Any geniius out there that can help me change a metro pcs to virgin mobile im tired of metro low 3g and so called 4g anybody knows how plz and thank you
    07-26-2012 03:47 PM
    Any geniius out there that can help me change a metro pcs to virgin mobile im tired of metro low 3g and so called 4g anybody knows how plz and thank you
    Asadullah might know how, but he's only taking requests of changing LG Marquee to VM at the moment.....also you need a VM phone before you can change another phone to VM....
    StingDrop likes this.
    07-26-2012 04:07 PM
    First of all, that's illegal. Second, if you have an Optimus it doesn't support 4G.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums
    07-26-2012 04:07 PM
    Asadullah might know how, but he's only taking requests of changing LG Marquee to VM at the moment.....also you need a VM phone before you can change another phone to VM....
    YES IM GETTING THE MARQUEE TOMMOROW I ALREADY CONTACTED HIM HE SAID TO HIT HIM UP WEN I GET IT BUT I WANTED TO ALSO CHANGE THE INDULGE TO VIRGIN MOBILE

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Xparent ICS Blue Tapatalk 2
    07-26-2012 04:09 PM
    YES IM GETTING THE MARQUEE TOMMOROW I ALREADY CONTACTED HIM HE SAID TO HIT HIM UP WEN I GET IT BUT I WANTED TO ALSO CHANGE THE INDULGE TO VIRGIN MOBILE

You need a VM phone still. Even if you get the Marquee....you still need a VM phone.
    07-26-2012 04:11 PM
    It's not entirely illegal, it is however questionable at best. The phrase "how good is your lawyer" is the best answer for the legality.

Can Asadulah or I do it? Yes. Is it a good idea? Absolutely not.

No matter what, you MUST buy a VIRGIN(!) phone, so why buy a phone, just to make a different phone work? Plus, if you want 4g working, the ONLY way will be to buy an Evo V and swap the numbers, which is kind of silly because you will likely be downgrading. Then there is the amount of work, frustration and risk involved... Trust me... It's really not worth it.

Sell your Metro phone and buy a Virgin phone and be done with it.
    Oh, and as for your Marquee, you will still need to buy a Virgin phone as well and you still have legal and other risks involved. Been there, done that, not doing it again.
    07-26-2012 04:12 PM
    THANKS

07-26-2012 06:02 PM
    It's not entirely illegal, it is however questionable at best. The phrase "how good is your lawyer" is the best answer for the legality.
    This phrase alone, is what makes me glad I know a few REALLY GOOD lawyers(met them in a few assigned classes ironically enough) that can bail people out in iffy cases such as this, and knows how to "work around" such things.

It MAY be against their ToS, but there are ways through, over, under, and around that. It basically comes down to the following..
    --- "Are you using a registered Virgin Mobile phone?(Technically yes.)"
    ---"Are you legally paying for the service?(Of course!)"

The first question, is what requires you to purchase, or acquire a Virgin Mobile phone.
    It IS recommended that you get an android powered phone(cheapest preferably), so when they see high data usage, and you have a dumb flip phone that has a T9 keypad, and no camera, they won't come knocking at your door.
    07-26-2012 06:13 PM
    This phrase alone, is what makes me glad I know a few REALLY GOOD lawyers(met them in a few assigned classes ironically enough) that can bail people out in iffy cases such as this, and knows how to "work around" such things.

It MAY be against their ToS, but there are ways through, over, under, and around that. It basically comes down to the following..
    --- "Are you using a registered Virgin Mobile phone?(Technically yes.)"
    ---"Are you legally paying for the service?(Of course!)"

The first question, is what requires you to purchase, or acquire a Virgin Mobile phone.
    It IS recommended that you get an android powered phone(cheapest preferably), so when they see high data usage, and you have a dumb flip phone that has a T9 keypad, and no camera, they won't come knocking at your door.
    Is it even possible to clone a dumb phone? How do you get MIN/AAA/HA put of that? O.o

Sent from my Optimus V running Optimus S firmware on MetroPCS
    andrewnelson23 likes this.
    07-26-2012 06:23 PM
    Legal or not, I see no problem with porting over a phone to sprint in place of my OV if virgin mobile doesn't sell it on their site. I'm not costing them anything if I don't use both phones at the same time.
    sammyz and StingDrop like this.
    07-26-2012 06:26 PM
    Legal or not, I see no problem with porting over a phone to sprint in place of my OV if virgin mobile doesn't sell it on their site. I'm not costing them anything if I don't use both phones at the same time.
    You actually miss calls by using both at the same time if on 1x, you miss texts on 3G.

07-26-2012 06:33 PM
    Is it even possible to clone a dumb phone? How do you get MIN/AAA/HA put of that? O.o

Actually, it is... and im not sure how my friend did it, but he did xD
    He as the 10$ Virgin Mobile flip phone, and is using the sprint HTC Evo (before it came to virgin mobile) and he HAS to be careful with data usage, he already got something from Virgin Mobile about suspicious data usage, due to the dumb phone on his VM account.. He's going to get the V soon so it doesnt look as fishy.
    07-26-2012 06:37 PM
    Actually, it is... and im not sure how my friend did it, but he did xD
    He as the 10$ Virgin Mobile flip phone, and is using the sprint HTC Evo (before it came to virgin mobile) and he HAS to be careful with data usage, he already got something from Virgin Mobile about suspicious data usage, due to the dumb phone on his VM account.. He's going to get the V soon so it doesnt look as fishy.
    I would never do this.......even though you have to pay for a smartphone....and then another smartphone.....

07-26-2012 06:44 PM
    I would never do this.......even though you have to pay for a smartphone....and then another smartphone.....

Yea, thats why i dont like giving up my V, even though there are other BETTER phones for VM now, i love this community tooo much. Especially now that i'm starting to actually contribute to the community.

The ONLY way i would give up my V, would to get the Evo V, and even though it IS a VM phone, i'd actually link it to my V, that way, I can turn off my V when i want to use the Evo, and vice versa. That way, i won't ever have to worry about not having service, when 1 phone dies... even though i have a total of 3 batteries for my V xD.
    07-26-2012 06:48 PM
    Yea, thats why i dont like giving up my V, even though there are other BETTER phones for VM now, i love this community tooo much. Especially now that i'm starting to actually contribute to the community.

The ONLY way i would give up my V, would to get the Evo V, and even though it IS a VM phone, i'd actually link it to my V, that way, I can turn off my V when i want to use the Evo, and vice versa. That way, i won't ever have to worry about not having service, when 1 phone dies... even though i have a total of 3 batteries for my V xD.
    Lol, but you wouldn't have 4G and its hard to get the evo to get stuff to stick, its easier the other way around...

07-26-2012 06:55 PM
    Lol, but you wouldn't have 4G and its hard to get the evo to get stuff to stick, its easier the other way around...

I could careless for 4G.. there's really no point, considering WiMAX only has very few areas throughout America where it works in like a .5 mile radius to a 5 mile radius, in inner cities.. I would only consider 4G if it had at LEAST 10% of the coverage that 3G does.. it barley has 0.3% as much coverage....

If i did it the other way around, id have to pay 10$ more than i currently do. With the Optimus V on my VM account, i only pay $25/m for 300 minutes, unlimited everything else(im grandfathered in). But, if i put the Evo V on my account, i'd lose my Grandfathered status, and have to pay $35/m for the same plan.

And, i dont see myself actually trying to think about purchasing another phone any time in the next 2-3 years(or whenever my OV dies out on me for good lol).
    07-26-2012 07:31 PM
    You forgot one thing, my unbrick guide extended it by 5 years

StingDrop likes this.
    07-26-2012 07:52 PM
    Yes, dumb phones are possible and using a dumb phone for it IS illegal, because part of the federal law you are skirting specifically states "in regards to defrauding a company". By using a dumb phone with your smart phone, you most certainly are defrauding Virgin, meaning without a doubt, you ARE breaking federal law. There is no legal maneuvering or technicalities to get off on, all you have is plea bargaining.

As for what phones to use, old Intercepts (not newer ones) and Optimus V are the best candidates, though both can be difficult at times.

It's not all rosy even if you pull it off.
    Even if you do this, you have to mod your roms to get mms working, and not only will only a few roms work, but even fewer will work properly. You also have no support if there is a problem, and if you use a bad esn phone and a cop pulls the battery and runs a check (which does happen)... You can be nailed for stolen property, fcc violations, T.O.S. violations and federal law violations. You also never know if Virgin will catch on to what you did (and yes, if they really wanted to, they CAN tell), and if you use a bad esn phone, the VERY least you can count on is losing your account and number. Not so much fun.

I had an Evo 4G (Sprint model) which I still love love but I still bought one of the first Evo V's, why? Because it's a HASSLE running a ported phone for the reasons mentioned above. Yes, it was an upgrade to an extent, but I was quite happy on the 4g, it is a fantastic phone, I just didn't like the hassle and stress that came with it.

You would think that if you like to tinker that it would be perfect because the whole phone is an experiment, but in reality you end up with less choices because so few roms will work properly on Virgin. Think I am kidding? 3 months later, even without updates, people are still using my CM7 rom on the Evo 4g because it's one of the only ones that works completely (except 4g of course) and I still get requests for mms fixes.
    sammyz likes this.
    07-26-2012 10:10 PM
    Yes, dumb phones are possible and using a dumb phone for it IS illegal, because part of the federal law you are skirting specifically states "in regards to defrauding a company". By using a dumb phone with your smart phone, you most certainly are defrauding Virgin, meaning without a doubt, you ARE breaking federal law. There is no legal maneuvering or technicalities to get off on, all you have is plea bargaining.

As for what phones to use, old Intercepts (not newer ones) and Optimus V are the best candidates, though both can be difficult at times.

It's not all rosy even if you pull it off.
    Even if you do this, you have to mod your roms to get mms working, and not only will only a few roms work, but even fewer will work properly. You also have no support if there is a problem, and if you use a bad esn phone and a cop pulls the battery and runs a check (which does happen)... You can be nailed for stolen property, fcc violations, T.O.S. violations and federal law violations. You also never know if Virgin will catch on to what you did (and yes, if they really wanted to, they CAN tell), and if you use a bad esn phone, the VERY least you can count on is losing your account and number. Not so much fun.

I had an Evo 4G (Sprint model) which I still love love but I still bought one of the first Evo V's, why? Because it's a HASSLE running a ported phone for the reasons mentioned above. Yes, it was an upgrade to an extent, but I was quite happy on the 4g, it is a fantastic phone, I just didn't like the hassle and stress that came with it.

You would think that if you like to tinker that it would be perfect because the whole phone is an experiment, but in reality you end up with less choices because so few roms will work properly on Virgin. Think I am kidding? 3 months later, even without updates, people are still using my CM7 rom on the Evo 4g because it's one of the only ones that works completely (except 4g of course) and I still get requests for mms fixes.
    Ohh thanks, I should be more careful with my Optimus V then......lol
    07-26-2012 10:26 PM
    I have a friend, if you need someone
    StingDrop likes this.
    07-26-2012 11:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD