THIS SHOULD ACTUALLY WORK FOR JB AS WELL! Haven't tested. But it should.

First Note: THIS WILL COST YOU MONEY. I think it's $5/ month, or $30/year, or $60/lifetime.
    There is a two week free trial that you can try out and see if you like. (Y'all can try and find an alternative, but I don't think there is one).

Second Note: I have only been able to do this on Windows. I have not tried it on Linux. I'm not sure if they have a release for it on Linux. (anyone is welcome to look and see)

Third Note: There is audio/video mismatch. It's rather annoying, and I have no idea how to fix that.

First things first. Description.

I wanted to get Netflix running on cm9, cuz I love that rom, and I really dislike switching backups just to watch a Netflix movie. After tdm said it wouldn't happen because of the lack of hardware acceleration on our devices, I was bummed. So I figured, the only way it would work would be to do it without hardware acceleration.

Sooooo, I went looking for a solution, aaaaaand found one.
    It's an app called Playon. It basically runs the movie through your computer and plays it on your phone.

Download:
    Click the download now icon on this website.
    Download this app.

Set it up:
    1. Make sure you are on the same local network as your pc. (This is required on setup).
    2. Install the playon app on your computer and phone.
    3. Open the playon app on your pc. Then open up the playon app on your phone.
    4. The phone should find the pc. on the playon app on the pc, click the channels tab and signin to your netflix account(or whatever account you want).
    5. Click the mobile access tab. Check the mobile access checkbox in order to watch movies on the go.

Finally, I tested this on a couple of video players. Use a different music player than stock. Vplayer or MXplayer are both reported to work. Make sure S/W encoding is enabled.

This uses your computer in order to watch the movies. While you can watch movies on the go, your computer needs to be on and have internet access. Therefore, if you go on a trip or something, make sure your computer stays on in order to do this. I set up my computer to not shut off wifi when I close the lid.

Also, since it uses your computer, it uses a lot of cpu and if you're using your computer, it'll make the video lag and your computer will lag as well.

It's definitely not the greatest netflix ever, but it works.

Now can someone else test this out?
    mlson, tube517 and flapjack.fiasco like this.
    07-21-2012 08:43 PM
    Hmmm cool

Looking for good cm9 or cm7 themes??? visit this site for good themes. http://forum.digitalhouseoftreats.com/
    Badboytoast likes this.
    07-21-2012 08:47 PM
    This fix is legit. While there are some sync issues, and it does cost a small monthly fee(two week free trial), there is a HUGE selection of stuff to watch. Tons of NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, TBS, Adult Swim, Spike, Espn, CNN, channels! the list goes on and on and they all have tons of tv shows! Just checked out the cbs channel and watched some Happy Days(They have like twenty or thirty episodes of that). That's all without an account!

Plus, anything on Netflix or Hulu+ will work(as long as you have an account)

Anyone have an idea on how to fix the audio sync?
    07-21-2012 09:42 PM
    Does it fix the audio and video sync issue on gingerbread roms?
    07-21-2012 10:14 PM
    No, it doesn't. I think there's a lot of sync issues.
    07-21-2012 10:20 PM
    No, it doesn't. I think there's a lot of sync issues.
    Aw that sucks /: but something is better than nothing .....
    07-22-2012 12:00 AM
    Wow, I can't believe I didn't know that PlayOn had an app! I use PlayOn to stream media from my PC to my Roku. So now I can watch/listen to all the music/video/pictures on my PC. Awesome!

I tried out VPlayer, as you suggested, but the free version pops up an add about every 5 seconds, making it totally unwatchable. I've had decent success with MX Player so far, just make sure that SW decoding is enabled by default in the MX Player settings.

Thanks again for this awesome find!
    07-22-2012 10:13 AM
    Also, for those on AOKP, YouTube seems to stream just fine through PlayOn!
    07-22-2012 10:17 AM
    Wow, I can't believe I didn't know that PlayOn had an app! I use PlayOn to stream media from my PC to my Roku. So now I can watch/listen to all the music/video/pictures on my PC. Awesome!

I tried out VPlayer, as you suggested, but the free version pops up an add about every 5 seconds, making it totally unwatchable. I've had decent success with MX Player so far, just make sure that SW decoding is enabled by default in the MX Player settings.

Thanks again for this awesome find!
    Yeahh, I think the reason I had problems with Mx player was because sw wasn't enabled by default. Does Mx player have bad audio/image syncing too?
    07-22-2012 12:23 PM
    Also, for those on AOKP, YouTube seems to stream just fine through PlayOn!
    You might post that on the Quattrimus page, and link this thread for them to go to!
    flapjack.fiasco likes this.
    07-22-2012 12:24 PM
    You might post that on the Quattrimus page, and link this thread for them to go to!
    Good idea!

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
    07-22-2012 12:27 PM
    I still could not get mxplayer to work for me. The video would not load. After a few minutes I get a popup that says cannot play video. sorry, this video cannot be played. Oh well. Vplayer is fine for me, it loads the video. and I don't seem to have too many popups. I think the reason mxplayer doesnt work is because my computer runs pretty slowly.
    07-22-2012 01:44 PM
    Maybe. My computer is at the low-end of decent (I think, I don't keep up with hardware too much lately: Quad core Phenom II, 12GB RAM, ...).

I didn't try all that many videos, so I may still find one that doesn't play. If I do, I'll try to post the difference between ones that play, and one's that don't. It could be an issue of video format. That's just a stab in the dark, but maybe VPlayer is better at decoding some formats than MX Player, and vice versa.

Either way, we both seem to have found a solution to our individual problems. Thanks again!
    07-22-2012 03:08 PM
    Maybe. My computer is at the low-end of decent (I think, I don't keep up with hardware too much lately: Quad core Phenom II, 12GB RAM, ...).

I didn't try all that many videos, so I may still find one that doesn't play. If I do, I'll try to post the difference between ones that play, and one's that don't. It could be an issue of video format. That's just a stab in the dark, but maybe VPlayer is better at decoding some formats than MX Player, and vice versa.

Either way, we both seem to have found a solution to our individual problems. Thanks again!
    If your computer is on the low end of decent, my computer is on the crappy end of crappy. only dual core, and 4 gig ram, 32 bit hahaha! I need to upgrade!

I also have an OLD windows 98 laptop that still runs floppy disks. WIN.
    07-22-2012 10:55 PM
    You guys don't know what a crappy computer is. I just recently got a nice dual-core laptop, upgraded from... a Pentium 4 single core, 2.8ghz, 1.25GB of RAM, GeForce 5200FX. Couldn't even play YouTube without choking on the video,
    07-22-2012 11:27 PM
    hahah oh wow. that's funny. Actually I just checked mine. I was wrong! single core intel celeron 2.2 ghz processor. and the ram is 2 gigs. that's probably what allows it to run well enough. haha
    07-22-2012 11:37 PM
    I guess I'm doing alright then! It's funny though, this is the first decent PC I've had in the last 20 years. For the past 10 years or so, I've built all my PCs from parts I had found in the trash. Prior to that, it was all parts I had inherited from one person or another.This is the first one I've built completely from purchased parts.
    07-23-2012 12:22 AM
    After you set this up does it still work when you are not connected to your home network?
    07-25-2012 08:37 PM
    Yes, it does, over 3g. I'm not sure if it works over a different wifi signal or not.
    duffieldj1 likes this.
    07-25-2012 08:42 PM
    In the play on settings, make sure to click the mobile access tab and select to enable mobile access.
    07-25-2012 08:45 PM
    I have PlayON and it is a great app for android, PS3, XBox 360 and the Wii. I will have to test it out on an ICS rom
    andrewnelson23 likes this.
    07-25-2012 09:00 PM
    07-25-2012 11:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD