Rooted but now Im not sure why VM670 2.2.1

dannyjoebrown

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I need some serious help here as I have read these forums and Im just lost

I have my Virgin Vm670 2.2.1 rooted, (I installed the java kit) (I installed the android kit) (Installed LG Driver mobile Kit ?) (Install the one clink thing with the trojan in it)

and from what Im seeing I am rooted, I did nothingwith cmd prompts just the things I listed above)

So Ihave th super user icon and I installed the free version of the busy box (do I need the pay version cause Im not sure what to do with it)

I only rooted to get rid of twitdroid svgr?? and those other programs I couldnt uninstall and now I have read somewhere else that the placement of these files are not undeletable because they are the same (Im guessing partition) as the OS and I cant delete them

So now Im rooting and I let this busy box have root rights

First is my phone now open to hackers everywhere or is my PC with the linux exploit now open season. Im just very confused now what I have done.

Now I read another thread here and someone posted

Boot into recovery.
Make Nandroid backup
Wipe Data/Factory Reset, Wipe System, Cache and Delvik Cache and Format Boot.
Install as normal install zip and reboot

DO I still need to all this and why am I doing this.

Basically am I deciphering this right, AM I doing all this above so I can flasha gingerbread ROM on this phone and Ill be a lil more updated and all those programs that version has forced on my phone will be gone with a different ROM

IF Im just throwing roms onto my phone, wont the writer of the flash have full access to my phone since Im not sure bout any of these files I have downloaded

Am I going anywhere in the right direction, I understand now I have total freedom but dang it dont feel like it, I havent freed up any room I havent got rid of any of the programs I wanted It just doesnt feel like a superuser LOL

What programs in the app world do I need to be looking at that will do something i Need for this phone (I mean what does busy box do acutally) I read the it I have the free installed but I dunno what

The phone is not even in service so If I decide to get service I gotta keep it froyo to turn it on and is that mainly what im doing putting gingerbread on a froyo

But I dont even know what Im doing next, I let one click root me so I havent done anything with command lines, I read the rooting and after thread and Im lost

With too high tech language, what is my goal here, will I be able to get all the preinstalled programs off my phone that I cant rightnow as a superuser, I have just opened up my PC and phone to hackers that can get right into my phone, get a little nervous when gingerbreak (one of the files in the one click zip) keeps setting off trojans ARE PRESENT alerts

I know all these answers are probably in this thread but I dont understand a lot of this stuff even though its seems pretty spelled out,

(is this right, Im gonna make a back up of something on SD card, then Im gonna do something with a rom to my phone and thats gonna do what ? upgrade 2.2.1 to something and do these upgrades mean getting rid of the twitdroid poynte svrd?? all those programs

ONCE I GO FOWARD IS THERE NO GOING BACK

A-android-B

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
There is definitely a way back to stock. Remember that. Now a choice, would you like to stay on the stock OS and just delete files with root browser by jrummy or would you like a faster phone with better battery life and super customizing only available in an aftermarket OS. (OS=operating system-often referred to as ROM in the phone world)

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

adamhos

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
You are on the right path, but you need to decide what you want
There are a lot of awesome roms here and its hard to pick one to favor
There are froyo roms that still have the activation app
Once you have activated I suggest downloading a gb rom to really enhance the feel of your phone
There is ics and jb which are both fun but don't flash those until you are more comfortable

If you have a custom recovery you are ready to flash, if not that's where you need to start

Flashing a rom is safe and don't feel vulnerable
have fun and ask questions! :D

A-android-B

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
And if you decide not to flash, Leslie Ann (bless her soul) wrote up a great piece in the stickies section it called"apk's their purpose and safe or unsafe to remove "

Conrail16

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Any way to root a phone involves by definition circumventing the security systems on the phone, so most anti-virus programs will flag them as malware, even though they're perfectly safe (If you don't trust me, Gingerbreak's source code is open, you can download it here as a tar.gz package to verify for yourself that it's safe).

Once you've rooted, you can install apps that allow you to get into the restricted areas of your phone. Root Explorer is one, there are others that are similar. Bloatware apps (like the crappy Twitter client), are located in /system/apps/, which is a folder off limits to a normal user, but when rooted you can delete things in there.

If all the above is foreign to you and you don't want to be messing around with Android maually, installing a custom rom that doesn't incude bloatware is probably easier. I recomend Harmonia 1, which can be found here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...1-87-froyo-aphrodite-picasticks-12june12.html.

A good guide for flashing a custom rom and recovery are here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...-how-simplified-root-recovery-custom-rom.html. It talks about flashing an Inferior Human Organs (Gngerbread) ROM, but the steps are all the same regardless of what you choose to flash.

dannyjoebrown

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
HI ALL Thanks

(would you like a faster phone with better battery life and super customizing only available in an aftermarket OS.) Yes this would be very cool since I went ahead and rooted it (and also get the other software also) but super customizing ( sounds great but all Im thinking is wall paper so Im not sure what that means but yes(

but first (If you have a custom recovery you are ready to flash, if not that's where you need to start) this is where I need to start, so is this the NANDROID backup or will the one click software make an image for me for the phone. ANd is this what I will be going back too if I screw something up,

so If Im looking at these aftermarket roms, where am I looking (ill search these forums but any quick links would be great) and some of these roms are FROYO (WHAT DOES THAT MEAN) that it will be my new OS and all the Virgin stuff will be gone but am I also able to put gingerbread OS on here now and Im basically needed space to install stuff so I guess I just need to pick and chose and
ANYTHING THAT I CAN AVOID HAVING TO DO CMD LINE LINUX CODING would be great

(ALSO I WILL READ - Leslie Ann (bless her soul) wrote up a great piece in the stickies section it called"apk's their purpose and safe or unsafe to remove )

ALso is this what I need to do before I put a rom on here
Boot into recovery.
Make Nandroid backup
Wipe Data/Factory Reset, Wipe System, Cache and Delvik Cache and Format Boot.
Install as normal install zip and reboot (WHICH LINE 3 sounds like forum language Delvik cache?)

and also any programs beside busy box(what ever thats doing) I need to get on here for control from the app store or I guess one step at a time

I need to make a recovery image and this image is stored on my sdcard is there an easy way to do this (if someone could just point to best easiest most understandable post on this that might not use words like delvik cache LOL)

Im sure once I understand this a little more Ill be glad I did this but right now Im EXCITED just not sure what to expect LOL

ALso thank u too Conrail (Your post go up while I was replying let me look over that too) (some other site said even rooted you cant delete the bloatware on a virgin LG since on the same (something as the OS) so Yes probably just get a differetn ROM

adamhos

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
From the custom recovery you can make your nandroid backup
And flash .zip files, which is what the roms will be

dannyjoebrown

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
OK i got both of these on my droid sd card now

Install custom recovery image

The recovery image is an alternative bootup instead of normal Android Operating System. It allows low-level operations such as backup/restore a ROM, wipe partitions, and flash ROMs.

4. Download and copy the recovery image VM670NH_recovery.img (works with new & old OV screens) onto your /sdcard.
5. Install the Flash Image GUI app (save the .apk to a /sdcard directory, then open it with file manager). Run the app & select 'Recovery Image' option with the file above.

and the jrummy lite file managerr i see everything hmm now im scared so all i need is the vm670nh recovery on the sd card and dont neede nothing to it and im just clicking on the flash image gui only for right now is this right

Conrail16

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
The recovery file just needs to be on the sd card. You'll use Flash Image GUI to write it to your phone. There'll be an option in Flash IMage GUI to flash a recovery and an option to flash a kernel. Ignore the kernel option, just focus of flashing the recovery. Select the VM670NH recovery in Flash Image GUI and hit the "Flash Image" button. You'll now have a custom recovery. To test if it worked, power off the phone, then hold down the power button, volume down, and home keys. You should boot into Clockworkmod recovery. If you don't, it didn't flash right.

Also, this would be a good time to download the rom you want to flash, and put it on the sd card. Don't unzip it, Android needs it to remain zipped.

dannyjoebrown

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
ok bout to start im gonna run this so i guess my data will get erases and all apps will be gone rigbht

i downloaded the zip you recommended in your first post and have it also in zip form on the hard drive

ill report if the back after clock test nervous

UPDATE SUCCESS into CWM now i cn flash this thing

Last edited:

dannyjoebrown

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
8. FIRST, BACKUP ORIGINAL ROM! Don't continue until this is successful. use vol-up/down, camera, & back keys to navigate in recovery.

is this what i just did with flashing a recovery or is something i need to do

Conrail16

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
No this is something you SHOULD definately do before wiping. This is called a Nandroid backup, and it is a complete backup of your current Android system, apps and all. If your ROM flash messes up for whatever reason, you can restore your Nandroid backup and everything will be fine. Personally, I always keep at least one Nandroid stored on my phone just in case.

After you make a Nandroid, do a factory reset in recovery; this wipes your phone. Then flash the ROM.

dannyjoebrown

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
oh hell so what happens if i dont have a nandroid but have the new system installed

---------- Post Merged at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:01 PM ----------

guess ill find out but so any time i want to change a rom i just use this procedure and i guess make a nandroid of that backup

---------- Post Merged at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:01 PM ----------

oh wow this is cool very clean all the bloat gone nice, with no nandroid backup its like the phone is brand new in a sense ally data is gone right or is this a much worse mistake

but hell yea ill be up all night playing with this.

guess next ill have to figure out to get better clock and faster speed (something that the first poster posted)

but i can start reloading my apps now right

A-android-B

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Congratulations! You sound like you are learning very fast. Just a few posts ago this was like a foreign language to you. You can make a nandroid whenever and more than one can be kept on your SD card

What do you mean by no data? The phone is not activated I thought you mentioned earlier. Wifi should work though.

dannyjoebrown

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
thank all of you for the help

data i meant my personal data (i dunno does a nandroid backup also save personal data in a backup yes no)

yep just using wifi but might have to turn it on (on froyo) and then see what gingerbread is about

this is very cool

nerdmastax

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

A-android-B

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
A nandroid is like a snapshot of your entire current setup minus the recovery. Your text conversations your phone call log your themes and tweaks your settings your apps, everything will be just as you left it. If you restore a nandroid it's like going back to that exact moment in time right when you made the nandroid.

dannyjoebrown

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Very cool, filled up my droid with stuff I wanted on it LOL. I have quite a droid folder growing . I got the back to stock zip downloaded (TY nerdmastx). Now I guess I gotta do some searching to find out what root type programs I want on the phone, Also gotta decide if I want to activate this phone or get a newer type droid from virgin (are ICS droids easy to root or does this process become harder the newer they are or if you were going to get a newer droid to root with ease that would have evenmore free memory, which one would you go with or are most about the same as the LG VM670.

Well I guess Ill look around these forums at roms and such and see what else i can do LOL

WE CAN CHANGE THE TITLE OF THE THREAD Rooted but now Im not sure why BUT NOW I DO KNOW WHY

thanks again and any other tidbits of help anyone wants to volunteer (IM listening) and if I were to donate to some rom folks is $1 or $2 considered good (since Im a po boy) or an insult (which I dont want to do)

nerdmastax

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
thanks again and any other tidbits of help anyone wants to volunteer (IM listening) and if I were to donate to some rom folks is $1 or $2 considered good (since Im a po boy) or an insult (which I dont want to do)

well i think any amount helps the devs, but sometimes it isnt just money that can help, i sent a repater to tvall that im sure is doing more good than just sending 15 bucks would... :D

if you want hit me up on google + and ill hop on a hangout and show you what i have found over time regarding these phones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge