Ubuntu Phone?

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else want to try it? The source is expected to be released in or after February.

I know it's not android but it looks interesting.
Sent from my Transformer TF101

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else want to try it? The source is expected to be released in or after February.

I know it's not android but it looks interesting.
Sent from my Transformer TF101

If it worked on our phones I'd check it out

Tapatalk'n it from my VM670 running OM-Mandylion IHO on LS670ZVJ firmware

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Can't wait to put it on my GSM Galaxy Nexus!

Don't get me wrong, I love my N4 & the quad-core is much appreciated, but compared to my GNex there's nothing all that new with my N4 to interest me so February can't come soon enough!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Can't wait to put it on my GSM Galaxy Nexus!

Don't get me wrong, I love my N4 & the quad-core is much appreciated, but compared to my GNex there's nothing all that new with my N4 to interest me so February can't come soon enough!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

I am looking to get a N4 or Samsung Galaxy S3. But its tempting to get a GNex just for this.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I have a version of Ubuntu on the computer with true inteli-hide app bar (the Unity desktops app bar is a vertical bar on the left side). The original versions app bar even in hide mode took up too much space on the screen which forced me to resize all forum pages except Ubuntus.
For our sake I hope it has the Gnome desktop environment. Everything is intergrated in to a taskbar running horizontally across the top (just the opposite of Windows).

Curiosity has got the better of me now. I guess we need some links to screen shots.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

leesumm

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I tried ubuntu on the PC , if its the same on the phone as it is on the PC , forget it. Its simple but it hangs, stops and a lot of glitches in the system. Wouldn't even find the wireless on the PC.

EarthnFire78

YAY!!! ME :)
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I tried ubuntu on the PC , if its the same on the phone as it is on the PC , forget it. Its simple but it hangs, stops and a lot of glitches in the system. Wouldn't even find the wireless on the PC.

I have the same problem with wireless no matter the Linux Distro I use and the blame really goes to Realtek not the Linux Distro for the wireless problem, so I just use the wired network cable instead.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
You can only do so much with closed source drivers often you guys need a wrapper script to make the windows driver work on Linux. I'm running mint which is Debian based same as Ubuntu and I have zero issues with any of my hardware.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Ubuntu, AFAIK, stopped supporting armv6 some time ago, and so I doubt their new toy would work on the Optimus line.
you might be able to grab their source and try to recompile it for armv6 but even if you can, the repos won't work cause they'll pull armv7 code.
you could use the debian repos instead, they support older arm cores (listed as 'armel' I believe)
and debian commmand-line runs ok on the optimus v but there's tricks needed to use x with anything but a super-slow VNC connection (the nastiest trick is building the x driver for the msm series for armv6. the ones in ubuntu repo are for armv7, and the debian sid prebuilts want a 'hf' or hard-float debian install to drop into. then you have to get surfaceflinger out of the way to use the x driver... on and on it goes. )
anyone who wants can correct me with better info:p

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I would love to revitalize this old phone. I'd use the CM9 or 10 but it seems all development has stopped on those.
thekraven's CAI cm9 has been working well for me... wireless tether is the only thing I've found that I miss. Swype beta's voice recognition works with the mic unlike the Google-ware.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Have y'all tried WishNu. Downloaded image is 1.5 GB but it does work easy as pie to get a debain OS on the phone. Once the image was downloaded I selected "Start" and after everything went green I selected "show desktop". There was a debain OS with a X11 desktop environment and iceweasel for a browser staring me in the face.
Because we don't have hard keyboard you have to set up things to use your computers which takes the portability out of it. If someone could figure out how to set up a virtual keyboard in the desktop environment it would definitely be worth it. It's pretty lean without
a lot of downloaded pkgs.
Need to have keyboard for sure to download and install pkgs..
Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia