Long-term effects of overclocking. [continued from CM9 thread]

terthii

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I just discovered my phone is BEAST. decided to experiment with OC. Currently I'm stable at 825/864. Bumping it up right now to 844/864, and somehow, I don't think it's gonna be a problem. WIN.

DON'T do that! Over time your processor will get weaker and weaker. Believe me, I know. Go for around 800 if you must, your only losing around 64mhz anyway.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

bhasden

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ROM][BETA] Quattrimus ICS

DON'T do that! Over time your processor will get weaker and weaker. Believe me, I know. Go for around 800 if you must, your only losing around 64mhz anyway.

What do you mean by weaker? A CPU is clocked at a certain MHz. It doesn't just start slowing down over time.

jlkiller893

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
By weaker I mean that when a phone gets over clocked too high it kinda gets overloaded and later doesn't go a high a it used to be. I know it sounds stupid but it really is true. Slows down little by little until it crashes at the speed you were on. Takes though so doesn't bother me. It shouldn't bother you either so over clock as much a you want :D

terthii

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

What do you mean by weaker? A CPU is clocked at a certain MHz. It doesn't just start slowing down over time.

Meaning that over time you won't be able to run at 864mhz stable. It's like your processor degrades.

nitestalkr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Meaning that over time you won't be able to run at 864mhz stable. It's like your processor degrades.

But its not like that it would slow down any time soon.
The processors vary greatly, due to the random amount of iron in the sand that is used to make the hard silicon processors for our phones. If someone is stable at 864Mhz, it will take a very long time for it to decrease.
If someone is stable at say... 787MHz, and tried constantly to run at 864MHz for extended periods of time, then theirs will decrease drastically faster than someone that is able to run at a stable speed.
If you try to go beyond your top stable speed, then your end result will be a very slow, barely functional phone processor.
No matter how tempting it may be, do not push past your stable speed.
I can run more than stable at 864MHz, and I'd like to see if I can go past that.. but I don't think the kernel allows it..

sent from my un-dead sammich.

terthii

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
But its not like that it would slow down any time soon.
The processors vary greatly, due to the random amount of iron in the sand that is used to make the hard silicon processors for our phones. If someone is stable at 864Mhz, it will take a very long time for it to decrease.
If someone is stable at say... 787MHz, and tried constantly to run at 864MHz for extended periods of time, then theirs will decrease drastically faster than someone that is able to run at a stable speed.
If you try to go beyond your top stable speed, then your end result will be a very slow, barely functional phone processor.
No matter how tempting it may be, do not push past your stable speed.
I can run more than stable at 864MHz, and I'd like to see if I can go past that.. but I don't think the kernel allows it..

I used to be perfectly stable at 864mhz, but I'm lucky if I can even get to the 800's now. I believe one of the forum moderators had the same experience with this phone.

Edit: The moderator I referred to was cole2kb.

Last edited:

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

Terthii is correct. I can also attest to the processor not having as much power as it did out of the box. I used to be able to fly @ 864 on Gingerbread, now I'm lucky to be stable at 806.

Reactions: terthii

nitestalkr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Terthii is correct. I can also attest to the processor not having as much power as it did out of the box. I used to be able to fly @ 864 on Gingerbread, now I'm lucky to be stable at 806.

Also, overclock speeds vary from rom/kernel combos, since tthe processor is very kernel dependent, you may not get the same stable speeds as you got with other roms/kernels. In BACKside, my stable speed varied from 787 to 864(stability increased with each update to the kernel Backside received) and in early alpha quattrimus, my highest was mid 600's, anything in the 700 range crashed my phone. As development progressed, as did my stability. I'm not back up to 864MHz as my stable setting. And with the variety in the processors, only a hand full will be more stable than others with each ROM/kernel.

Have you tried going back to that specific GB rom, to see if you're still able to achieve those speeds?

benslgdroid

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I think running constantly at 806-840 max 480 min for the last year has killed my processor. My phone gets worse everyday. Without tdm and Quatrimus I would have thrown it out months ago. I'm upgrading my phone this week but I'm still going to use this rom and keep up with nightlies and keep pumping out themes for it just won't have phone service.

Reactions: tdm

nitestalkr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I think running constantly at 806-840 max 480 min for the last year has killed my processor. My phone gets worse everyday. Without tdm and Quatrimus I would have thrown it out months ago. I'm upgrading my phone this week but I'm still going to use this rom and keep up with nightlies and keep pumping out themes for it just won't have phone service.

Then again, not all electronics are created equal..
I'm just wondering when mine is going to quit on me... the lowest I've set mine to was 787(with exception of trying early alpha of quattrimus) in the year and a half I've been rooted... it still runs strong at 864MHz... I might just try to see if I can go any higher(that's if I can find a way to do so).

LeoLawliet

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I can run at 864 on performance without any reboots, not that I'm using that setting. I stick to the usual 480-806 on interactive. I passed along my OV to my younger brother for a bit till he gets a new phone, but I'm still gonna be around to checkup on progress with the OV daily. I'll be getting the phone back eventually

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: Long-term effects of overclocking. [continued from CM9 thread

I can't really fathom going back to the very first ROM I used, which was AOSPCMod, however, very soon after that I went to Harmonia, to Mirage, and back and fourth. Never used Backside.

I suppose I could try AOSPCMod again and see what happens, but I'm on ZV9 now. However, I feel like not being able to overclock like I used to on Harmonia 1 gives a talking point towards the degrading of a processor vs further development decreasing my ability to do so.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

Maybe if I get some free time, I'll find a way to go back to ZV4, try AOSPCMod and see what happens. Even doing a bit of research, you get both answers:

Overclocking can cause excess heat, which in our phones, is not dispersed very well, however, I have no idea what the standard operating temp is vs overclocked temp. This also applies to potentially damaging other internal components due to heat.

Overclocking to a stable point can end up becoming unstable due to configuration changes. Again, I can't shed any light on this specifically, due to the simple fact that I don't have kernel changelogs memorized.

So, it's all speculation. All I know is, I am running (on the surface) similar ROMs from the same developers that I was running in the late beginning of 2011, and I've been overclocked the whole time, and my processor seems to be weaker, and my phone much less stable than it was before. I'm not complaining, I fully expected this, just sharing my observations and speculation.

nitestalkr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
And also with so many variables that effect how the processor performs, its hard to set a "standard" OC, which is also why they come at 600MHz Max stock.
Some can even perform at higher speeds than 864MHz, but that was the set cap by devs in early Optimus development.

I will confirm that OC'ing does have the potential to degrade the phones processor, and can often cause it to over heat, which in turns ruins your phone as well.
I experienced severe over heating with my phone several times, its gotten so hot that I couldn't even touch it without burning myself.(I'm surprised its still functional after being "red" hot)

This severe overheating was often caused while being overclocked at 864MHz, downloading ROM updates, texting, calling, browsing the web, just about anything, including just sitting there.
Despite this "red" hot state that my phone would often enter, I still OC'd at 800+MHz.
Around the start of 2012, my phone seized to overheat AT ALL, and seemed even more so stable at 864MHz, was the snappiest, and extremely responsive than ever.

The only ROMs that I've constantly used and stuck with, were BACKside, and Quattrimus. I stuck with BACKside from start to finish, and Quattrimus from start to now.

kirurus

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site

My phone runs so darn smooth on 245/600 on quattrimus that I really don't see the point in overclocking anymore.

Shinkenred

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site

This is interesting. My Opti S never had overheating problems while OC'd (min 600/max 824, performance). However, when I had it on the charger (and I ALWAYS switch the governor to powersave for this, as the battery would usually be close to dead by that point), it DID get fairly warm. First time I ever OC'd her was when I got Cold As Ice. She was awesome for about a week, then she just got slow as hell...and since switching to Joylicious Optimus about a month ago, it seems to have only gotten worse. I haven't tried going back to CAI or even trying another different ROM...yet.

This stupidly hot weather hasn't done the phone any favors, either - it ALWAYS gets pretty hot when I'm out and about unless I have it in my pocket. At this point, I have no idea what to make of my Opti S...just about everything has a bad habit of slowing to a crawl or even briefly freezing. Maybe she just can't take much more. :(

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

Processors are binned.

They take it and run a test, if it's completely stable at max speed, they mark it at max speed. If it's less, they try the next step down, if it's stable it gets marked there. They continue this until they get to the slowest speed offered for that particular model or dispose of it. If they don't have enough slower ones, they can grab some from the other, faster binned chips. This is why overclocking works, you get lucky and have one that was pulled from a higher bin. However, you never know if you did or not, and you also don't know why yours may have been binned down in the first place.

What happens a lot is the manufacturer binned it because maybe it was stable at 768, but not quite 806. You on the other hand don't have their ability to test as precise and think you are stable at 806 and yet you aren't. If the processor has a week spot, you can burn up some of the transistors and lose speed, others that are okay, may start strong and weaken over time. The factories know this. They can test for it, and plan ahead for it, it;s not a big deal if over time you drop a few, but with overclocking (which uses more power and generates more heat), you can start dropping them fast.

The smarter computer overclockers realize it's hard on the chips, but they take steps to minimize the damage by using more powerful coolers and understanding that they are shortening the lifespan of the processor. The goal is to make sure it lasts long enough until your next upgrade. On phones, we don't have the luxury of better cooling and rarely the option of undervolting (which can help or hurt).

It's all a big game, if you want to play, be prepared to lose on occasion.
I know a ton of people who have burned up A LOT of components overclocking.

nitestalkr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I for one, "torched" my laptop by overclocking it, and keeping it at its Max stable for too long, it took about 5 summers for it to burn up and quit on me.

I tend to push things to the Max, and its a costly habit, although interesting one as well.
I've yet to replace my laptop, and I am shocked that my phone is still performing so well. However, if I ever do need to replace my phone later down the road, I'll be sure to not be as careless with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool