
    Even better! Less problems.
    That would be a negative for him, lower download count.

07-24-2012 05:35 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD