[Kernel][android_kernel_lge_msm7x27-3.0.x][bigsuperkernel-3.08]

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: [SOURCE][ALPHA][android_kernel_lge_msm7x27-3.0.x (3.0.8)]

Good stuff! Are you still running this with the PAC ROM? Is the Bluetooth working?

Sent from my GT-P7310 using AC Forums mobile app
yes, with PAC and JBC.
yes, everything works but the accelerometers and notification of the charger.
No reboots since "fixing" battery code! even on my in-use phone.
fixing in the most general sense, that is. The battery info only refreshes after screen off/screen on. While messing with slightly modified stock msm_battery.c, it would recognize the charger after screen off/on as well. Looking into that as time permits.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

dang, I wanked the AHB overclock code a bit. (in arch/arm/mach-msm/acpuclock-7201.c)
I put it in the section labelled 7627 cdma, but the init process loads the table for 7627 gsm instead.
should be fixed now.
kanged OC settings from iscream-thunder-rebase. I wasn't aware that the AHB OC was built into that already... always on by default, #defined in the acpuclock.c
As I recall, there was a lot of fine-tuning of the OC including remove bad frequencies put into that kernel.

also the kernel command line needs lge.rev=10 appended to the end for the accelerometer init in board-thunderc-input.c to start the correct device (kr3dh instead of kr3dm)... 'mem=471M console=ttyMSM2,115200n8 androidboot.hardware=thunderc lge.rev=10' (thanks tdmcode on xda)
read that post years ago but had forgotten.
not that the accelerometer or compass is working yet, but at least it tries to start the correct hardware.

Last edited:

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

So awesome that you're still making progress on this! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

evox2008

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site

Are you kidding? If my wife's OV gets a 4.2.2 upgrade she'll never leave VM. You guys are so amazing!

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

I like my OV. best $50 phone ever.
my first and only android experience. and 4.2.2 kicks so much a** over the froyo junk that comes with the phone, I completely understand the interest.
since I'm so cheap I'll probably not let go of it for years to come, I'm trying my best to contribute to the open-source community keeping this little beastie alive. The android ROM devs are the real driving force, I suggest contributing to them (somehow or another) to keep 'em interested in building for our obsolete devices. Even <thanks> can help with that.
LG's website says the OV is discontinued. Surprise, surprise, LG support is awful anyway. Still better than Polaroid, though, they've repeatedly ignored me asking for GPL release of their kernel code for my tablet except telling me "in two months" last November....

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

<circus music playing> I found a poor copy of the MSM7627 chipset datasheet :) <music ends>
had a real copy once, lost it in a hard drive crash, it was deleted from zefie's persona files and i couldn't get it back until I searched google for about 4 hours tonight... Qualcomm doesn't like that info being out, apparently!
hopefully it'll help with the regulator voltages and such since some differ from the MSM7227 in the p500. If I can decipher the blasted thing, it's kinda thick. 78 pages of variable names and much much more.
I'm posting it cause it's gotten really hard to find, even though the big Q considers the chipset obsolete and won't support it anymore. With some luck, since they have dropped support, they'll not be so vigilant about removing the file as they used to be.
Maybe someone else can use the info as well.

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

Whew! That's a hell of a read! I just gave it a cursory glance and the majority of it is way over my head. If one can have a favorite part of a technical document, mine is this:

Qualcomm Confidential and Proprietary
MAY CONTAIN U.S. AND INTERNATIONAL EXPORT CONTROLLED INFORMATION

It seems to be on every other page or so. Thanks again for putting in all this effort. I'm really looking forward to giving this kernel a spin!

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

Once there's enough stated interest, or after I fix the accelerometers (or at least finish fixing the battery code enough so that it acknowledges charging,) I'll put up a flashable zip for suckers... I mean victims... I mean brave users... to play with.
It seems stable now, at least. Haven't gotten a single reboot for days now since tweaking the battery and OC code, except from trying to run at 864 MHz. Nether of my devices could hang at max OC with any other kernel, anyway, and actually 844 is better than I'm used to being able to use...
This is quite a bit of fun. (eek, my geek is showing again!)

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

Um, 844 is ridiculous! I'm perfectly happy with my 748, but hey, no reason not to test limitations. ;)

By the way, how's battery life on PAC or JBC? With previous kernels, I get pretty dismal battery life on either of those ROMs. I've got no reason to suspect that a 3.0 kernel would improve battery life, but I'm interested to know if it makes a difference.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

Um, 844 is ridiculous! I'm perfectly happy with my 748, but hey, no reason not to test limitations. ;)

By the way, how's battery life on PAC or JBC? With previous kernels, I get pretty dismal battery life on either of those ROMs. I've got no reason to suspect that a 3.0 kernel would improve battery life, but I'm interested to know if it makes a difference.
Anything I've run, the main battery suckers are the radio, wifi, and gps. if you turn off data, wifi, and gps when not in use you can get days out of a single charge. Airplane mode can last over a week with light app usage. Phone calls and messaging also eat battery.
PAC, I've gotten about half a day at 30% drain with the wifi on and not connected to network, with data and gps off. That's my daily driver. Got most of a day with about 15% drain with the wifi, data, and gps off.
JBC, I had the phone sitting all day in airplane mode and it didn't even drop 1% from the battery. Doublechecked it by putting it in my wife's OV, and it still read 100%.
I doubt it's the kernel, just my usage patterns.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

bump.
I feel this is stable enough to let people play with now since it doesn't reboot on me anymore unless pushed to the limits.
Alpha binary release for the brave-of-heart.
Enjoy.

BTW, this is only my second public software release. The first was a J2ME file downloader for my Rumor Touch (also VM.) When it didn't work as well as I hoped, I made a webtool for the same purpose (bypassing VM's server-side block on downloading .jar and .jad files,) and it was used by several different people worldwide for months until some goober hacked the page and got my free hosting shut down.

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Kernel][ALPHA][android_kernel_lge_msm7x27-3.0.x (3.0.8)]

Is it correct, as it says in the OP that the kernel is 3 bytes, and the keyswap patch is 132 bytes?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

hmm, my browser view doesn't show any filesizes.
the kernel downloads correctly at 3.77 MB
edit: firefox show the sizes ok on my laptop instead of android.

Last edited:

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

No big deal. Downloads fine and works fantastic! Can't wait to try out the new JBC builds!

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

_alexkta

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

Just been wondering what's an accelerometer

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

Basically it's what your phone uses to determine how it's being held. When you tilt your phone to one side it's the accelerometer that realizes it and tells the OS to rotate the screen.

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

upconvert

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

Just wanted to let you know, I flashed over CAI, and the bluetooth audio works fine. I'm guessing that there is a problem with PAC and JBC that prevents it from working, so you probably won't be able to fix that with your kernel. I'm gonna try a few of the audio patches on JBC and see what I can get going.

Thanks again for you work on this kernel!

flapjack.fiasco

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

I don't have any bluetooth devices to test, but I did go ahead and try overclocking to 844, and to my surprise, I've had zero reboots! So smooth! Thanks so much!

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

_alexkta

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

Just wanted to let you know, I flashed over CAI, and the bluetooth audio works fine. I'm guessing that there is a problem with PAC and JBC that prevents it from working, so you probably won't be able to fix that with your kernel. I'm gonna try a few of the audio patches on JBC and see what I can get going.

Thanks again for you work on this kernel!

Has it been working good on ics?

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

how's the clock lag on cai?
it might be a kernel issue with the bt not being up to date to match 4.2.2, I merged GB into the board-thunderc-snd.c
Will look at that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX