[ROM][WIP]CM10.0.0-RC0-BobZ

A-android-B

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I just want to say thanks Bob and it hit me pretty hard when I read your post about Ics being the end of the line. Then I thought hell ics is pretty damn awesome on this phone I pay 25 a month for and only paid 50 bucks brand new for the handset. I have confidence in you and this entire optimus community (the whole optimus line... p500, OS all of them). If there is someway or somehow I know you guys will be the ones to hack patch port or build it. I have the utmost respect to all of you guys as I'm sure most of this phones community does and even other phone communities do. No matter what happens just have fun :)

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

tdm

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
That being said, I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the lack of space. If I swap out keyboards, it become a port rather than a build...which I don't like to do. I was thinking about changing partition sizes and removing space from data and giving it to system...but I'm afraid that others or even myself may brick the phone. I'll have to do some more research on the matter.

Right now I feel ICS was the end of the line for this phone.
Ideas and suggestion are welcomed...

I have considered several options. Keep in mind this is all theory right now, as I haven't actually implemented any of it yet. I'm busy playing with the OMAP3 video processing pipeline in my Marquee right now to get the cameras working. :D But I've done a fair amount of thinking on the subject and I have a bit of experience under my belt.

I initially thought of changing partition sizes because it works so well on Samsung devices. But they have a single kernel for normal boot and recovery, which makes it easy. For our phones, short of rewriting the atag table (which I don't believe is possible), it would require a matching recovery and rom kernel. Users are sure to screw that up. Heck, I would probably screw it up. So I discarded this idea.

I settled on the idea of bind-mounting /system/app to /sd-ext/sysapp as the best solution. Now, /system/app doesn't have a huge amount of stuff in it. But it has enough that if it weren't there, the rest of the system should fit. It happens to contain LatinIME, most of gapps, and the crucial SwagPapers from AOKP that was tossed out in my build to make extra space. So this would provide enough space to support a full "small" language set, a full LatinIME dictionary, and other stuff as well.

The biggest problem I see with /sd-ext/sysapp is flashing stuff in recovery. Install scripts are at risk of getting rather confused. For example, flashing a "normal" gapps will delete some files under /system/app. But those files won't be in /system/app when running under recovery. Thankfully, gapps is easy to repackage and users shouldn't be flashing a whole lot of stuff to a running system anyway. Certainly not stuff that plays with /system/app (with the already noted exception of gapps). And if one were inclined, one could make an init.d script that moves anything in /system/app to /sd-ext/app before doing the bind mount. That would only fix half of the issue, and I'm not sure if that is better or worse than doing nothing.

Oh yeah... and it would also, technically, be the first setup to actually require the sdcard to boot. But that's a small price to pay for jellybeans, don'tcha think? ;)

Hope that is useful...

tvall

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't change files...I alter source code to fix things. Example is the "boot to recovery fix", I made changes in android_frameworks_base/core/res/res/values/arrays.xml which when compiled ends up with changes in framework.

That being said, I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the lack of space. If I swap out keyboards, it become a port rather than a build...which I don't like to do. I was thinking about changing partition sizes and removing space from data and giving it to system...but I'm afraid that others or even myself may brick the phone. I'll have to do some more research on the matter.

Right now I feel ICS was the end of the line for this phone.
Ideas and suggestion are welcomed...

I, personally, would slim the large apps down as much as possible. Then I would move unimportant, but useful stuff to /cache. I dont know of many ov roms that actually use cache for anything. Kinda a waste.

I wouldn't mess with the partition sizes.

upconvert

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
You gotta replace his latinIME.apk with the one from my rom. Here, Ill upload it.

Open the zip, navigate to system/app and drag this file in.

Then flash my latest custom gapps. Now with partially working Google Now and Fully working google ears

This method worked for me (partially). All the Gapps i need are on there. The google now opens, but doesn't work. It just says it's initiallizing, then that it 'didn't catch that. Retry?' The voice search from the play store works from the app icon, but not the widget. Good enough for me.

Awesome work Bob! Thanks for the assist, Zakman!

tvall

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
this rom is crap my pants fast! :O good work bob!

i think the OV wont get to much father past JB but it will get JB working

I wonder if people realize that's said about nearly every android release...

On the g1, they said we will never see froyo. Then they said gb will never be usable. Then they said ics will never boot. I think the same will happen on the ov. We have a good community with resourceful devs. they'll figure it out somehow.

Reactions: glarepate

sellers86

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
sdext idea

I don't think this is a good idea personally... how many people do you think have good/big enough sdcards to run something as important as system apps? I know I (and probably a lot of others) look for the biggest cheapest sdcard I can find. Just my opinion, I'm happy with ics so not sure if I'll be using jb much.
Sorry for the quote, I hate tapatalk.
Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Zakman

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
@Bob I believe there is a RIL problem, whenever I set my phone down for like half and hour, when I pick it up my data no longer works. And in order to get it to work I have to restart the phone

ThatGuyLurkin

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if people realize that's said about nearly every android release...

On the g1, they said we will never see froyo. Then they said gb will never be usable. Then they said ics will never boot. I think the same will happen on the ov. We have a good community with resourceful devs. they'll figure it out somehow.

I second that. I still have my G1 running your Froyo 2.2.3. Seem Froyo was it? Its one amazing device. And its the first Android device!

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: tvall

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't think this is a good idea personally... how many people do you think have good/big enough sdcards to run something as important as system apps? I know I (and probably a lot of others) look for the biggest cheapest sdcard I can find. Just my opinion, I'm happy with ics so not sure if I'll be using jb much.
Sorry for the quote, I hate tapatalk.

From what I understand, some of the class 4 sd-cards have the highest random r/w speeds, which is exactly what you want, right?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

diecastdonkey

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
sdext idea
<br />
<br />
I don't think this is a good idea personally... how many people do you think have good/big enough sdcards to run something as important as system apps? I know I (and probably a lot of others) look for the biggest cheapest sdcard I can find. Just my opinion, I'm happy with ics so not sure if I'll be using jb much. <br />
Sorry for the quote, I hate tapatalk. <br />
I can just see all the noobs complaining that it won't work, even if it was made very clear they need at least a class 4 SD, with detailed instruction on how to tell. Most noobs seem to be allergic to reading. ;)

Reactions: inceyet

jonny5449

AC Citizen
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I can just see all the noobs complaining that it won't work, even if it was made very clear they need at least a class 4 SD, with detailed instruction on how to tell. Most noobs seem to be allergic to reading. ;)

We were all noobs once :p
I have class 10 like a boss

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: A-android-B

upconvert

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Would it be difficult to set in a slightly less severe under-clocking option? I think I have an OV that was created a little less equal. I have no reboots at 480 (rock solid for the last 24 hours doing all the things that would crash it before), but a few at 600 (not a ton, but more times than I wanted to watch it count from 0 to 71). I'd sacrifice a little speed for the stability, but it would be nice if there were one or two stops in between.

Alternatively, are there any alternatives?

Still absolutely loving this rom, Bob!

r0gu3dev1pr

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Just curious. Is this rom suppose to work on Optimus S? I attempted to flash it however the install gets aborted with error 7.

Sent from my using Tapatalk

inceyet

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Just curious. Is this rom suppose to work on Optimus S? I attempted to flash it however the install gets aborted with error 7.

Sent from my using Tapatalk

There is a S version over in that thread I think thekraven is heading that up over there

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I, too, am unable to get any gapps to load. they all flash successfully, but when i reboot they do not appear on the phone. also tried downloading just the play store apk, which installs okay but will not load (crashes instantly). I think i'll wait for a more stable release.

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I do not see an option for that in my recovery (CWM-based Recovery 4.0.1.5). Which version/type are you running?

Scratch that. Was looking in the wrong place. I'll try it now and see how it goes.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63