Messed up SD card after using MiniTool Partition Wizard

nutmeg07

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
So I'm not sure what exactly I did, but I screwed up my SD card royaly!

I was trying to format it to work with Links2SD, but was being wonky about it, and somehow ended up messing up the SD card. Phone simply says "Removed SD Card: SD Card Removed. Insert a new one."

In Recovery (I have CWM v1.2518.4), if I go to mount sd card, I get "E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0.. invalid argument, error mounting SDCard." Same with formatting SD card, I get "Error mounting /sdcard/!"

When I hook up my phone to the computer, and go to mount USB storage in Recovery, the computer seems to see it. I have a mac (I was using a borrowed computer when I ran minitool partition wizard), and under Disk Utility the SD card shows up. Weirdly though, it shows up as 7GB when really it is 16. I've tried reformatting it into two FAT32 partitions (which I think is what it was before when I was using it properly), but still when I reset, phone doesn't see it.

Recovering data isn't an issue - I backed up before fiddling. I just want to know if I'm out of an SD card, or if there is still hope.

Thanks!

-Megan

(P.S. - I have Optimus V flashed with Harmonia 2 )

adamhos

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
From my experience you are gonna need to use a card reader and wipe all partitions using mini partition tool
I think you can do this in the disk management built in to some windows( not sure which ones but pretty sure xp has it)
Then you will need to reformat the card and set up your partitions again

Sent from my HTC 3VO

nutmeg07

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the advice Adam. But when I tried to fix the card in mini partition tool, it wouldn't let me do anything - it just said "bad disk" and didn't give me any options to re-partition (everything greyed out).

adamhos

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
If its in the phone it won't work if its f'd up
You need to use a card reader....or get a new sd

Sent from my HTC 3VO

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
FYI
If anybody else messes up their SD card using Mini Tool Partiton Wizard, either trying to partition or by using one of the wipe options, there is a utility program called BootIt that will straighten everything out and allow you to use your SD card in your phone again. Follow the prompts and agree to everything. When finished put card in phone and choose the "erase SD card" option in settings/storage then reboot phone. BootIt worked on my 8GB micro SD card as well as my 16GB flash drive.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Try BootIt. Can't remember where it's located, but Google search should pull it up pretty easy.

bjzapp

Where did u hear tht word
Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
What is the advantage of using the MiniPartition tool program? It is able to format, wipe, re-partition and rename partitions....all of this (maybe without the renaming) can be done using the phone.
I mean, I installed it on Windows just to check it out but still don't understand using it or the need to.
??

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
You can't use the phone/recovery to format the partition to ext.2 or FAT32. FAT32 is used with Froyo ROMs.
Thank EarthnFire78 for the option in the ZenGarden recovery that formats the partition to ext.4 or back to ext.3.

Thanks to him there is now no reason to use MiniTool Partition Wizard for Gingerbread, Jellybean, or most ICS ROMs.

LCP5

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
WELL..... WELL ........
What most of you guys are saying is true but has anyone considered the situation where you are to deal with a phone having an internal sd [samsung google nexus s]?
I have.....
Now that ur sd card is messed up and not showing neither on the phone nor on ur pc,
1- what u've got to do is to download the latest TWRP recovery from here...Techerrata Downloads - Browsing crespo
2-Flash it to ur device using fastboot
3- In TWRP recovery mode, Goto WIPE>tick sd card> swipe the slider to proceed
4-To reboot sytem on completion, press "return twice" and select Reboot>System
5-U re DNE!.............
***Good Luck knowing that, u now have regained control :D!!****
[if u don't know how to flash recovery follow this post from androidlegend :..http://androidlegend.com/twrp-recovery-for-google-nexus-s/]

upconvert

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't think that version of twrp will work on the optimus. TheKraven's build for the optimus S will, though. It's over in the S forum.

vector84an

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
The (HTC) Google Nexus S is an ENTIRELY different phone from the LG Optimus S ...

And you can wipe your internal (if you have one) or external SD cards from most well supported recoveries for a given phone... so not exactly sure what that post is about...
(if they weren't links to official twrp builds... I'd wonder if it was a phishing attempt... but idk)

PS: since I'm posting in this thread... secondary partitions on SD cards shouldn't be more than 20% of the total size of the card.
Windows also has an interaction with internal (but not most USB based) SD card readers that can cause similar problems.

The common theme? A full wipe of the card (make a backup of your stuff first...) should salvage the missing space - managing the backup and restore is generally easier with a computer, but not necessary...

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Not if the headers are messed up. For that you need BootIt. You can also use the ZenGarden recovery to wipe just the ext partition with no adverse affects to the main FAT32 partition (have done this several times)

Joseph George2

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
there is an easy way get a java phone and insert the sd card to it then open gallery open memmory card it says mem not formated format mem then press yes i will formated then remove mem connect it usnig a card reder and open minitoolpartion select mem and do this

delete partion then right click on it and select create and lebel it android-sd and lebel it primary and add full mem to it and apply changes then exit done :)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I think the problem was the partition table was messed up (easy to fix with a linux OS and Gparted, but not so easy to do with windows). Mini Tool and EaseUS can't fix the Partition table.

Iro Rhyz

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
I was trying to make a partition of my sd card but mistakenly clicked then messed up the "internal storage" (2gigs aside from my phone storage of 512 mb only) instead of the sd card. Can please help me to recover it? The internal storage is no longer seen in "storage" of my phone.
Thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish