Just rooted Optimus v. Looking for rom

Chris Burns

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I just rooted my optimus v and i am looking for a rom. I cant find rom manager that works with my phone. So how should i backup before i install a rom. What roms are out right now?

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Flashing the recovery that's in ROM manager is a no no. Downloading and installing the two Gingerbread ROMs listed is still bad news.
That's it.

I use ROM Manager very effectively to manage my backups.
I can rename or delete an existing backup.

I can name a backup before backing up the ROM, back up the ROM, and have it boot back into current ROM all from the app, Basically pick a name, select ok, set phone down for 5-7 minutes, come back to phone already booted back into ROM with everything done.

I can set up ROM Manager to auto backup my Currently installed ROM at scheduled intervals during the Week (premium version).

The Fix permissions option works, same as opening up a terminal and typing it in.

You can flash a ROM that doesn't require any Gapps, and then have it auto boot into new ROM.
You can flash a ROM and Gapps with the premium version and obijohn's or LeslieAnn's wiper zips and have it auto boot into new ROM.
Everything is set up from the app, set the phone down, come back in 7-10 minutes with everything done and phone booted into new ROM.

All this and a little more can also be done with the ZenGarden recovery, not just a ClockworkMod recovery.

I wrote a sticky over at AF that explains everything.
It started out as a watch out sort of tutorial, but I am honest to a fault, so I posted just the facts.
I learned it was pretty cool for doing several things while saving time and energy.

Just don't flash the recovery, or the two Gingerbread ROMs.
The two Froyo ROMs are ok to flash as they where submitted by there developer.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Redchigh

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I prefer clockwork recovery... And PAC ROM from the optimus S forum. (Don't forget to grab the int2sd script as well)

I love jellybean :p

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
You have to remember, the OP just rooted. Let him take it easy and learn a few things.
Let him install the best recovery for our phone with the most functionality of any recovery we have ever had.
Let him install the fastest, smoothest, most reliable ROM for our phone, backed up by the aforementioned recovery.

Then he has something to compare everything else to.

upconvert

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
How do i go about installing what you have mentioned in lamens terms? I am trying to get ahang of all this..

The directions are in the sticky "simplified root + recovery + custom ROM" The methods there are good but the files are out of date.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/optimus-v-rooting-roms-hacks/108282-how-simplified-root-recovery-custom-rom.html

Before you start you may want to download titanium backup or mybackup root from the play store to back up you apps and all of their data. You can restore these once you have your new rom working.

Since you are already rooted, you can start at step 4. Instead of the recovery image listed there, get the zen garden recovery image here (download the image (.img) not the zip):

http://forums.androidcentral.com/optimus-v-rooting-roms-hacks/177304-recovery-zengarden-2-0-3-3-t-01-30-2013-a.html

You can download and install Flash Image gui from the play store. You can then use that to flash the zen garden recovery image.

Download the rom.zip and gapps.zip (they will have longer filenames) from here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/optimus-v-rooting-roms-hacks/179602-rom-kernel-mirage-cm7-2-iho-03122013-a.html

You can pick up the steps from the guide using those two files. Basically, you will boot to your new recovery, make a nandroid backup of your current rom, wipe(format) the boot, system, data, cache and dalvik cache. You will then install the rom.zip and gapps.zip. When you reboot your phone, you should have a new working rom. You can go through ans set it up like you like it, and restore your apps with titanium.

upconvert

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
so i was playing with it and got cm7 installed on it. but my gapps isnt working keeps saying server error. do i have the wrong apk for gapps?

Gapps come as a .zip that should be flashed in recovery, just like the ROM.

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Android Central Forums

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I got it all figured out and everything is working fine. Sofar I love cm7. What else is out there?

If you read the last link I left, all questions will have been answered. Inside that link is a link to a repository of Guides, recovery's, ROMs, kernels, and other goodies.

That's why I left it. The most help, in one link that's possible.

Edit: Sorry. I made mention of the All Things Root Guide sticky but forgot to leave a link. Fixed.

Last edited:

Chris Burns

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I think I have a good understanding of it now. The only problum I am having now is the computer will not recognize the phone anymore. Thanks for all your help..

_alexkta

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
And also if you ever want to go to ics I would suggest Paranoid Android by thekraven its stable enough to be a daily driver

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7