I thought ROMs were supposed to get better over time?

All of mine start out perfect, but gradually slow down after a few boots, eventually degrading into random reboots and eventually, freezing during the reboot screen.

Any ideas?

I love the notification menu of JB, so Im trying to get PAC ROM to work...Are there any froyo ROMs with the JB notification menus functionality?
    03-12-2013 12:43 PM
    It happens occasionally, particularly if you have a lot of apps and/or widgets. As they update and leave behind junk files, and other random things accumulate, your rom can get bogged down. I recomend installing a new rom, setting up everything how you like it, install all of your apps, then make a nandroid. If you are using a recovery where you can change the backup name, then label it so you will remember that that's the one with the good setup. Then when things start to fall apart, just restore that good nandroid.

The PAC rom is definitely worth getting. Setup is like any other new rom. Wipe everything except sdcard. Flash the rom, gapps, the new cronmod fixed int2ext+ (assuming you have partitioned your sd card with an ext4 partition), flash the virgin patch. The first boot may take a little longer than other roms, maybe up to 10 min or so. If you ever see the boot animation get stuck (the color of the lg logo stops changing) pull the battery, hold down the power button for 30 seconds, reinsert the battery, and power up.
    03-12-2013 12:57 PM
    Maaybe i did the patches in the wrong order... Any way to get rid of the junk files leftover after installs?
    03-12-2013 01:21 PM
    Which PAC gapps should i use?
    03-12-2013 01:27 PM
    Which PAC gapps should i use?
    gapps-jb42-kraven-mini3. Idk if the order matters, but that's the way I did it, and it worked for me.

As for getting rid of junk files, idk. In general if I have an app that I haven't used in a few months I uninstall it, and delete the files from the sd card. If you have an app that is frequently making things run sluggish, uninstall it, delete all of it's files, then download and install it from the play store. That might help, but probably not. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
    03-12-2013 01:48 PM
    Low RAM is the biggest cause of sluggish performance.
    I use a cache cleaner calked SD Maid, and an app called Fast Reboot which safely closes all apps and only opens back up those that are needed. Frees up 10-15MB of RAM.

Always keep tabs on your RAM. When it gets below 50% it's time to clean and run Fast Reboot.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums
    03-12-2013 02:53 PM
    Redchigh, mind detailing your flashing process? Switching between roms if everything isn't wiped correctly there could still be bits and pieces left behind. This could cause the trouble you've described.

Tapatalk'n it PAC-Rom style! Android 4.2.2 on my VM670 running LS670ZVJ firmware
    03-12-2013 11:31 PM
    +1 ^

03-13-2013 07:02 AM
    i hate when ROMs don't work on the first time..... Lol...

When i flash a rom I:
    Wipe cache and dalvik
    Run int2sd tool to wipe dalvik
    In mounts I format everything except SD card
    Then to be safe i use Factory reset from cwm to wipe again
    Flash ROM... Gapps... Etc....
    Wipe cache and dalvik again
    Go to mounts and make sure everything is mounted.
    Reboot
    03-13-2013 10:22 AM
    You can probably skip the wipes after you flash, but i don't see why that would cause your problems. Do you have another SD card you could try for a while?

03-13-2013 10:37 AM
    Uunfortunately.. No. Just the one card :/
    03-13-2013 11:25 AM
    Edit:Eyes and brain not on same page. Sorry.
    Now I got it together.

upconvert could be on to something

How big is your SD card and how big is the partition? You should only use no more than 20% of the actual space available for the partition.
    If you have a 4GB SD card then you can only have less than an 800MB partition. Most SD ext apps and scripts need at least a 1GB partition and work best with a 2GB partition (16GB SD card).

Your SD card could be corrupt as well.
    If it is try BootIt. Download to computer. Insert SD card into computer. Run program and select yes to all prompts. This will fix any corruption, but will also delete partition.
    The ZenGarden recovery will allow you to partition the SD card AND Format it to ext.4 or back to ext.3. You never have to take SD card out of the phone to create partition unless you need to format to FAT32.

03-13-2013 11:40 AM
    Redchigh, if your doing a full wipe as you described you don't need to use the int2sd dalvik wipe tool. It's just for doing updates or installing mods that require a dalvik wipe. That still shouldn't cause problems though.
    Not sure what the problem is but I'd try backing up the sdcard and repartition / reformat. What format is your ext partition?

Tapatalk'n it PAC-Rom style! Android 4.2.2 on my VM670 running LS670ZVJ firmware
    AndyOpie150 likes this.
    03-13-2013 11:56 AM
    I think its ext3, and about a GB on a 8 GB card.

Might be moot.. I downloaded an app to watch my ram and set it to always keep at least 35% free... Everything is stable...
    upconvert likes this.
    03-14-2013 03:08 AM
    Some roms do this naturally, others do it due to apps loading up memory in the background.

Ad supported apps make it significantly worse.
    AndyOpie150 likes this.
    03-16-2013 03:41 AM
    Mine slows down after about two months. I have it almost full of apps, but I don't add or remove apps very often. I boot to recovery and wipe cache/dalvik cache when it starts to get slow, about every two months, and that fixes it.
    03-17-2013 05:08 PM
    Not the best idea! Some recoverys don't get that option right.
    Better to open a terminal emulator up ( found in the PlayStore) and type in:
    su
    fix_permissions

03-17-2013 07:16 PM