18 Months Later - Rehacking the V

adamhos

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
But but.... It's newer and soooo shiny! It just has to be better! Lol

Honesty just make a nandroid backup and try out as many roms as you like until you find one that suits your needs.

Tapatalk'n it from my Cold As Ice VM670 running LS670ZVJ firmware

Well yeah...who doesn't want the blingiest bling:D

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

slickestsauce

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Well I went with the Mirage CM7.2. The camera is MUCH improved over what I had, battery life is improved, and there's less lag all around. I still can't get MMS to work, but that's no different than the last couple years so oh well. CAI is next on my "To Do" list.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Well I went with the Mirage CM7.2. The camera is MUCH improved over what I had, battery life is improved, and there's less lag all around. I still can't get MMS to work, but that's no different than the last couple years so oh well. CAI is next on my "To Do" list.

Mms works on MiRaGe. Make sure the area code is in the recipient's number. It's required for mms

slickestsauce

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Tried the area code change and still no dice. I'm using handcent btw... I have it sent to auto-download MMS messages, but it still just shows a "download" box in the person's dialog which changes to a little grey "downloading" after I click it... about 10 minutes later the download clicker comes back... lather rinse repeat continues this loop. My stock texting app does the same thing.

Downloaded APN manager and turned it on without changing any settings. No difference.

Sneaky_1

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Tried the area code change and still no dice. I'm using handcent btw... I have it sent to auto-download MMS messages, but it still just shows a "download" box in the person's dialog which changes to a little grey "downloading" after I click it... about 10 minutes later the download clicker comes back... lather rinse repeat continues this loop. My stock texting app does the same thing.

Downloaded APN manager and turned it on without changing any settings. No difference.
WiFi or 3g?

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
tried with both wifi and 3g on individually and together. Nothing.

I'm a bit stumped... I'm not even running Virgin Mobile firmware and mms works on MiRaGe.. Something has to be amiss but I'm not sure what...

slickestsauce

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I didn't want to call Virgin until I tried everything I could on my end. I'm trying to find out the complete APN settings to try punching in with APN Manager, but after that calling Virgin is my last resort. In the back of my mind I'm worried that they'd somehow poll my phone and find out I'm running a modded ROM.

RT78

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
It could be a virgin issue, have you called them and have them reset your account.

I have never called VM about an issue I was having with a ROM. I wouldn't suggest it. I don't think they would find out what you've done, but I'm not sure enough to chance it.
Also, I would reboot into your recovery, navigate the menu to make a backup (which is called a nandroid backup), then download and flash CAI. Run CAI for awhile and see if MMS works for you. If it does then great! If it doesn't (or, for some reason you don't like it) reboot back into your recovery, navigate the menu to restore, and just select the backup you made earlier. Your phone will magically go back in time to when you made the backup using Mirage and everything will be like it was. It's all good! (except for the nonworking MMS in Mirage) :confused:

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Can you check if mms works in stock rom just to be sure? If it's not working in stock then it's definitely vm and you can call them about it

Sneaky_1

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I have had my account reset while on a custom ROM before (mirage). They might have you run through the whole ##virgin# but you just tell them' OK, OK, hold on, blah blah blah.'.

But I agree if your issue persists even on 2.2, it is probably an issue on virgins end, or an issue between carriers of the mms, if it is only happening coming from one phone/carrier.

slickestsauce

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I may have figured out why MMS isn't working. When I got the new memory card I put it into the phone (a 2.3.3 build with MMS nonfunctional), then I copy/pasted my old memory card to the new one via my computer. After that it was a Ti Backup, then the new ROM (yes, I did all the wiping except for SD card). When I was restoring things with Ti I thought I was being pretty careful - only restoring data for the updated apps, and only restoring apps+data when it wasn't already on the phone. I didn't even restore anything related to system settings. Could I have somehow imported the wrong thing that somehow jacked the proper settings for MMS? Perhaps Handcent?

Hopefully calling Virgin to restart service is going to fix it, but if not my solution is to wipe the card completely and start from scratch. Save a FEW things manually, like my contacts, bookmarks, music, pictures, swiftkey3/Swype info, etc... but basically start fresh and reinstall all the apps from the wild.

However, since this is just the interim until I try CAI I'm going to run it for a bit longer then switch out; MMS isn't my primary concern at the moment. I absolutely LOVE the battery life with Mirage. Right now I've got my phone in marathon mode. I'm at 25 hours unplugged and 91% power remaining; this is with NO data/gps and a mostly-constant signal. No live wallpaper, no animations. 51% standby, 47% idle, 3% display. 3800mah (supposedly) battery. Tomorrow is the real test when I'm at work; I'm in and out of coverage regularly, usually have music playing, and spend a lot of time using the data connection. Compared to my old setup (with the same battery) it seems to be noticeably more frugal on the power. Then again, it may be because I got rid of google goggles just yesterday when I found it was sucking down roughly half my energy even after it'd been closed.

I'm looking forward to CAI - I saw a video highlighting changes between GB and ICS that showed a feature to restrict data transmission by program. I don't WANT my game scores to be uploaded to a central server (or most of my other information, for that matter).

Sneaky_1

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Restoring data with ti backup is never as good idea between roms. I would try a full wipe, system,data,cache,internal storage, davlik. Then a fresh download and reflash, then check MMS without installing any apps. That will rule out any faulty data from restoring. Between ROMs I only restore apps, no app data or system apps/data.