Making Room in /System...

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I've been interested in getting Google Now to work in ICS, but I haven't been that vigilant in trying until recently. Here's a thread on how to do it:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1747224

So, according to this thread, the key to getting it to work is freeing up 30 MB on the /system partition. This is proving to be more than a little difficult. I'm running Bobz CM9.1 right now, and I can only get about 20 MB freed up. I've moved all ringtones, alarms, and notification sounds to the SD-card. I've removed some unnecessary system apps. I'm struggling to find anything else to remove.

So here's my question: what else can be safely moved/removed from the /system partition? Or, alternatively, is there another ICS ROM that has more free space available in the /system partition?

This space intentionally left blank.

thekraven

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Get rid of most of the fonts. There's a small droidsansfallback.ttf in my alpha 17f you can use. Or compare font folders. It just drops Japanese and Chinese letters. I think I had around 25 mb without removing anything else. Another place is tts folder, keep English only. And try my ics gapps. Get rid of wallpapers and find the smallest latinime.apk.

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Get rid of most of the fonts. There's a small droidsansfallback.ttf in my alpha 17f you can use. Or compare font folders. It just drops Japanese and Chinese letters. I think I had around 25 mb without removing anything else. Another place is tts folder, keep English only. And try my ics gapps. Get rid of wallpapers and find the smallest latinime.apk.

Awesome, thanks for the tips! I think I removed the wallpapers already, but I'll double check. The other methods are gonna take a bit more time, so I'll report back after work. Thanks again!

I got mine up to 34MBs, but Google Now didnt open for me. So i gave up on it.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, it's not something super important to me, just something that I'm curious to try. But thanks for the heads up, and if I get it to work, I'll let you know what I did.

This space intentionally left blank.

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I finally freed up enough space in the system partition. I ended up using TheKraven's Cold As Ice ROM. I tried to put parts of it in BobZhome's CM9.1, but it wasn't working out for me. CAI just has more free space in /system to start with, so it was easier to trim it down. I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried it out yet. It's impressive! Time to try installing Google Now! Finally...

Badboytoast

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
If you look In Bobz cm10 thread someone posted a more them 90% working Google now! Sorry can't remember his name :D but the quick searchbox .apk its only about 4.5mb and scrolling work!! Is. Using it now!!

upconvert

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I can't do it until voice search works. Otherwise I'm gonna have to explain to my wife that google now is like siri, but better and faster, except voice search doesn't work yet.

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
If you look In Bobz cm10 thread someone posted a more them 90% working Google now! Sorry can't remember his name :D but the quick searchbox .apk its only about 4.5mb and scrolling work!! Is. Using it now!!

Awesome! But I imagine that method doesn't work for CM9. I'd love to be running CM10, but there's a few bugs holding me back. The RIL issue is annoying, and every time I try to install SwiftKey, I get a force close on system settings. I've checked the md5, reinstalled several times with different downloads. Oh well.