What is zvd / zvj?

capslock118

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
This may be a simple question for many of you, but from my perspective I am little more than an end user who watches these forums for interesting Roms to try (I use Harmonia)

So, what is zvd, zvj, zv whatever and how do they relate to custom recoveries and Roms?

I have been following the discussion about porting the optimus v to s zv-something but these terms are confusing me.

Thanks for the help.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

sammyz

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I already replied to this in another PM before, read the quote:

flapjack.fiasco said:
sammyz12 said:
flapjack.fiasco said:
Hey, so it seems like you've taught yourself quite a bit about the Optimus line of phones. I've got a question, and you seem like the person to ask. What are the differences between the basebands for OS and OV. I know that we on the OV have ZV4, ZV5, and ZV9. And the OS has ZVD, ZVH, and ZVJ (that I'm aware of). Are any of them equivalent? I'm not asking for a baseband to baseband detailed analysis, I just want to know if anyone of them equates to any other.

Thanks so much for all the help you've already provided to all of us using these phones.
ZVD is very similar to ZV4/ZV5/ZV9 because they're all froyo.......ZVH and ZVJ are completely different because those are gingerbread......

Thanks for taking the time to set me straight on that!

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Sent from my Optimus M

Sent from my Optimus M

andrewnelson23

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
They are different radios. zv4, zv5 and zv9 are branches of the zvd radio. zvh and zvj are different and only for optimus s phones(but that's changed now).

certain roms and ports from optimus s can't work on optimus v because of a difference in the radio.

Like the hydro rom.

But now, we have a way of getting zvj. But its EXTREMELY complicated, so if I were you, I wouldn't. Also though, there might be a way of getting all zvj roms to work just by flashing one simple fix. it'll also fix the key switch that all optimus s roms would install. We're working on an mms fix but for now, a go fix or something like that would work.
@Nitestalkr is developing this fix.

Reactions: mlson

capslock118

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks.

So, if the zv variants are essentially different radios how does a software patch change physical qualities to make radio a turn into radio b? Or are we not talking about physical radios but virtual ones?

That might be too complicated of an answer to boil it down to a single paragraph ;)

Thanks for the information, this clears a lot up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

nitestalkr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
ZV4, ZV5, and ZV9 are Virgin Mobile only(and all based from the ZVD Baseband)

ZVD, ZVH, and ZVJ are Sprints Radio firmawares

They are listed in order via update release.

With each update, there are newer commits added, that should improve Radio signal, hardware acceleration, and a few other things. In sprint, ZVD had HW acceleration functional, but in ZVJ, its broken.

All Virgin Mobile Baseband versions(ZV4, ZV5, and ZV9) are typically for stock Froyo only, since Virgin Mobile doesn't have a GingerBread Stock.(ZV4- 2.2.1, ZV5 & ZV9 - 2.2.2),
and in the Sprint ZVD and ZVH are stock froyo(ZVD- 2.2.1, ZVH- 2.2.2), ZVJ is for stock Gingerbread(ZVJ- 2.3.X).

sammyz

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
ZV4, ZV5, and ZV9 are Virgin Mobile only(and all based from the ZVD Baseband)

ZVD, ZVH, and ZVJ are Sprints Radio firmawares

They are listed in order via update release.

With each update, there are newer commits added, that should improve Radio signal, hardware acceleration, and a few other things. In sprint, ZVD had HW acceleration functional, but in ZVJ, its broken.

All Virgin Mobile Baseband versions(ZV4, ZV5, and ZV9) are typically for stock Froyo only, since Virgin Mobile doesn't have a GingerBread Stock.(ZV4- 2.2.1, ZV5 & ZV9 - 2.2.2),
and in the Sprint ZVD and ZVH are stock froyo(ZVD- 2.2.1, ZVH- 2.2.2), ZVJ is for stock Gingerbread(ZVJ- 2.3.X).

I thought zvh was GB o_O

Sent from my Optimus M

capslock118

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
wow nitestalkr, that really added a whole new level of understanding for me. thank you.

With each update, there are newer commits added, that should improve Radio signal, hardware acceleration, and a few other things. In sprint, ZVD had HW acceleration functional, but in ZVJ, its broken."]With each update, there are newer commits added, that should improve Radio signal, hardware acceleration, and a few other things. In sprint, ZVD had HW acceleration functional, but in ZVJ, its broken.

I don't want to pull out the keywords my eyes are springing to but, my phone says
Baseband version: VM670ZV4

and i have terrible service at home (although sprint claims there is service there). Are you implying that it may be possible my reception would improve by updating to a later ZV version like ZV9?

How does this fit in with my optimus V being on Harmonia 2 (android 2.3.7 gingerbread) while being on ZV4?

nitestalkr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
wow nitestalkr, that really added a whole new level of understanding for me. thank you.

I don't want to pull out the keywords my eyes are springing to but, my phone says

and i have terrible service at home (although sprint claims there is service there). Are you implying that it may be possible my reception would improve by updating to a later ZV version like ZV9?

How does this fit in with my optimus V being on Harmonia 2 (android 2.3.7 gingerbread) while being on ZV4?

You could upgrade to zv9, but I don't recommend it myself.
I too am on zv4, and since all Virgin Mobile basebands/radio/firmwares are just sprint ZVD variations, all Optimus V roms will work without needing to upgrade (unlike Sprints Optimus S, some roms require to be on ZVJ or ZVD[but my patches fixed this issue for them])

And since your Optimus V came with ZV4, you're one of the lucky ones that has a potentially higher performance phone.

Phones that were shipped out with ZV5 have a Sprint screen, and often are lower on performance power.
Mine being a ZV4 native, has the potential to run stable at 864MHz-844MHz maximum(varies with a few ROMs, and haven't been able to test the full extent of my phones processor due to kernel speed caps).

sent from my un-dead sammich.

andrewnelson23

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I switched awhile back to zv9 from zv4 it has given me noticeably better service(I too live in a place with pretty awful sprint service). But then I went from zv9 to zvd, and I think I get even better service. I really want to go up to zvj because I think I can get the best service there, but I can't root the gal-dang thing, it keeps giving me an error that no space left on device. So I had to revert back to zvd and i'll stay there until someone helps me root it on zvj.

sammyz

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I switched awhile back to zv9 from zv4 it has given me noticeably better service(I too live in a place with pretty awful sprint service). But then I went from zv9 to zvd, and I think I get even better service. I really want to go up to zvj because I think I can get the best service there, but I can't root the gal-dang thing, it keeps giving me an error that no space left on device. So I had to revert back to zvd and i'll stay there until someone helps me root it on zvj.

Try formatting SD card with phone. With stock rom, not recovery.

Sent from my Optimus M

nitestalkr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
ahh man, I was afraid I'd have to do that. guess I'll back it up first then.

Backing up your SD card is only a real hassle if you've got a nearly full 16GB card.. I decided to not upgrade to a 32GB (cause that would be nearly full if I get it :p) , but instead save up the ~$100 for a 64GB class10 sdcard. The only reason why I plan on getting that large of a card, is cause it would be ~48GB full when I get it(I'm quite the music fanatic+I download a LOT of phone related stuff, and do most of my development from my phone, instead of a computer).
And a 64GB sdcard suits my needs well, with enough space left over to nit worry about clearing out old nandroids, roms, and other downloads.
(And, I'm going to partition 4GB for my ext, just cause I can :p)

andrewnelson23

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
WOW. hahah that is CRAZY. I have a class 4 8 gig(I'm a cheapo) hahaha that's legit though. I don't need much more though. I only hold like 4 nandroids, and delete everything but my music and pictures/videos. and 1 gig ext partition.

nitestalkr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
WOW. hahah that is CRAZY. I have a class 4 8 gig(I'm a cheapo) hahaha that's legit though. I don't need much more though. I only hold like 4 nandroids, and delete everything but my music and pictures/videos. and 1 gig ext partition.

I'm a cheapo too, my 16GB SD card was a hand me down :p
Its going to take me sometime to save up for that 64GB card.
My 16GB is also a class 4 with a 1GB partition.
and whenever I do get that 64GB card, I'll have my mini Bluetooth keyboard also, so I'll start using my phone more and more like a mini computer/tablet(I'm also going to run a basic form of Linux off my SD card, this IS possible, I've experimented with it a couple times in the past, its just REALLY slow on a class 4)

andrewnelson23

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
IT IS??? OHHHHH my gosh I think I just found a reason to upgrade cards....but I am really thinking about switching over to an HTC One X. But I don't think the community is anywhere close to as good as the OV community.

nitestalkr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
IT IS??? OHHHHH my gosh I think I just found a reason to upgrade cards....but I am really thinking about switching over to an HTC One X. But I don't think the community is anywhere close to as good as the OV community.

Yea, I'll see if I can dig up that info if you wanna try it out. :p