[GUIDE] Unbrick/Upgrade Optimus V [EASY] [KDZ]

caliEskimo

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
OMG!!!!! I tried a untested ROM and bricked my new Otpimus V and I had to come back here and use KDZ over again and I have to give it to you, IT WORKS....THANKS A MILLION GUYS!!!! WHEW, I thought I was going to die, for real but you saved my life on this one...I'm donating some $$$ for sure!!! :)

montrealman

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Sammy,

after a cupla tries, this worked, I kept getting the dreaded "the application dialer has stopped unexpectedly" with the obnoxious and recurrent "force close". Now to reinstall my apps. Thanks again. will contribute if I can figure out how.

MM

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Trying the second set of instructions (return to stock). KDZ just goes to Not Responding a couple seconds after clicking start.

Any ideas?

121jose

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
All of you may or may not know about my KP500 unbrick method, but this one will replace my unbrick and upgrade/downgrade/return to stock methods. Why? Because this is 100x more easier than KP500 and 10x more easier than LGNPST. These are somewhat the same directions is in the readme file that I included in the single download that contains everything you need.

This may not fully unbrick your phone in certain circumstances (neither will KP500). In such cases, please PM me.

DO NOT USE THIS TO RETURN TO ZV5 IF YOU ARE RUNNING ZVD/ZVJ FIRMWARE.

Download this: Unbrick OV KDZ.rar

Unbrick directions:
  1. Install Drivers (LGUnitedMobileDriver_S4981MAN37AP22_ML_WHQL_Ver_3.7.2)>Reboot
  2. Install MSXML 4.0 SP3 Parser (msxml.msi)
  3. Connect phone in emergency mode (Phone off> Volume Down + Back key + plug in USB)
  4. Run KDZ_FW_UPD.exe
  5. Select ZV5.kdz
  6. In "type", choose 3GQCT
  7. In Phonemode, choose EMERGENCY
  8. Click Launch software update
  9. Wait for the error to come up
  10. Press OK
  11. Unplug phone, pull battery, reindeer battery, press power button, reinsert usb cable.
  12. Click Launch software update
  13. This time it won't error, you will be unbricked.
  14. Enjoy :D

Upgrade/Downgrade/Return to stock directions:
  1. Install Drivers, Reboot
  2. Install MSXML 4.0 SP3 Parser (msxml.msi)
  3. Connect phone in recovery mode (Phone off> Volume Down + Home key)(This will not work with certain recoveries, in that case you will need your MSL code here and then dial ##PORT# and enter MSL code (aka SPC code))
  4. Run KDZ_FW_UPD.exe
  5. Select ZV5.kdz
  6. In type, choose 3GQCT
  7. In Phonemode, choose DIAG
  8. Click Launch software update
  9. Enjoy :D

If you get a bootloop after any of these methods above, go into recovery, factory reset, reboot.

If you get a blackscreen while trying to access recovery and can't boot up, redo unbrick method. After that you will most likely still get a blackscreen recovery, but it boots. In that case, just flash another custom recovery. DO NOT FACTORY RESET from privacy menu. PM me if you need stock recovery on it.

Like my work?
Donate here :D

how long is it supposed to be taking?

121jose

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
all of you may or may not know about my kp500 unbrick method, but this one will replace my unbrick and upgrade/downgrade/return to stock methods. Why? Because this is 100x more easier than kp500 and 10x more easier than lgnpst. These are somewhat the same directions is in the readme file that i included in the single download that contains everything you need.

This may not fully unbrick your phone in certain circumstances (neither will kp500). In such cases, please pm me.

do not use this to return to zv5 if you are running zvd/zvj firmware.

download this: unbrick ov kdz.rar

unbrick directions:
  1. install drivers (lgunitedmobiledriver_s4981man37ap22_ml_whql_ver_3.7.2)>reboot
  2. install msxml 4.0 sp3 parser (msxml.msi)
  3. connect phone in emergency mode (phone off> volume down + back key + plug in usb)
  4. run kdz_fw_upd.exe
  5. select zv5.kdz
  6. in "type", choose 3gqct
  7. in phonemode, choose emergency
  8. click launch software update
  9. wait for the error to come up
  10. press ok
  11. unplug phone, pull battery, reindeer battery, press power button, reinsert usb cable.
  12. click launch software update
  13. this time it won't error, you will be unbricked.
  14. enjoy :d

upgrade/downgrade/return to stock directions:
  1. install drivers, reboot
  2. install msxml 4.0 sp3 parser (msxml.msi)
  3. connect phone in recovery mode (phone off> volume down + home key)(this will not work with certain recoveries, in that case you will need your msl code here and then dial ##port# and enter msl code (aka spc code))
  4. run kdz_fw_upd.exe
  5. select zv5.kdz
  6. in type, choose 3gqct
  7. in phonemode, choose diag
  8. click launch software update
  9. enjoy :d

if you get a bootloop after any of these methods above, go into recovery, factory reset, reboot.

If you get a blackscreen while trying to access recovery and can't boot up, redo unbrick method. After that you will most likely still get a blackscreen recovery, but it boots. In that case, just flash another custom recovery. Do not factory reset from privacy menu. Pm me if you need stock recovery on it.

Like my work?
Donate here :d

okay i did all of this, it took me back to the clockworkmod recovery 5.0.2.7 on my phone whatt do i do now?

upconvert

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Now you need to flash a new rom. Download a rom and gapps from one of the many rom threads in this forum and place them on the sd card. From the recovery menus wipe/format boot, data, system, cache, and dalvik (that option is under advanced). Then find the install zip from sdcard option. Do that with the rom's .zip and the gapps' .zip. Then reboot and enjoy your new working rom.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Please explain in detail what you did so we can figure out weather you missed something in the Tutorial, or you need to move on to the next more serious unbrick guide.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using AC Forums mobile app

Aric Isenhoward

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I am stuck on the lg logo freeze. Before that i was stuck on clockwork menu. I bought my optimus V on craiglist it w?s rooted & he dint tell me so i factory reset it& that began my probs. I can ba reached @ [deleted by moderator]. Can you send me the links that will work to recover my phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I am stuck on the lg logo freeze. Before that i was stuck on clockwork menu. I bought my optimus V on craiglist it w?s rooted & he dint tell me so i factory reset it& that began my probs. I can ba reached @ [deleted by moderator]. Can you send me the links that will work to recover my phone.
Can You get into Emergency Mode?
What all have you done since doing the factory reset. Try to give as much detail as possible.
I noticed it said you were stuck in the ClockworkMod recovery. What did you do to get out of it, and stuck on the splash screen?

We can help, although more info would be very helpful indeed, and make things go quicker in the long run.

drsparsh

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
i am unable to unbrick my phone. Its not showing that its in emergency mode but is taking software upgrade which always fails at IParam = 93.
After that i get LG logo thats it.
Tried it several times.. Any help..

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Here is updated easy to understand unbrick directions:

00. Download and install LG USB Drivers for the LG VM670
01. Install MSXML 4.0 SP3 Parser (msxml.msi)
02. Your computer needs to be connected to the internet.
03. Connect phone in emergency mode (Phone off> Volume Down + Back key + plug in USB)
04. Run KDZ_FW_UPD.exe
05. In type, choose 3GQCT
06. In Phonemode, choose EMERGENCY
07. Choose the ZV5.kdz
08. Click Launch software update
09. Wait for the error to come up (this might happen a few times in a row just keep repeating steps
10, 11, and 12)
10. Press OK
11. Unplug phone, pull battery, press power button for 30 sec. then reinsert battery and get back into emergency mode.
When everything is working correctly you should get a readout that pops up that shows a
scrolling text that eventually will display:
wParam:7, IParam=00
then:
wParam:7, IParam=01
and so on and so on until you get to
wParam:7, IParam=100
(in the middle of all this you will ocasionally get a dll message error, this is normal), then
you will get:
wParam:8, IParam=00
It should now go into battery charge mode, or recovery mode, or boot into the phone.
13. Enjoy

Notes:

01. If it stops before wParam:8, IParam=00 or it hangs in the bootanimation, and you have no recovery, get into the fastboot screen (same
way you get into the recovery, but with no recovery it will automatically go to the fastboot
screen).
Plug the phone into the computer and open a terminal in C:/ SDK/ folder the fastboot.exe is in (Windows it's the tools folder/Linux it's the platform-tools folder) that you
should already have on your C: drive (If no SDK folder let me know, I have one you can download).
Then type in this code:
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot erase boot
fastboot erase system
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot erase cache
Pull battery, get into the E-mode and start the KDZ utility over.
02. If it boots into the recovery just select the "wipe data/factory reset" option, unplug the phone
from the computer and then select the "reboot system now" option.
03. If it goes to battery charge mode just unplug from computer and push the power button.
04. On the first boot up it might takes as long as 10 minutes to fully boot into the lockscreen.

00. Install Drivers, Reboot
02. Connect phone in recovery mode (Phone off> Volume Down + Home key)(This will not work with
certain recoveries so try the Xionia or the VM670NH recovery's first)
03. Run KDZ_FW_UPD.exe
04. Select the ZV5.kdz
06. In Phonemode, choose DIAG
07. Click Launch software update
08. Enjoy

Made by Sammyz: Updated by AndyOpie150 on Wed/02/October/2013

Last edited:

inceyet

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Here is updated easy to understand unbrick directions:

00. Download and install LG USB Drivers for the LG VM670
02. Your computer needs to be connected to the internet.
03. Connect phone in emergency mode (Phone off> Volume Down + Back key + plug in USB)
04. Run KDZ_FW_UPD.exe
06. In Phonemode, choose EMERGENCY
07. Choose the ZV5.kdz
08. Click Launch software update
09. Wait for the error to come up (this might happen a few times in a row just keep repeating steps
10, 11, and 12)
10. Press OK
11. Unplug phone, pull battery, press power button
When everything is working correctly you should get a readout that pops up that shows a
scrolling text that eventually will display:
wParam:7, IParam=00
then:
wParam:7, IParam=01
and so on and so on until you get to
wParam:7, IParam=100
(in the middle of all this you will ocasionally get a dll message error, this is normal), then
you will get:
wParam:8, IParam=00
It should now go into battery charge mode, or recovery mode, or boot into the phone.
13. Enjoy

Notes:

01. If it stops before wParam:8, IParam=00 or it hangs in the bootanimation, and you have no recovery, get into the fastboot screen (same
way you get into the recovery, but with no recovery it will automatically go to the fastboot
screen).
Plug the phone into the computer and open a terminal in C:/ SDK/ folder the fastboot.exe is in (Windows it's the tools folder/Linux it's the platform-tools folder) that you
should already have on your C: drive (If no SDK folder let me know, I have one you can download).
Then type in this code:
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot erase boot
fastboot erase system
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot erase cache
Pull battery, get into the E-mode and start the KDZ utility over.
02. If it boots into the recovery just select the "wipe data/factory reset" option, unplug the phone
from the computer and then select the "reboot system now" option.
03. If it goes to battery charge mode just unplug from computer and push the power button.
04. On the first boot up it might takes as long as 10 minutes to fully boot into the lockscreen.

00. Install Drivers, Reboot
02. Connect phone in recovery mode (Phone off> Volume Down + Home key)(This will not work with
certain recoveries so try the Xionia or the VM670NH recovery's first)
03. Run KDZ_FW_UPD.exe
04. Select the ZV5.kdz
06. In Phonemode, choose DIAG
07. Click Launch software update
08. Enjoy

Made by Sammyz: Updated by AndyOpie150 on Wed/02/October/2013

ok heres the deal ive gone and did it my phone is stuck on the LG screen, but i can get into my recovery .....i have a OV on virgin mobile and cant remember what version the phone was ZV5 i think i've had it for a while need help yall

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
When did you purchase the V? Was it new or used?
If you can still get into your recovery, just flash another ROM and Gapps.
Flash the MiRaGe ROM and Gapps. In the power menu when you select the reboot option, do you have the option to reboot into the bootloader, and if so, does it (to get out of that screen just pull battery)?

inceyet

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
When did you purchase the V? Was it new or used?
If you can still get into your recovery, just flash another ROM and Gapps.
Flash the MiRaGe ROM and Gapps. In the power menu when you select the reboot option, do you have the option to reboot into the bootloader, and if so, does it (to get out of that screen just pull battery)?

how do i flash another ROM and Gapps while in recovery , btw i have COT