Cwm 4.0.1.5 with what appears to be broken sd card reader

Brent Patton

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
What ROM are you flashing?

I'm using the mirage file you recommended but I am doing it using this method [Solved] Flash ROM without SD Card? Using Fastboot Help - xda-developers

All of the recoveries - both the stock and custom recoveries - look for a "command" file when they first start up.

It literally is named "command", i.e.: /cache/recovery/command

... and it is a simple text file with as few as one line(s) in it.

Here is an example from the most recent OTA of the contents of /cache/recovery/command:
Code:
--update_package=CACHE:8e3b63f96149.OTA_Desire_C_Verizon_WWE_2.37.605.4_2.36.605.1_release.zip
basically, it's just a single line with the following format:

--update_package=CACHE:filename.zip

So, if you are trying to get an installer to run without an SD card, you would:

1) Boot to Amon_RA
2) Wipe the cache if necessary (wipe -> wipe data/factory reset also clears /cache)
3) Push your zip file to cache:
Code:
adb push mycustominstall.zip /cache/
4) Create a command file (say, named "command.txt") with the contents:
Code:
--update_package=CACHE:mycustominstall.zip
5) Push it to the phone:
Code:
adb push command.txt /cache/recovery/command
6) reboot directly back into recovery with
Code:
adb shell reboot recovery
When the recovery boots up again, it will immediately start unpacking your "mycustominstall.zip" file.

After I thought this all the way through, I realized, though: a lot of the ROM files are only about 100 MB, and cache is about 128 Mb, so

.... wait for it .....

... wait for it ....

it might be a worthwhile experiment to just push an untouched ROM file right to cache and then use that ROM file's name in your "command" file.

So long as /sbin/recovery does not unpack files to /cache (I can't remember if it does this or not!), you could use original ROM files -- just what you wanted originally. If it unpacks things to cache, though, it will only get part way through the install and fail.

It's worth a shot; if it fails, you'll have a mess that is no worse to clean up than what you've presently got. (If it fails, to be on the safe side it might be wise to go in using adb and clean things up in /cache a little bit so that the next recovery boot has some wiggle room in /cache - e.g. "adb shell rm -rf /cache/*" )

bftb0

EarthnFire78

YAY!!! ME :)
Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm using the mirage file you recommended but I am doing it using this method [Solved] Flash ROM without SD Card? Using Fastboot Help - xda-developers

All of the recoveries - both the stock and custom recoveries - look for a "command" file when they first start up.

It literally is named "command", i.e.: /cache/recovery/command

... and it is a simple text file with as few as one line(s) in it.

Here is an example from the most recent OTA of the contents of /cache/recovery/command:
Code:
--update_package=CACHE:8e3b63f96149.OTA_Desire_C_Verizon_WWE_2.37.605.4_2.36.605.1_release.zip
basically, it's just a single line with the following format:

--update_package=CACHE:filename.zip

So, if you are trying to get an installer to run without an SD card, you would:

1) Boot to Amon_RA
2) Wipe the cache if necessary (wipe -> wipe data/factory reset also clears /cache)
3) Push your zip file to cache:
Code:
adb push mycustominstall.zip /cache/
4) Create a command file (say, named "command.txt") with the contents:
Code:
--update_package=CACHE:mycustominstall.zip
5) Push it to the phone:
Code:
adb push command.txt /cache/recovery/command
6) reboot directly back into recovery with
Code:
adb shell reboot recovery
When the recovery boots up again, it will immediately start unpacking your "mycustominstall.zip" file.

After I thought this all the way through, I realized, though: a lot of the ROM files are only about 100 MB, and cache is about 128 Mb, so

.... wait for it .....

... wait for it ....

it might be a worthwhile experiment to just push an untouched ROM file right to cache and then use that ROM file's name in your "command" file.

So long as /sbin/recovery does not unpack files to /cache (I can't remember if it does this or not!), you could use original ROM files -- just what you wanted originally. If it unpacks things to cache, though, it will only get part way through the install and fail.

It's worth a shot; if it fails, you'll have a mess that is no worse to clean up than what you've presently got. (If it fails, to be on the safe side it might be wise to go in using adb and clean things up in /cache a little bit so that the next recovery boot has some wiggle room in /cache - e.g. "adb shell rm -rf /cache/*" )

bftb0

Push the zip to the data partition as the cache partition is to small. The text should look like this "--update_wiped=/data/nameofthezip.zip"

What it turned out to be, was the command to write the to the command file was wrong.

EarthnFire78

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
This gives me an idea AndyOpie150, because of the way that ZenGarden is setup this kind of install well not work as things are wiped after then auto backup is complete, so the zip well also be wiped. So tomorrow well start writing a new packages install command.

Code:
--update_nosdcard

EarthnFire78

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok so either method I use gives me the signature verification failed Installation aborted. do I need to use a different rom?

The only thing that would cause that is if the recovery used a different testkey for the signature verification, which would not make since the testkey is only 4 years old and is the OTA one in source builds, and I know that mrg666 ROMS are singed with the right testkey. The only other thing it could be is a bad download.

Brent Patton

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Update. I was able to get it to run through the install process with the BACKside-IHO-VM670 rom but it is still booting into recovery
ro.baseband=unknown
ro.carrier=unknown
ro.bootloader=unknown
ro.hardware=thunderc
ro.revision=0
init.sc.recovery=running
init.svc.adbd=running
I:checking for extended command, file not found...
mtd: successfully wrote block at c2a6800000000
I:set boot command ""

that is what the log shows

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Very-Annoyed