Optimus V - Not Charging on Attempted Upgrades to ICS and JB using BobZHome's ROMs

hapworth

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Hey Everyone!

I'm kind of a n00b, so I apologize. I tried looking around but wonder if I'm a strange one off case. I know a few people have had issues with batteries charging really slow and it might have been a ton of apps running in the background, bad cables, etc...

Going to try to get as detailed as possible and spin a bit of a yarn, in an effort to kill off any solutions I've tried already...

First off, I've had this phone for quite awhile. For the first few months, I didn't even use the USB Cable they gave me (relied on the Wall Charger instead) only to find out way too late that for some really irritating reason, it doesn't get recognized as a USB device. I've tried different cables (that have worked with other devices) and different machines (three different PCs (2 Running Windows, 1 Running Ubuntu), and a Mac). It was a very odd type of irritating knowing that a charge can run down the cable, but not data for some reason (and I've tried all of the USB Debugging toggle business). I had all but given up on the prospect of doing fun things like rooting my phone until I ran into the likes of Gingerbreak and went down that road. Even after that, I delayed awhile before I ventured into messing with ROMs... which started last night.

Excited at the idea of running Jelly Bean on this phone that feels like it's been on its last legs, I read (and re-read) all of the instructions. I went out and purchased an 8gb MicroSD card to setup one of these fancy sd-ext partitions. I had ClockworkMod already running from my previous forays into invalidating any warranty that may have still stuck around and wiped and rewiped and formatted everything. I first tried using Clockwork to create the partition on the card (1gb if you're wondering, 0 swap) and kept getting errors about not being able to mount it. Frustrated and remembering my laptop has an SD Slot, I threw it on, used gparted and changed it into an ext3 partition (versus the 4, which I might have erroneously read somewhere may be a culprit with some ROMs or apps or whathaveyou. Apparently it only kind of matters and probably isn't my issue here...)

I trudged forward, having downloaded the ROMs and modified GApps from Bob's links from his site. I Flashed both, I rebooted, I waited...

Beautiful, hypnotic boot screen. Wasn't as long as Bob's own estimate (8 minutes he says? Mine got okay around 5!). I was customizing, downloading apps that I normally couldn't due to a very low version before. I was playing, having fun...

Then the battery warning came on. I need to plug it in... but it is plugged in. Hrm. Tried the Wall Charger... again, battery kept dwindling, no lightning bolt. Telling me to plug the damn thing it. It IS in!!

Frustrated, rebooted, and rebooted. Learned that if it's plugged in and you tell it to Power Off, this ROM will do a full reboot (instead of the stock charging-only screen) if it's plugged in. So it just went back to the Login screen telling me to plug it in.

But if I Powered it off Unplugged, it would NOT do it. Weird, right?

So I rebooted into recovery mode (which involved me powering off unplugged... the Reboot into Recovery option didn't seem to work for me...) and plugged it in there. I even tried wiping the Battery Cache thing. After waiting a bit, booted up like normal... IT TOOK SOME OF THE CHARGE! But then continued to complain and wouldn't eat it's tasty meal-o-bolts.

I gave up. I restored my previous installation (like all the guides told me to do with Nandroid)... waited for the old screen I grew sick of... and... charging works. Battery, everything.

Maybe... MAYBE it was just for CM10? It is considered Alpha, no? Maybe I'll have better luck with CM9?

Nope. Same issue.

Anyone have any ideas? Does Android 4+ check for some USB thing before allowing it to charge? How does it handle Wall Chargers? Should I try someone else's ROM? Is there a place I can poke around on my phone to give up some more clues and maybe (gasp) even figure out why the hell my USB Cable doesn't work in general for data?

I'm desperate guys. Please bestow wisdom and knowledge upon me! Thank you!

UPDATE: So while playing with ics, I had it plugged in via USB cable and though even on the Battery Screen under Settings it said "Discharging", I refreshed and the time left before it going kaput went up by a mere seconds! Going to try jb again and see if something similar happens...

UPDATE 2: Apparently, I'm an idiot and can't read. That was just telling me how long I've been using the battery. I'm at 2% right now, going to shut it off and try again in the morning, hopefully with enough juice to try any solutions anyone may have?

Last edited:

atrain2324

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
bad usb cable? there are two types of the wall charger. one is the plain wall charger. the other is a wall charger, but it comes with the plug head and a USB connector at the bottom. If you have that, try that and see what happens. If nothing, you got a bad usb cable.

And as far as USB mass storage. On Bob's CM9, you have to also enable "ADB over Network" in Debugging...for me I didn't have to when I connected it to an ancient XP machine, but had to on Windows 7 and 8. On CM10, it's hit or miss. I can't do it on mine, I'm sure others can. ADB over Network has to be enabled too.

hapworth

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Hey atrain,

I've tried several different cables... I only have straight USB Cables or a Charger... as in not a plain USB cable that has an attachment for the wall...

I've tried at least 3 different USB Cables... all of which I regularly use with other devices and they work perfectly (A Kobo Touch, the USB Cable that came with my Optimus V, another I had lying around from an old External HD). I've tried all of these plugged into a Desktop running XP, and a Laptop running Ubuntu.

As for Chargers, I've used the one that came with my phone, another for my friend's Kindle Fire, and another for my niece's Samsung Galaxy S3.

All of these charge fine with the stock ROM but none work for data. Nothing "sees" the phone. Nothing AT ALL (Charging and Data) works on CM9/10...

Again, n00b here... how can ADB help me? What would I be looking for?

Repeat though, I've pretty much given up all hope for using the USB Connection for Data. I just want to know if I can have either CM9/10 and have it charge. That would be more than enough for me. If any of these also jars the data back into working, that would be amazing but again... not necessary!

Thanks.

_alexkta

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Hey Everyone!

I'm kind of a n00b, so I apologize. I tried looking around but wonder if I'm a strange one off case. I know a few people have had issues with batteries charging really slow and it might have been a ton of apps running in the background, bad cables, etc...

Going to try to get as detailed as possible and spin a bit of a yarn, in an effort to kill off any solutions I've tried already...

First off, I've had this phone for quite awhile. For the first few months, I didn't even use the USB Cable they gave me (relied on the Wall Charger instead) only to find out way too late that for some really irritating reason, it doesn't get recognized as a USB device. I've tried different cables (that have worked with other devices) and different machines (three different PCs (2 Running Windows, 1 Running Ubuntu), and a Mac). It was a very odd type of irritating knowing that a charge can run down the cable, but not data for some reason (and I've tried all of the USB Debugging toggle business). I had all but given up on the prospect of doing fun things like rooting my phone until I ran into the likes of Gingerbreak and went down that road. Even after that, I delayed awhile before I ventured into messing with ROMs... which started last night.

Excited at the idea of running Jelly Bean on this phone that feels like it's been on its last legs, I read (and re-read) all of the instructions. I went out and purchased an 8gb MicroSD card to setup one of these fancy sd-ext partitions. I had ClockworkMod already running from my previous forays into invalidating any warranty that may have still stuck around and wiped and rewiped and formatted everything. I first tried using Clockwork to create the partition on the card (1gb if you're wondering, 0 swap) and kept getting errors about not being able to mount it. Frustrated and remembering my laptop has an SD Slot, I threw it on, used gparted and changed it into an ext3 partition (versus the 4, which I might have erroneously read somewhere may be a culprit with some ROMs or apps or whathaveyou. Apparently it only kind of matters and probably isn't my issue here...)

I trudged forward, having downloaded the ROMs and modified GApps from Bob's links from his site. I Flashed both, I rebooted, I waited...

Beautiful, hypnotic boot screen. Wasn't as long as Bob's own estimate (8 minutes he says? Mine got okay around 5!). I was customizing, downloading apps that I normally couldn't due to a very low version before. I was playing, having fun...

Then the battery warning came on. I need to plug it in... but it is plugged in. Hrm. Tried the Wall Charger... again, battery kept dwindling, no lightning bolt. Telling me to plug the damn thing it. It IS in!!

Frustrated, rebooted, and rebooted. Learned that if it's plugged in and you tell it to Power Off, this ROM will do a full reboot (instead of the stock charging-only screen) if it's plugged in. So it just went back to the Login screen telling me to plug it in.

So I rebooted into recovery mode (which involved me powering off unplugged... the Reboot into Recovery option didn't seem to work for me...) and plugged it in there. I even tried wiping the Battery Cache thing. After waiting a bit, booted up like normal... IT TOOK SOME OF THE CHARGE! But then continued to complain and wouldn't eat it's tasty meal-o-bolts.

I gave up. I restored my previous installation (like all the guides told me to do with Nandroid)... waited for the old screen I grew sick of... and... charging works. Battery, everything.

Maybe... MAYBE it was just for CM10? It is considered Alpha, no? Maybe I'll have better luck with CM9?

Nope. Same issue.

Anyone have any ideas? Does Android 4+ check for some USB thing before allowing it to charge? How does it handle Wall Chargers? Should I try someone else's ROM? Is there a place I can poke around on my phone to give up some more clues and maybe (gasp) even figure out why the hell my USB Cable doesn't work in general for data?

UPDATE: So while playing with ics, I had it plugged in via USB cable and though even on the Battery Screen under Settings it said "Discharging", I refreshed and the time left before it going kaput went up by a mere seconds! Going to try jb again and see if something similar happens...

UPDATE 2: Apparently, I'm an idiot and can't read. That was just telling me how long I've been using the battery. I'm at 2% right now, going to shut it off and try again in the morning, hopefully with enough juice to try any solutions anyone may have?

Hmm, same thing happened to me on every CM7.2 ROM, I tried them all and none of them would charge, but I flashed Bobz ICS ROM and it worked, and right now I'm on Bobz CM10 and charging is fine, maybe revert back to your backup and fully charge it and try a different rom like CM9 or CM7.2 to see if it works

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

atrain2324

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Hey atrain,

I've tried several different cables... I only have straight USB Cables or a Charger... as in not a plain USB cable that has an attachment for the wall...

I've tried at least 3 different USB Cables... all of which I regularly use with other devices and they work perfectly (A Kobo Touch, the USB Cable that came with my Optimus V, another I had lying around from an old External HD). I've tried all of these plugged into a Desktop running XP, and a Laptop running Ubuntu.

As for Chargers, I've used the one that came with my phone, another for my friend's Kindle Fire, and another for my niece's Samsung Galaxy S3.

All of these charge fine with the stock ROM but none work for data. Nothing "sees" the phone. Nothing AT ALL (Charging and Data) works on CM9/10...

Again, n00b here... how can ADB help me? What would I be looking for?

Repeat though, I've pretty much given up all hope for using the USB Connection for Data. I just want to know if I can have either CM9/10 and have it charge. That would be more than enough for me. If any of these also jars the data back into working, that would be amazing but again... not necessary!

Thanks.

On CM9...especially with Bob's version. To get USB Mass Storage, especially on Windows 7/8 (if you have a Mac, you can pretty much give up right there, the file systems used by Android are unreadable to Apple), you need the updated drivers for Android 4.0.4/4.1.2, which are not preloaded on the phone (the preloaded drivers are for Froyo/Gingerbread). Here is the link/tutorial for it.

Once that is done (you no longer need to delete those files in that link). Go to Settings-->Developer Options

Make sure Developer Options is switched on. If not, toggle it on. Scroll down a little bit, you will a section called "Debugging." Make sure "Android Debugging" AND "USB debugging notify" are checked. If they are not, check it. I honestly have no idea what it does, but whatever makes USB Mass Storage Mode works is fine by me.

Once that is done, you can go back to your homescreen, hook it up to your laptop or PC. Then pull down your notification bar. Click on the debugging notification. It will take you back to the Debugging Options. From there, check "ADB Over Network." Again, no idea what it does, all I know is that on CM9 (Bob's version), it causes a new "Removable Disk" on My Computer but is inaccessible. After that is done, you can exit out of there, pull down your notifications and enable Mass Storage from that notification.

It's worked for me every time on Bob's CM9, but for CM10...it doesn't work for me. I'm forced to use Wifi File Transfer Pro to do more or less the same thing, but without a cable.

And once again, if you have a Mac, don't even bother. It just won't work. Maybe Apple's way of sending a giant middle finger to us Android users...

atrain2324

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
if all else fails. i would reflash either ROM. But in recovery, wipe everything at least twice. And then try again.

hapworth

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Hey atrain,

Thanks for the quick reply! A quick note of clarification, I've NEVER been able to get my Optimus V to connect with a computer via USB Cables. I don't own a Mac and mostly run either Ubuntu or XP boxes. I tried installing the drivers from LG in the past but... no machine seems to see it!

So to clarify, are you saying that despite nothing being able to see my phone (even on the stock ROM, straight outta the box), this has a chance of reviving it?

I'm currently on the move now, just want to know if it's worth a shot or likely to be a waste of time. Was this a solution to a bug my phone has been experiencing that others may have run into? (I haven't been able to find anyone else with this specific issue, unfortunately).

Thanks!

On CM9...especially with Bob's version. To get USB Mass Storage, especially on Windows 7/8 (if you have a Mac, you can pretty much give up right there, the file systems used by Android are unreadable to Apple), you need the updated drivers for Android 4.0.4/4.1.2, which are not preloaded on the phone (the preloaded drivers are for Froyo/Gingerbread). Here is the link/tutorial for it.

Once that is done (you no longer need to delete those files in that link). Go to Settings-->Developer Options

Make sure Developer Options is switched on. If not, toggle it on. Scroll down a little bit, you will a section called "Debugging." Make sure "Android Debugging" AND "USB debugging notify" are checked. If they are not, check it. I honestly have no idea what it does, but whatever makes USB Mass Storage Mode works is fine by me.

Once that is done, you can go back to your homescreen, hook it up to your laptop or PC. Then pull down your notification bar. Click on the debugging notification. It will take you back to the Debugging Options. From there, check "ADB Over Network." Again, no idea what it does, all I know is that on CM9 (Bob's version), it causes a new "Removable Disk" on My Computer but is inaccessible. After that is done, you can exit out of there, pull down your notifications and enable Mass Storage from that notification.

It's worked for me every time on Bob's CM9, but for CM10...it doesn't work for me. I'm forced to use Wifi File Transfer Pro to do more or less the same thing, but without a cable.

And once again, if you have a Mac, don't even bother. It just won't work. Maybe Apple's way of sending a giant middle finger to us Android users...

hapworth

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
alexkta,

Thanks for the input and man, is this frustrating or what! I will give this a shot when I have an hour or two to kill soon. Currently on the move. Thanks for the input!

I wish there was a way to pinpoint what exactly is going on. Like, if I were to post some logs or something (from somewhere?) will I be able to get some more insight from the class? :).

Thanks!

Hmm, same thing happened to me on every CM7.2 ROM, I tried them all and none of them would charge, but I flashed Bobz ICS ROM and it worked, and right now I'm on Bobz CM10 and charging is fine, maybe revert back to your backup and fully charge it and try a different rom like CM9 or CM7.2 to see if it works

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

henrikb

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Hey,

you are not crazy, you're not alone, it is unlikely that it is your charger/cable [you'll get lots of reply about that because people just want to help out]. I had the same problems back in June-Aug 2012 trying to flash the Quattrimus 4.0 ROM. It did not work in any mode, on or off etc. I could only charge it in stock 2.2 ROM (still using that) and in some other 2.x custom ROMs. A small number of others reported to have the same problem, but not enough to catch any attention. Eventually, after heaps of very serious troubleshooting, I gave up. I don't have a solution, but still hope that someone with low-level driver/kernel knowledge can have a look at this or at least give some intelligent feedback.

Have a look at my Post #2892 in thread '[ROM][BETA] Quattrimus ICS' and make sure to follow by links back to my original post, because there you find a lot of details.

To solve this, my only suggestion is to start collecting exact phone details from people experiencing this problem.

Sneaky_1

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried a CM7.2 rom? Personally I would give mirage a try. If it works, flash achep's ICS theme for the look, and still have the functionality/stability of cm7.

henrikb

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
as you noticed earlier, if all else fails and you still want to use the rom, charging should work ok in recovery. you just don't get a meter.

Can you confirm verbatim details on which Recovery you can charge your LG Optimus V? That would help us with troubleshooting, because, at least for me, which has the same no-charging problems as in the OP, can *not* charge in recovery. I have tested with Cannibal Open Touch v1.2 (also tried with ClockworkMod v3.2.0.1 and Xionia CWMA v1.2518.6). See Post #7384 (thread 'ARCHIVED: [ROM][ALPHA] quattrimus ICS'). The only way to charge is to flash back the stock ROM (or a few other Android 2.x custom ROMs).

Just to clarify: I am aware that there is no charge bar in most recoveries, but even so, the phone does not charge; it does indeed discharge even when plugged in and in recovery.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
hmmm.
cannibal and xionia are optimus s recoveries.
i actually use ported p500 recoveries i stuck a stock optimus v recovery kernel into.
in the op of the blackscreen sticky are a couple recoveries patched with the same stock kernel if you want to test.
your usb port on the phone might be defective too.

bokoxthexchocobo

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I've had this problem once, on a Rom I was testing out. In the end, it was the rom causing it not to be recognized.

Lol try mirage as suggested above. It really is an awesome rom. Personally I like Gingersnap 2.3, but when TGL finishes fixing the bugs (if he ever does) IcySnap, I will definitely upgrade!

As for recoveries, I never had a problem with TeamWins's Recovery Project. Its been ported to the OV. Its the best Noob friendly full touch recovery out there.

kjmott

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
just thought I would jump in to say I am one of the people who had this same problem. I never found a fix and I just stuck with 7.2 with the ics theme. It works okay but after having a nexus 7 with JB I would really love to have ICS but doubt it will ever happen.

itzpremix

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hey Everyone!

Nope. Same issue.

Hey man. I think I might have a permanent solution for you. I am in your exact situation and completely sympathize with you. What I've learned how to do is to just purchase a separate battery charger (portable) and spare batteries. This way, your phone's charging issue is completely eliminated because you're charging the battery separately. Look on Amazon and research good portable battery chargers and lg ov batteries. As for data transfer, mac or not, purchase or rip Dropspot from the market. Free version is limited to 5 mbs giving/receiving. Hope this seriously helps.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

vector84an

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I posted this over in the IcySnap thread, but I don't think it really belongs here, so I'm moving it here... along with a few more random thoughts...

Original Post:

Have you tried charging with a fast charge kernel in fast charge mode?

Beyond that... I remember reading some stuff on this awhile ago - in some very rare instances Optimus V hardware seemingly isn't compatible with the ZVJ based charging code that's used in almost all new roms (inside the kernel / boot.img) - the only real solution I ever saw was using 100% ZVD or prior based boot.img code - which isn't easy to find, afaik even the new OptiV specific roms use the ZVJ charging code so they can run fast charge mode...

PS: I stumbled onto these threads awhile ago after I managed to get my OptiS into this state - getting it into this state involved a lot of quick cycling of fast charge mode and my usb cable... and tbh I'm still not sure how exactly I've managed to trigger this state in the past, since I've never gotten it when I was actively seeking to initiate it...
However, on my OptiS, getting it out of this state is easy: unplugging the phone, ticking fast charge on, wait 10 seconds, tick fast charge off, wait 30 seconds, replug phone.

(I don't expect this to work for you... just figured I'd share my experiences, and sorry for cluttering up a non-relevant thread!)

Some other thoughts:

I remember reading something about new Vs being shipped out with other pieces of optiS hardware inside, not just the screen - have you tried any optiS roms with a V patch?
(ex. thekraven's roms all use ZVD baseband with ZVJ charging code and they should enter offline charging mode too frequently, rather than not at all)

Did you ever get anything showing up in logcat ? Cable events not even firing?

What kernels / recoveries do actually charge? Because if you're running MiRaGe successfully... custom builds with working charge should, at least in theory, be possible if you can nail down what the specific problem is, though without access to the actual hardware that can be rather a chore...

And one final thought: reboot to recovery not working... indicates something really strange is afoot, I think?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon