How to Get more internal storage space Help

countmypennies

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I have a Virgin Mobile LG Optimus V and getting tired of not being able to install apps or installing apps and removing others cause I have no internal phone space right now it shows 18.6megs but in no time I get the low on space message when loading apps..
I've already moved all the apps I can to the SD card but just not enough. Could someone direct me or tell me a solution or can I purchase more memory ? anything? very frustrating not being able to use the phone for what apps I want..

by the way my phone is already rooted with gingerbreak if that makes a difference

gump45

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue for the last couple of months. Once you have root permission you need to partition the microSD card using another app. Partitioning the microSD card, so that you have at least two (2) partitions, will give you room to store apps on the card, instead of trying to cram it all into the tiny (less than 200-MB) space available on the phone itself. Once you have done that use another application, like Link2SD, that allows you to install more of your applications to the microSD card by creating links between the phone and the card, and keeping the apps on the card. I think I got that right. Here's the opening text from the Link2SD application page: "Link2SD is an application that makes it easy for Android 1.6+ users with root privileges on their phone to move applications to the SD card."

I am still researching these for myself, so I can't guide you there. I already have Link2SD installed (you can find it in the Google Play store, play.google.com. I still need to find a partition manager to use.

Hope this helps point you in the right direction.

adamhos

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
What size and class sd do you have
There are custom roms that utilize scipts to mount your sd to your internal memory as well as link2sd

You will need to format your sd accordingly and partition with an ext3 or 4
If you can set aside 1 gig for ext4, you can have that as internal storage

However a higher class sd is recommended as it can talk better with your phone

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
After gump's suggestion, you'll need to learn how to install a ROM onto your phone. Look at LeslieAnn's sticky for more details, and read it carefully. Trust me, it works, but you'll need to set aside enough time to do this... perhaps at least two to three hours. Keep a PC open while you do it so you can ask some questions here. My personal suggestion for a good, stable ROM for the V is either MiRage 7.2 (my personal favorite) or Harmonia 2.

adamhos

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Is there any step by step guides for this process I can refer to? I don't want to brick the phone doing this..

Do you have a custom recovery?
Youll want that first
Cwm blue or xionia or teamwin or cot
When you have that make a nandroid backup from recovery
Then backup your sd to your pc
Once your backups are complete,
Format your sd
Then you can partition (ext 4 1gig) with your recovery menu or through your pc with mini partition tool(google it)
Once you have partitioned, copy your sd backup back to your sd
Then from recovery wipe system, data, cache, and dalvik cache
Install (flash) rom.zip of your choice
Flash gapps
Reboot
Reboot again
Then log in, sync, add your apps and settings
Enjoy

adamhos

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
The rom i linked to above has a nice description of the process as well,
If you need help ask or search the forum and check stickies!

bjzapp

Where did u hear tht word
Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a custom recovery?
Youll want that first
Cwm blue or xionia or teamwin or cot
When you have that make a nandroid backup from recovery
Then backup your sd to your pc
Once your backups are complete,
Format your sd
Then you can partition (ext 4 1gig) with your recovery menu or through your pc with mini partition tool(google it)
Once you have partitioned, copy your sd backup back to your sd
Then from recovery wipe system, data, cache, and dalvik cache
Install (flash) rom.zip of your choice
Flash gapps
Reboot
Reboot again
Then log in, sync, add your apps and settings
Enjoy

is this really true?...
you have to wipe the system, data, and everything else and re-flash the ROM just to partition the card?
I thought that the Recovery could take care of that and just had to format the SD then re-copy from a computer...
Then use the Link2SD app to recgonize or find the partition.
Obviously I have not done this as of yet, but would like to
thx:)

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
is this really true?...
you have to wipe the system, data, and everything else and re-flash the ROM just to partition the card?
I thought that the Recovery could take care of that and just had to format the SD then re-copy from a computer...
Then use the Link2SD app to recgonize or find the partition.
Obviously I have not done this as of yet, but would like to
thx:)

You're correct. The user he was responding to gave no details about their current setup, first impressions is that they don't have a custom recovery or ROM.

webbos

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem as the OP. I rooted and installed Harmonia 2. All was well, and I went from 12MB internal storage free to 120MB free :)

But, now I hit another issue even with all that storage free. I now get an insufficient storage error when trying to download apps from the Play store. From doing some reading I've tracked it down to the fact that my /cache/download directory only has 10Mb free. Looking in Link2SD it's set to be 110MB and I'm using 100MB of it. Will following the above instructions of creating the second partition on the SD card help out at all ? If not, anyone have any ideas ? As I assume the OP might eventually have this issue too.

Locool676

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem as the OP. I rooted and installed Harmonia 2. All was well, and I went from 12MB internal storage free to 120MB free :)

But, now I hit another issue even with all that storage free. I now get an insufficient storage error when trying to download apps from the Play store. From doing some reading I've tracked it down to the fact that my /cache/download directory only has 10Mb free. Looking in Link2SD it's set to be 110MB and I'm using 100MB of it. Will following the above instructions of creating the second partition on the SD card help out at all ? If not, anyone have any ideas ? As I assume the OP might eventually have this issue too.

This issue is from not only a full download cache, but a full Dalvik Cache. If you look over to the Harmonia 2 thread, I've got some fixes going on to alleviate this problem.

Here's my post. Feel free to do what I've mentioned, and try out the new A2SD++ script that I've looked into.

webbos

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the link and suggestions. I installed the A2SD++ script. Initially caused a load of FC's, which were fixed with a reboot. The data folder was moved successfully, and the /cache/download folder was reduced by 50 Mb (a good thing). But, there was a definite slow down in the phone's responsiveness (probably due to stuff being on the sd card now. Also all of my apps that I had previously moved to the sd card were now broken (said they weren't installed). So, I think that I'll try and find a solution to just move the whole cache folder to the sd card, and not mess with moving the data folder, which wasn't a major issue for me anyway.

adamhos

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I don't use a2sd, I use the d2sd and have had very good luck with it
Once in a while it will break certain roms but for the most part I never run out of space

Sent from my VM670 using Android Central Forums

Kim Kurz

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
How do you get the partition thing for the microSD card? Like what do you search? My phone says it'd low on space like as soon as i get on the internet or install an app and I don't even have anything on my phone. No apps no games.. what do i do to make this stop happening?

EarthnFire78

YAY!!! ME :)
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
How do you get the partition thing for the microSD card? Like what do you search? My phone says it'd low on space like as soon as i get on the internet or install an app and I don't even have anything on my phone. No apps no games.. what do i do to make this stop happening?

Are you rooted, if not what does the baseband version say under Settings > About phone?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge