Help me save/root my optimus v

shssta

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I have been reading here for months now trying to figure out how to root my phone and I am no closer today than I was then, so I am going to ask for your help in my specific case.

Been having my v for a couple of years now and I have loved it. Its a tough rugged phone that can handled anything I have done to it and still work. I made the mistake of updating to the zv9 and have regretted it ever since. Before the update the only problem I had with the phone was that the usb would not recognize on my computer, ubuntu and xp pro. It worked when I first got the phone then one day it stopped giving me the usb option when plugged in. After the update I have had more and more issues popping up every day, from the battery randomly showing it is charging when not plugged in then rapidly draining to the alarm and clock being out of sync and waking me up at 1 am.

I am on the fence now. I want to keep the phone but not in its present state so I was thinking of trying to root it and if that fails then I guess Its time for a new one. I have tried the walkthroughs on here by transferring files through the sd card using a reader, but once they are on the phone I have no idea what to do with them. Can someone give me some ideas.

If you need any more info tell me what you need. I am not the most android savvy back end user but I am not scared to try anything here. I just need a push in the right direction.

shssta

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I have looked that one over for a while but with my phone unable to connect to the computer anymore I don't think I can do the adb part

ThatGuyLurkin

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
I can TeamViewer you if you want me to.

ADB, is really simple. Instead of installing the whole SDK, just take the ADB files. And also install Java JDK. From there this can be really easy

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
If he can even connect to a PC. Is it possible to get your hands on another data cable, just to rule out a short in the cable or something like that?

Or is ADB over network an option on stock?

shssta

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
If he can even connect to a PC. Is it possible to get your hands on another data cable, just to rule out a short in the cable or something like that?

Or is ADB over network an option on stock?

have been through several data cables, none fix the problem, think its on the phones end

upconvert

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I have looked that one over for a while but with my phone unable to connect to the computer anymore I don't think I can do the adb part

Could you use a terminal emulator app to do the adb part? I've never tried it, but I've seen it suggested as a workaround for roms with broken adb.

A-android-B

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I have been reading here for months now trying to figure out how to root my phone and I am no closer today than I was then, so I am going to ask for your help in my specific case.

Been having my v for a couple of years now and I have loved it. Its a tough rugged phone that can handled anything I have done to it and still work. I made the mistake of updating to the zv9 and have regretted it ever since. Before the update the only problem I had with the phone was that the usb would not recognize on my computer, ubuntu and xp pro. It worked when I first got the phone then one day it stopped giving me the usb option when plugged in. After the update I have had more and more issues popping up every day, from the battery randomly showing it is charging when not plugged in then rapidly draining to the alarm and clock being out of sync and waking me up at 1 am.

I am on the fence now. I want to keep the phone but not in its present state so I was thinking of trying to root it and if that fails then I guess Its time for a new one. I have tried the walkthroughs on here by transferring files through the sd card using a reader, but once they are on the phone I have no idea what to do with them. Can someone give me some ideas.

If you need any more info tell me what you need. I am not the most android savvy back end user but I am not scared to try anything here. I just need a push in the right direction.

You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain... some of the best (and probably worst) plays are made from this position :) best of luck root=awesomeness

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

shssta

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain... some of the best (and probably worst) plays are made from this position :) best of luck root=awesomeness

to be honest if i could just drop back to zv5 i would be happy, phone worked good enough until i updated to zv9, but i have always been interested in rooting

adamhos

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Have you downloaded the LG driver to your PC?
Can you connect your opv to internet?
I am pretty sure you can root without using a pc

adamhos

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
If you use Sammy's guide to unbrick, there are instructions for downgrading to zv5 using emergency mode. After that you can root with gingerbreak

A-android-B

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm on zv5 rooted by gingerbreak.apk but that exploit doesn't work on zv9. My gf is still stock zv4 and she's never going to upgrade lol. It does seem that I get slightly better reception everywhere I go but that could be the custom rom I'm running vs her stock setup. I've been scouring the net to no success. Would you happen to have an old slow USB hub? It may be worth a shot to connect to PC so you can root and go back to zv5.

shssta

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Have you downloaded the LG driver to your PC?
Can you connect your opv to internet?
I am pretty sure you can root without using a pc

yes have done the drivers several times it never recognizes that the phone is plugged in on xp, ubuntu doesnt pick it up either

shssta

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm on zv5 rooted by gingerbreak.apk but that exploit doesn't work on zv9. My gf is still stock zv4 and she's never going to upgrade lol. It does seem that I get slightly better reception everywhere I go but that could be the custom rom I'm running vs her stock setup. I've been scouring the net to no success. Would you happen to have an old slow USB hub? It may be worth a shot to connect to PC so you can root and go back to zv5.

connected directly to pc on all counts, even tried on a mac and a couple of other pcs just to be sure but not so much as a peep from any of them about a device being detected, it does charge in all instances though

A-android-B

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Try this enable USB debugging from developers menu then power down then hold volume down + home + power. Phone should Boot into recovery. Try plugging in USB and connecting to adb from here in the recovery.

A-android-B

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
connected directly to pc on all counts, even tried on a mac and a couple of other pcs just to be sure but not so much as a peep from any of them about a device being detected, it does charge in all instances though

I was meaning try the USB hub if you have one around somewhere. Some phones won't connect on high-speed USB ports all the time so with the hub in-between to slow things down it may work but I'd try to ADB while in recovery first

A-android-B

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
It sucks that you have to use ADB but you really need to because you aren't putting the files on your SD they are going on your phones internal memory and without root you don't have permission to really move anything anywhere but on the SD card. If you can get ADB though I'm sure ThatGuyLurkin can teamview you through the root process in minutes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12